Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Langley , British Columbia
Battery charging on solar NOT shore power

We have a new 2018 Classic. Towed it to a new camp 2 days ago. Set up to 50 amp shore power. Turned on 2 AC to cool things down for about an hour while we were out. Came back and smelled a slight burning wire stink. Everything seemed fine, later noticed that the 120 v outlets were dead. GFCI outlet had tripped, re-set it all worked.

Noticed that the solar display said battery level was 80%, usually after towing it is 100%, the voltage was dropping to about 12.3.

Next day in the bright sun the level went to 100%, then in the evening drained down to 60% and went into the red zone.

I reset the breakers inside and at the shore power, still not charging.

Any suggestions for this rank newbie?
rmroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Be sure that your battery is in 'use' setting not 'store' on your firefly. It seems to be hit or miss on whether some trailers are wired to take the batteries offline from the charger when in 'store' mode. Earlier model years, definitely. 2018, supposedly the charger is online even if batteries are in 'store' more--or they are supposed to be. Yours might not be. Might not be your issue but worth trying.
TEST: When plugged in to shore power and batteries are charging, voltage should always show 13.Xv, as the monitor is reading the charge from the charger, not the batteries themselves. Are you getting that 12.3v reading when plugged in to shore power? If so, try switching to 'Use' mode and see if the voltage jumps to 13.x.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
I'm getting 12.1 on the Firefly monitor on 50 Amp shore power. I can't find a "Use" mode anywhere. Am I missing something?
Old 09-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmroy View Post
I'm getting 12.1 on the Firefly monitor on 50 Amp shore power. I can't find a "Use" mode anywhere. Am I missing something?
There is a battery disconnect setting somewhere in the firefly menus. There should also be another switch (a red one) on the control panel by the door. On 2018, it isn't supposed to matter if the batteries are disconnected or not...but I'd test it anyway. If you unplug your shore power...do all the lights and other 12v items go off? This would confirm that your battery is in "disconnect' or 'store' mode. With shore power unplugged, and you press the red switch by the door, multiple times, the lights should go off and on as you press the switch each time. Then the lights are "on", the batteries are in 'use' mode. Then plug the shore power back in and the voltage should jump to 13.X.
If you confirm that your batteries are in "use" or 'connected' mode, and still not charging...then obviously it's another issue. Make sure the 120v (home style) breaker for the converter/charger in your power center is not tripped. If all checks out, warranty time...the 'burning' smell might indicate a failure of the converter/charger.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
I don't see one in the Firefly menu but there is a red one buy the door. Tested the switch as suggested several times. Voltage still at 12.1.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
I don't see one in the Firefly menu but there is a red one buy the door. Tested the switch as suggested several times. Voltage still at 12.1.
There's one in the Firefly menu...but I can't remember where. Maybe a fellow Classic owner will chime in. But anyway, you pressed the switch at the door, and the voltage didn't change? It's time for the dealer, sorry to say. And to reconfirm, with 2018, the batteries should charge if plugged in to shore power *whether or not* the batteries are in 'use' or 'store'. Assuming your breaker for the converter/charger is not tripped, and the batteries aren't charging...then there is likely an issue with the converter/charger. There are ways to test that if you have a multi-meter and comfortable doing so. If not...on to the dealer.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Do you have a surge protector on your trailer? Better yet, do you have an EMS ( = super surge protector)? It sounds a bit like you took a surge "hit" from the campground power post.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Seems to me these replies are ignoring a key factor: "Came back and smelled a slight burning wire stink." That says to me there's something seriously wrong, and it needs to be found and corrected ASAP.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
Seems to me these replies are ignoring a key factor: "Came back and smelled a slight burning wire stink." That says to me there's something seriously wrong, and it needs to be found and corrected ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Tthe 'burning' smell might indicate a failure of the converter/charger.
It's always worth going through a basic testing protocol that can help confirm the culprit though. In this case, it does sound like the charger is toast.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Yikes!

The battery is now below 12 Volts. How low can it go before I do damage? We aren't able to have it serviced for at least a week. Can I run just on shore power some way?
Old 09-29-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You are already in the area of battery damage. You need to get a charger on it ASP. Maybe just buy a battery charger from Walmart and hook it up to buy time to trouble shoot the problem. Are you camping or living in it now. If flooded cell batteries you will damage them. If AGM you might go so low a normal charger will not see them.

I think your converter is blown or cut off in some fashion. My guess is blown.

You may be able to disconnect the batteries and just run the 110 stuff. But the refergirator will not work nor will the gas alarm, fans, water pump, and the 12 volt lights.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
The battery is now below 12 Volts. How low can it go before I do damage? We aren't able to have it serviced for at least a week. Can I run just on shore power some way?
Unhook the neg cable(s) and stay plugged in. Your converter will supply the 12v you need.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think If the converter was working he would not be at 12 volts.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
You are already in the area of battery damage. You need to get a charger on it ASP. Maybe just buy a battery charger from Walmart and hook it up to buy time to trouble shoot the problem. Are you camping or living in it now. If flooded cell batteries you will damage them. If AGM you might go so low a normal charger will not see them.

I think your converter is blown or cut off in some fashion. My guess is blown.

You may be able to disconnect the batteries and just run the 110 stuff. But the refergirator will not work nor will the gas alarm, fans, water pump, and the 12 volt lights.
We are living in it. I'm going to rush our now and get a charger. They are AGM. 2 of them, not sure how to charge them. We are in panic mode!
Old 09-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I think If the converter was working he would not be at 12 volts.
Well, disconnect and find out. 👍 It may be the battery that was the stinker. If the converter is working it should supply 12v & AC w/o batteries in the loop.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
We are living in it. I'm going to rush our now and get a charger. They are AGM. 2 of them, not sure how to charge them. We are in panic mode!
Hi

Do you have a surge suppressor on the trailer?

Since this is the second time I've asked, I'm guessing you don't have one. Get one. They will keep you from having these problems in the future.

The surge blew your converter and possibly other things in your trailer. It should be carefully gone through to figure out what was damaged. It may be unsafe to be in until you do so. It could catch fire and kill you.

Hopefully that caught your attention ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #17

2018 33' Classic
Kingsport , Illinois
We experienced similar issues. After checking out batteries and converter, it turned out to be a faulty breaker - 4th one from the left, 15 amp. Although it wasn't tripped all the time, it had an internal failure.
ChicagoPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #18
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
A casual observation... if switching from USE or STORE and thus charging via the converter... and expecting and instantaneous change is not reality. It could take a minute or three for converter / charger to bring voltage up a noticeable value.

However as was pointed out, investigate what was burning. Could be a converter bit the dust or even a hot or neutral wire was not tight and burned in two at breaker or the busbar in the power center. Or one of several other things.

I hope you have found the problem and are back up by now.

Clint
Old 10-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Do you have a surge suppressor on the trailer?

Since this is the second time I've asked, I'm guessing you don't have one. Get one. They will keep you from having these problems in the future.

The surge blew your converter and possibly other things in your trailer. It should be carefully gone through to figure out what was damaged. It may be unsafe to be in until you do so. It could catch fire and kill you.

Hopefully that caught your attention ...

Bob
We don't have a surge suppressor but will get one soon. Any recommendations?
We tried to get Coachnet to come out and have a look and repair but they wouldn't, so it will have to wait till we get back to a city.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Well, disconnect and find out. 👍 It may be the battery that was the stinker. If the converter is working it should supply 12v & AC w/o batteries in the loop.

Bob
🇺🇸
Doesn't the battery disconnect switch do the same thing, disconnect the battery?