Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Batteries: 2013 Internation 19, Interstate SRM-24 both dead

I just took delivery of subject trailer. All is in as new condition EXCEPT both of the batteries are shot. Owner was ill and did not keep them topped off.

I will be keeping this trailer for many years and using in my landscape photography passion. Thus, I want to replace with the best and get as much "juice" out of what I can pack into the allocated box on the trailer tongue.

I am looking at these at Amazon - getting a pair of them.
Will the factory default charger properly charge a gel battery or am I stuck having to rebuilt the whole battery system?

Impressions?
Suggestions appreciated.

Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Marine Battery
by Optima
4.6 out of 5 stars 183 customer reviews | 51 answered questions
Price: $175.45
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
I just took delivery of subject trailer. All is in as new condition EXCEPT both of the batteries are shot. Owner was ill and did not keep them topped off.

I will be keeping this trailer for many years and using in my landscape photography passion. Thus, I want to replace with the best and get as much "juice" out of what I can pack into the allocated box on the trailer tongue.

I am looking at these at Amazon - getting a pair of them.
Will the factory default charger properly charge a gel battery or am I stuck having to rebuilt the whole battery system?

Impressions?
Suggestions appreciated.

Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Marine Battery
by Optima
4.6 out of 5 stars 183 customer reviews | 51 answered questions
Price: $175.45
You can get far more usable amp/hours from the same footprint by using other AGM batteries. I have been installing Lifeline AGMs for 15 years and they have proven themselves in the long run. I would also caution you about buying batteries on-line, as developing a relationship with a local source will far exceed any price savings you get from an on-line purchase in the event that you require warranty service.

And speaking of warranties, I would look at the warranty offered by the battery manufacturer. Lifeline offers a one year full replacement and 5 year pro-rated warranty for RV use.

You can all fit a pair of group 27 batteries into your existing tongue box which will provide you with 200 total amp/hours of battery capacity, of which 100 amp/hours is available for a depth of discharge of 50%

Optima batteries will give you a total of 110 amp/hours and 55 usable at 50%...... just about half of what the Lifelines will give you. There is a reason for their closer price.......half the capacity!!!

Further, if it hasn't already been completed, you should upgrade your power converter to a 'smart' 3-stage unit that will NOT send a continual 13.6VDC into your batteries on shore power. NO battery will properly charge unless they are exposed to a controlled, 3-stage charging regimen!

PS: Optimas, and most other similar types of batteries, including Lifelines, are AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) and ARE NOT GEL, which is a whole other battery type and are now considered mostly obsolete.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Listen to Lewster.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Lew,

Over the years I've seen many of your posts and grown to respect your guidance.

Initial look at your setup shows it will be an expensive upgrade BUT the time I could spend dry camping for my photography passion and having at least the ceiling fans working would be extended substantially.

So I ask, can you provide the model numbers/part number for both the AGM's AND the charger you suggest? Seems Lifeline has a vast number of parts and models to choose from and I can see it would be easy to get the wrong one to fit in the box on my 2013 International 19'.

On the charger, is it basically a "plug and play" conversion from the existing AS charger?

Jack
Old 07-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I use the interstate batteries, stock converter, the batteries last at least 6 years with the water checked twice a year.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I use the interstate batteries, stock converter, the batteries last at least 6 years with the water checked twice a year.....
My stock batteries are going on 4 years old. I keep the unit plugged in 24/7 at the house which is at least 6 months or more.
No problem with the charger nor the batteries. I check them before every trip. I must be lucky I guess.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I don't understand the benefit of AGM'S over wet cell batteries when stored outside. My battery box can easily fit two Trojan T105's at 225 amp hour, and maybe even two T145's at 260 amp hours.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Amg battery

Sorry to ask or hijack this thread but I have a 2016 classic and would be grateful to know which AMG Lifeline battery and three stage converter will fit my trailer?
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
This is what I did. Similiar outcome. Not hard.

http://currentlywandering.com/2015/0...the-airstream/
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Okay I see the information on the plug and play 3 stage converter. Can someone provide me with a lifeline battery model I will need?
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Lew,

Over the years I've seen many of your posts and grown to respect your guidance.

Initial look at your setup shows it will be an expensive upgrade BUT the time I could spend dry camping for my photography passion and having at least the ceiling fans working would be extended substantially.

So I ask, can you provide the model numbers/part number for both the AGM's AND the charger you suggest? Seems Lifeline has a vast number of parts and models to choose from and I can see it would be easy to get the wrong one to fit in the box on my 2013 International 19'.

On the charger, is it basically a "plug and play" conversion from the existing AS charger?

Jack
Jack,

I owned a 19' Bambi for 6 years.....an '06 International CCD. One of the first things I did to that trailer was replace the batteries with a pair of Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM golf cart batteries at 220 amp/hours @6VDC each, along with a new PD-4655 converter from Progressive Dynamics. These batteries were at 95% when I sold that trailer 6 years later, and they were heavily used over those 6 years. This modification requires that I place a 1-1/2" aluminum riser on the top of the battery box to accommodate the increased height of the golf cart batteries.

The easiest upgrade is to use Lifeline's group 27 size; GPL-27T which are 100 amp/hours each @12VDC. Both of these in parallel will provide you with a battery bank capacity of 200 amp/hours total. Same converter upgrade.

The group 27's will fit in your existing battery box with no modification if you place them 90º to where the originals have been placed, or transverse to the center line of the trailer.

Others may have and good luck with the original converters and Interstate batteries and I don't doubt their experiences, but I can state unequivocally that EVERY solar, inverter or battery upgrade that I do ( 35-40 per year) generally have Interstate batteries that are in poor condition, usually within the first 6 months of receiving the trailer or from the dealer! I'm sitting on 16 dead Interstates at the moment, waiting for the battery recycler to pick them up!!!

Just remember, you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to batteries!!!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:39 AM   #12
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Lew,

That's the detail I needed. Thank you.

The "easy route" works best for me at this point in time.
With that as a given, a pair of the the GPL-27T's will add about 40 pounds on the tongue of the trailer. Also reduce the 19's carrying capacity.

Does that have a negative consequence of any concern to you?

Does the charger fit in the existing place of the AS default charger or will that require modification?

Thanks!
Jack
Old 08-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
My tongue weight was increased even more than that as I used the GOL-4CT golf cart batteries. No problems noticed!

The PD-4655 is a direct replacement for your Parallax POS.

Lew Farber
Old 08-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
My tongue weight was increased even more than that as I used the GOL-4CT golf cart batteries. No problems noticed!

The PD-4655 is a direct replacement for your Parallax POS.

Lew Farber
Thanks Lew!
FYI and others following this thread.

I have now ordered as followed with source and prices:
Two Lifeline GPL 27T batteries
Source: The Solar Biz
Price: $290.97 each, total $581.94
FREE shipping! UPS ground from factory (freshest stock)

One Progressive Dynamics PD4655V
Source: Amazon
Price: $212.97
Free 2nd day shipping
Old 08-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #15
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Lew,

Just thinking, since I've gone this far, seems I have laid the foundation with the batteries and charger upgrade to add a Solar Panel?

What else would be required to complete the task of adding Solar?

Jack
Old 08-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Lew,

Just thinking, since I've gone this far, seems I have laid the foundation with the batteries and charger upgrade to add a Solar Panel?

What else would be required to complete the task of adding Solar?

Jack

A panel or two and a quality solar charge controller that has A programmable, ADJUSTABLE charging output.

Lifelines are most happy with a bulk/absorb charge of 14.2-14.4VDC and float charge of 13.2-13.4VDC, both at 77 deg. F.

Temperature compensation on the charge voltage Is also highly desirable.

Lew Farber
Old 08-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #17
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Received the batteries and installed yesterday.

Note: Must remove the bottom plastic tray AND the center threaded rod in order to get the batteries in. The fit was VERY tight. Finally got them in but I sure hope they last as there is no way of getting them out short of cutting the battery box back lip off.

Put in the charger this weekend and will advise results at that time.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #18
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Received the batteries and installed yesterday.

Note: Must remove the bottom plastic tray AND the center threaded rod in order to get the batteries in. The fit was VERY tight. Finally got them in but I sure hope they last as there is no way of getting them out short of cutting the battery box back lip off.

Put in the charger this weekend and will advise results at that time.
Put the charger in about a week ago. Everything is working great.
As I like to dry camp on occasions and anticipating a substantial improvement in battery life.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #19
Archie

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ridgeland , Mississippi
I have what I hope I can get a simple answer to a battery question. I have a 30ft, 2014 Flying Cloud, 50amp. When I come home from camping I would like to keep my two batteries charged. I keep a battery minder hooked to the batteries. In order to charge the batteries, I was told via email from Airstream, to set the "storage/in-use" switch to "in-use" in order for the minder to charge my two batteries. TRUE OR FALSE? If false, tell me what I should do to keep the batteries charged. I know I'll have to watch the water levels in the batteries. Thank you for your kind help!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
archiedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
If the battery minder is connected directly to the batteries and power, the use/store switch is best left in store position to avoid other things draining the batteries.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote