RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-06-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Charleston , South Carolina
Batteries not charging from shore power

Hi guys I read through the posts here. Itís late and I donít have a multimeter handy. Heres my story. We left our AS plugged into 110 shore for about 3 weeks while we were gone in the ďstoreĒ position. We didnít know that was a no no. So anyways the battery was dead. We drove it about 2 hours the dropped it at a storage facility for about 3 weeks. The batteries seemed to have a little charge from being connected to the truck. We left it in ďstoreĒ again not connected to any power. We just picked it back up (discovered someone stole our propane tanks from a gated storage facility) drove it home plugged back to shore put it on ďuseĒ popped the AC on and some outside lights and went to dinner. Came home to 0 power in the trailer and the breaker flipped on the outlet in the house it was plugged in. it will barely light the digital battery monitor when toggling the use/store switch. Tried flipping breakers in the AS. No luck. Any thoughts?
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry to hear that. Iím not a battery expert so donít take this to the bank - I think if the batteries get depleted like that thereís a point they canít get charged anymore. They may be gonners. We hear a lot about brand new trailers whose batteries wonít take a charge and it seems when they sit on the lot a few months draining out with parasitic draws and not getting charged, they die.

Iím hoping Iím wrong...maybe others will chime in with better news.... good luck.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Echoing SSM . . .

Unplug from shore power and check the battery water level per owner’s manual, using safety goggles and gloves. Fill with distilled water if needed. Plug back into shore power, and monitor situation carefully . . . risk of fire . . .

Let us know what you find.

Or just take batteries out and have them tested at the battery dealer . . . simplest thing to do IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

PS — FYI a good resource for learning some of the hundreds of fine points about RV ownership, along with your AS owner’s manual:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm

LOTS to learn, in preference to using the “full scale model” [expensive] approach.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
15 amp.circuit could not handke the air, lightz and converter all at once. batterys are probably shot.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Echoing SSM . . .

Unplug from shore power and check the battery water level per owner’s manual, using safety goggles and gloves. Fill with distilled water if needed. Plug back into shore power, and monitor situation carefully . . . risk of fire . . .

Let us know what you find.

Or just take batteries out and have them tested at the battery dealer . . . simplest thing to do IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

PS — FYI a good resource for learning some of the hundreds of fine points about RV ownership, along with your AS owner’s manual:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm

LOTS to learn, in preference to using the “full scale model” [expensive] approach.

Batteries cannot be tested as to whether or not they are bad unless they have been charged as much as possible before hand. To take discharged batteries to have them tested will most likely result in being told that at other they are discharged or that time must be spent with them on a battery charger before testing can be accomplished.
Peter, the url for battery info is excellent- thanks
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for that correction, good point.

Nice signature under your post . . . WHOO HOO . . . indeed!

Peter
Old 06-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
drove it home plugged back to shore put it on ďuseĒ popped the AC on
Unless your home has a 30A outlet, then turning the AC ON would be the culprit on tripping the breaker(s).

As for your stolen tanks, sorry to hear. Here is what I've done, hopefully never to be tested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160728_143157.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	342643  
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Charging the batteries after you have flattened them is a 24 hour process. You plug in (with nothing else on) and let the shore power do its thing for a full day. You *might* get away with less, but without a bunch of testing ... who knows. A couple of hours is *not* enough to get dead batteries back into the land of the healthy ....

Batteries that have run dead several times probably are not in the greatest shape. That will compound the problems. Also most converter / chargers will look at a completely dead battery and give up. You have to get it up into the 6 to 10V range (depending on the converter / charger) before they are willing to do the job. A normal plug in the wall battery charger is the best way to get them back up above 10V.

Your RV may / may not be wired to charge with the switch in the "store" position. Many are / some are not. That is a separate issue to work out independent of the dead batteries. You *do* what to figure out how things work before you replace the batteries. Otherwise you simply will kill the new ones the same way you killed the previous set.

Is the converter / charger also toast? Sorting that out probably should wait until you have working batteries. It certainly is possible that it got killed as well.

Lots of fun !!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
I would concentrate on doing any maintenance on the batteries and then getting them charged. If you have a charger I would suggest pulling them and charging them individually then get them back in and go from there.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Bash - Here's my 0 cents worth (figured I'd charge market price) -

(1) First order of business, as said above, is to get your batteries either charged or replaced.
(2) Second, moving forward with good batteries, keep in mind that the use/store switch, at least the way it works in my trailer, is almost useless IMO and a misnomer for the "store" setting. In "store", the batteries don't charge, but there's still a drain on them. My Trimetric battery monitor shows the batteries drain slower than in "use", but they do drain. So the switch isn't completely disconnecting the batteries, thus you can't really store it this way. You have to either disconnect the battery cables or find a way to keep it plugged in and in "use" mode or use a battery tender.

(3) We have a PD4655 converter which allows us to keep plugged in to shore power with the switch in "use" - once the batteries charge, it just goes to a float/maintenance mode. I've left it this way for several weeks at a time, no problems. Other converters may or may not allow this. (We did fry/boil our first batteries with our old converter; we tend to learn the hard way.)
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Does solar feed the batteries and keep them at max? does this apply to certain year models?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Charleston , South Carolina
Sorry I canít reply to everyoneís input as there was a lot of correct advice.

So Iím traveling from SC to AZ leaving today and had to sort this out before we left. Picked up new propane tanks to replace the stolen ones from camping world. Took the batteries to Advance auto parts. They were so dead they couldnít get a read even after charging for a few hours. Drove 30 min to Interstate. Very awesome guys there, checked the fluid levels, a few really low ones and used a different battery tester. Told me 99% certain batteries are fine and need to be topped off and then charged for 24 hours. But as we are already behind schedule he could sell us two new ones at a really good deal. Our AS is a 2018 so I asked about a battery warranty, seems the batteries were from 2017 and werenít covered by warranty. However he hooked it up and still credited us for one so we paid 89$ and got out of there with two new 24s. Got home hooked up propane and batteries, everything is currently working and we are about to get on the road. Iíll post if it still fails to charge.
Cheers to you all for your help! Very much appreciated.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Good!!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I had my batteries discharge one time...plugged into shore power and they never charged back up...

I jumped the batteries with a good one....got enough power to activate the switching circuit from store to use...then the batteries charged fine.

I suspect that is why shore power did not charge for you.
DaKarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the update Bash.

Happy Trails!
Old 06-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, what to do now:

1) Check the batteries on a regular basis (like once a month) for fluid level. If they are low, top them off with distilled water. You can get it at the grocery store.

2) Figure out if your converter / charger is working. The breaker running to it is a good thing to check first if it's not.

3) Figure out what your specific use / store switch is set up to do. Mine charges both in the use and the store positions. Solar charges regardless of the switch setting.

4) You have a *very* limited amount of battery on any trailer. Airstreams are no exception. Monitoring battery level and power use is part of the deal. With care they will last for many years. You can easily kill a set in under a month by being careless. You *need* the batteries to run the breakaway stuff and to be safe.

5) Get a lock for the propane tanks ....

Hope the rest of the journey is less eventful !!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Portsmouth , Virginia
Battery storage

The propane monitor (little red light) and tank battery monitor is enough to weaken or kill your batteries. If I was in your situation I would have removed them and charged them in my garage. Also to keep them from dying I disconnect the batteries when I donít have it pulled in. I feel I donít need the propane monitor on if the tanks are shut and charge batteries lasts.
I have my AS in the driveway and have the trailer plugged in. With the summer weather I set the AC to 80 and I have a dehumidifier running in the trailer. I mean I payed serious bucks as you did for your Tommy, Iím gonna pay for the little bit of extra electricity. As for one person about going to the Blue Ridge mnts AS has a campground in Virginia in the blue ridge and itís worth the trip. The only thing it can be a challenge to find a site. You must reserve. We are going twice this year. See ya out there!
RidingmyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #18
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Let me give you another perspective on shore power battery charging. Here is a post I made three days ago. The essence of my problem is the signal that is given to the switch that activates the master solenoid when shore/generator power is applied is not latching. I went down a rat hole thinking it was my relatively old AGM's when they had nothing to do with the charging problem. As I say below, when I apply shore power the output on my converter is reading ~13.1V but when I put a meter on the batteries I am only getting the discharged voltage (ie,<12.5 V)

I am looking for enlightenment out there? I have a intermittent problem where when I connect to either shore power or generator my batteries are not being charged. I have checked the output of the converter and it is fine running at ~13.3v but intermittently the charge is not getting to the batteries, ie reading on the battery bank of <12.5v. I can toggle the master power switch back and forth and finally get the solenoid to latch properly. I called AS this morning and they said the problem was with solenoid. So...I changed out the solenoid and it does the same thing. So..called the same guy back at AS and told him that I had put a new solenoid in and it did the same thing. He then said "maybe" it is the switch. The switch is an Itell..something and seems to operate as a solid state switch. When not hooked up to shore/generator the switch seems to operate properly ie, turns everything off and turns everything on without any issues. Has anyone out there seen a bad master battery switch on an AS?
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwatkin View Post
. . .
Has anyone out there seen a bad master battery switch on an AS?
Not sure if that term applies to all Airstreams IMO. Different models/years have all kinds of different switches. If you are referring to what many have -- a Use/Store switch which toggles a solenoid/relay on and off -- here are some search results which may help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=use+...=airforums.com

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...em-188496.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...er-188009.html

We have found that at times we have to operate our Use/Store switch a couple of times to get the solenoid/relay to stick FWIW. If you turn on the overhead 12-volt lights [a mechanical switch], this operation is easy to monitor.

Good luck,

Peter
Old 06-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #20
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Yes, I guess the common term is use/store switch. The information that there might be another board between the switch and solenoid is important information. I am surprised when talking to AS that they did not mention this. Appreciate the info. Thanks, Rich
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote