RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
draftwomyn21's Avatar
 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 34
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Hi Guys,
This is an old thread, but I'm new to this and need some advise. I purchased a pair of Bargman 99 replacement lens (new reproductions that look great). I was told that that was what was on my 1966 Overlander originally, but looking at what is on there now it appears that they might be the 4 screw school bus type that I've seen in this thread??? The one's I have now actually have 8 holes in them, but only four screws and so I'm totally confused
Does anyone know if there is an easy light assembly I can use with my new Bargman 99's, it sounds like LED's are the way to go, but I'm not sure I can build something from scratch? Just remember I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to this, I've only owned my girl 1 month and she was at the shop getting a complete systems overhaul most of that time. I would like to keep her as original as possible, but am also wanting her to be safe.
Thanks for any and all input,
Robin out
__________________
"Courage is the hallmark of the warrior"
draftwomyn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #22
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftwomyn21
Hi Guys,
This is an old thread, but I'm new to this and need some advise. I purchased a pair of Bargman 99 replacement lens (new reproductions that look great). I was told that that was what was on my 1966 Overlander originally, but looking at what is on there now it appears that they might be the 4 screw school bus type that I've seen in this thread??? The one's I have now actually have 8 holes in them, but only four screws and so I'm totally confused
Does anyone know if there is an easy light assembly I can use with my new Bargman 99's, it sounds like LED's are the way to go, but I'm not sure I can build something from scratch? Just remember I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to this, I've only owned my girl 1 month and she was at the shop getting a complete systems overhaul most of that time. I would like to keep her as original as possible, but am also wanting her to be safe.
Thanks for any and all input,
Robin out
What you have are the "other" Bargman lights, actually not Bargman, but Auto-Lite taillights.
My 1963 Overlander has those as well. There are 4 holes that allow access to the backing plate mounting screws, and 4 screws holding the lens to the backing plate.
Some say that a gallonpaint can lid can be substituted for a backing plate, of course holes need to be drilled and lamp holders installed.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
 
draftwomyn21's Avatar
 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 34
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
What you have are the "other" Bargman lights, actually not Bargman, but Auto-Lite taillights.
My 1963 Overlander has those as well. There are 4 holes that allow access to the backing plate mounting screws, and 4 screws holding the lens to the backing plate.
Some say that a gallonpaint can lid can be substituted for a backing plate, of course holes need to be drilled and lamp holders installed.
OK, so if I have Auto-Lite taillights is it OK for me to switch to the Bargman 99's I just bought? Would I be committing a major A/S no-no?
__________________
"Courage is the hallmark of the warrior"
draftwomyn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #24
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftwomyn21
OK, so if I have Auto-Lite taillights is it OK for me to switch to the Bargman 99's I just bought? Would I be committing a major A/S no-no?
Nah, I believe that the Bargmans were more popular anyways. At least lenses are still available for the Bargmans, whereas teh Auto Lites are far and few, if any.
Actually, I would not mind a spare set of the 8-hole ones, if ever anyone runs across them in nice condition.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Tom Nugler's Avatar

 
1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,171
Images: 5
Unhappy Given Up on Lenses

I,ve been trying to find the Autolamp lenses since I bought the GT 6 years ago. Rebuilt the bases and they work fine. Even found and measured some I saw on a vintage SOB with a different manufaturers name, (which escapes me now).
There was a pair of no name 4 (8) hole lights on eBay last month. Went for $225.
I'll be adding a set of the Bargman replacements to the yearly order to Inland RV.
Tom.
__________________
AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.
Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #26
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast
 
flyfshr's Avatar

 
1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I currently do not own a 2nd Airstream
Posts: 4,340
Images: 40
My plan for the rear tail/brake lights on my '59 was to add a third light assembly that I can plug in frokm the interior and put above the bathrrom vanity to show through the window only temporarily while traveling. Something in a long, rectangular shape but with minimal height filled with LEDs. Retaining the vintage appearance is vital to my renovation. Some type of mounting system maybe on the curtain rod or something similiar that could be plugged in to the existing wiring under the bathroom cabinet and put away when not towing. Sounds fairly simple to me but will probably end up being alot more work than I am imagining. Besides, I rarely tow in the dark but dusk, fog and mountain curves have low or minimal visibility.

Brad
FF
__________________
4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #27
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
My plan for the rear tail/brake lights on my '59 was to add a third light assembly that I can plug in frokm the interior and put above the bathrrom vanity to show through the window only temporarily while traveling. Something in a long, rectangular shape but with minimal height filled with LEDs. Retaining the vintage appearance is vital to my renovation. Some type of mounting system maybe on the curtain rod or something similiar that could be plugged in to the existing wiring under the bathroom cabinet and put away when not towing. Sounds fairly simple to me but will probably end up being alot more work than I am imagining. Besides, I rarely tow in the dark but dusk, fog and mountain curves have low or minimal visibility.

Brad
FF
Why not just leave that bathroom light on, then? The entire window will be like a huge taillight. It will not hurt your battery while towing, either, since it is being charged by the tow vehicle.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member
 
draftwomyn21's Avatar
 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 34
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Bargman 99 Replacement on it's way

Hi Guys,
I just purchased a beautiful set of Bargman 99 replacement lens. They were a bit pricey, but worth it I think. I contacted the seller to see if he knew of where I could find the light portion and he is reproducing that right now and expects it to be ready within the next 60 days. Here is what he wrote:

"I have the base in production right now. It should be available within the next 60 days. I promise it will be much better than the original! Send me an email directly at markbschick@comcast.net so I can capture your email and let you know when they are ready. Thanks for the help in promoting the lenses. I spent over $5,000 making the mold and I'm a long way from recovering my costs. Your help is greatly appreciated."

If his bases are as nice as the lenses they will be worth every penny he asks. I have been reading this thread with great interest and asked him if he was using LED's instead of traditional bulbs, but I haven't heard back yet.
I'll keep you posted.
Robin out
__________________
"Courage is the hallmark of the warrior"
draftwomyn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Theodore Bargman Box Craig 1978- 1979 Excella 500 26 03-16-2014 05:02 PM
Vintage Bargman Electrical Connector flyfshr Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 5 12-17-2011 07:12 AM
Needed Bargman Door lock yoderconsult Doors & Locks 6 03-24-2010 11:56 PM
Bargman #99 wedding cake Tail light needed CindyH Lights - Interior & Exterior 8 10-16-2002 09:52 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.