Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Here is the idea I was working off of. I can't find the post on Docking Lights. But I am pretty sure it was done by Oasis in AZ.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Waskom , Texas
Hi Goin Camping and NortrnNMguy;
I found that my 1966 Overlander International had a black wire from the tow connecter all the way to the back compartment. It is too small of a wire gauge to be used for the battery or charging, as it is only about 16 awg. I hooked this up to the BU lights pin on the connector and installed a single tractor light from Walmart. I also installed a similar light with a built in switch on the inside of the rear compartment door. These make late arrivals soooo much easier!

A note to NorthrnNMguy: I have a 99 F150 with the full factory towing package. My backup lights and all else work fine. Under the hood, there are three power distribution boxes beside each other. The two smaller ones have tape around them. The big one the owners manual tells you about; and two others. One of these is your relays for flashers etc. The other one, which is not very big, has fuses that go to your tow connector. I recently had a utility trailer that blew one of these (secret) fuses. My truck lights worked fine, but I had no turn signal power to the trailer. Hope this helps a little!

Happy camping!
Calvin
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I can't find the post on Docking Lights. But I am pretty sure it was done by Oasis in AZ.Aaron
well light seekers....

here is the thread i remember with the REALLY spiffy professional looking better than factory light modification...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ons-17807.html

tinhut had the work done by the weatherford texas dealer who also did mods on richL's trailer...

these are really nice...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #24

1967 17' Caravel
Bolton , Connecticut
Caravel back up lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson View Post
Just this weekend I went boondocking at a lake close by. I left late, 7 pm, arrived at the campground at 9:30 pm. We found a site, a pull thru but, I had to go the wrong way around the campground to get the door facing the site. Long story short, I had to do some manuvering to turn around.

Was I ever glad that I put the backup lights on my Caravel. The wiring was there, I just added the lights. I would have had a hard time backing up in the dark had it not been for the bright backup lights illuminating the area behind me. My TV was already equipped for the option, even has a separate circuit for them. Gotta love having a complete towing package.
Hi C Johnson,
I know this is an old thread, but perhaps you will still get this reply. I have a 1967 Caravel that I am doing some electrical upgrades to. I'd like to add back up lights, probably the ones fron Vintage Trailer Supply.
When you say that the wiring was there, do you mean that you just drilled the exterior holes and the wires were sitting in there? That would be sweet !
Thank you,
Mike
mrharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No back up lights on my 64 Bambi II. As far as I know my trailer is not wired for them either. I switched out the rear lights for LED and did not notice any spare wires.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote