Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Batteries don't seem to charge with 50 Amp service

I have a 2018 Globetrotter with factory solar. When connected to Honda 2000 generator or 20 Amp service at home my batteries show 100% and above 13 volts on the solar display panel in the coach. Also, the solar does not show any charging when connected as such.

When I am connected to 50 Amp service the same display shows 55-60% battery level and 12.4-12.5 volts. Also, during daylight the display there is some solar charging done at various times. The batteries never rise above 60% charge.

Any suggestions as this does not seem normal to me. Any settings that need to be changed anywhere?
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I have a 2018 Globetrotter with factory solar. When connected to Honda 2000 generator or 20 Amp service at home my batteries show 100% and above 13 volts on the solar display panel in the coach. Also, the solar does not show any charging when connected as such.

When I am connected to 50 Amp service the same display shows 55-60% battery level and 12.4-12.5 volts. Also, during daylight the display there is some solar charging done at various times. The batteries never rise above 60% charge.

Any suggestions as this does not seem normal to me. Any settings that need to be changed anywhere?

Is the converter getting power? Check the breaker.

Also check the voltage at the batteries. Assuming since you have factory solar that you have the AGMs. What is their voltage?
Old 09-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Transfer switch...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
What you describe sounds like the converter is not on when you are connected to 50 amp. The older trailers have a switch that turns off the converter. Does yours? Could it have been switched off or failed since you tested with the 20 amp? I assume you are applying the 20 amp and the generator through the 50 amp cord with an adaptor? Does everything else 110 work when you are connected to the 50 amp? Maybe a leg of the power you are hooked to is out?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Thanks to all! It was a breaker on the panel that was tripped. Looks like the converter breaker. We are on SC coast in Charleston and needed to get batteries up and charged before this hurricane does its thing. We were to be here for for days and then onto Myrtle Beach. Looks like we will be cutting short here and then cancelling Myrtle beach and headed west and away.

Thanks again very much!!!
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I ran into two separate campgrounds last year in which one side of the 50amp service at the pedestal was not working.

Easy test is to use your dogbone adapter and plug into the 30amp side at the pedestal. That will resolve most of your problems - except you won't be able to run two acs. And you'll know where the problem lies.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote