Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Back up camera

Has anyone installed a backup camera in their trailer? If so do you have any pros or cons? Will
Will Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

A backup camera is a real bonus. When you want to change lanes, backing up and just checking out what is behind you, like should you pull over and let them go by.
I have nothing but pros, just love it, you will love one too.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
A backup camera is a real bonus. When you want to change lanes, backing up and just checking out what is behind you, like should you pull over and let them go by.
I have nothing but pros, just love it, you will love one too.

Been kinda curious about this, myself. What kind of setup did you go with, and how did you set it up? Any photos?

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Pictures of rear mount camera with glass open & closed & monitor in cab.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Very nice.
Can we get a little more info? Is it a kit, or did you build it from parts? Is it wireless, or is there a cable from the trailer to the tow vehicle?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

There are two cameras and monitor, they are hard wired. There is a four pin interface plug next to the trailer plug. They also have a built in microphone (the little hole in the camera) but I didn't hook up that feature. The other camera is in the rear window of the van that keeps a look on the hitch and when not in tow is the van's backup system. Great feature and has made lane changes safer.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
There are two cameras and monitor, they are hard wired. There is a four pin interface plug next to the trailer plug. They also have a built in microphone (the little hole in the camera) but I didn't hook up that feature. The other camera is in the rear window of the van that keeps a look on the hitch and when not in tow is the van's backup system. Great feature and has made lane changes safer.
how many duckets?
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Talking

lost count.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Try this

www.rearviewcamera.net
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Wireless ?

Has anyone had experience with a wireless backup camera and their trailer? Don't want to have extra wiring between trailer and truck.

Talked with http://www.nvsystems.com/rvsystems.htm, but he is unable to directly accept credit cards. Had bad luck with PayPal before, and don't want to use them again.

Has anyone used this company? Any other providers?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
Has anyone had experience with a wireless backup camera and their trailer? Don't want to have extra wiring between trailer and truck.

Has anyone used this company? Any other providers?

73/gus
Here is an add-on wireless (2.4Gig) system. Don't know how well it works, and it isn't cheap.

http://www.dyersonline.com/merchant....ar+Obs+Systems

But they take Visa.

They have a full line of cameras, monitors, and other stuff.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Ackerman
Has anyone installed a backup camera in their trailer? If so do you have any pros or cons? Will
Nice idea, but that would put Debbie out of a job. Come to think of it, if you hit something there's no one to blame .
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:24 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Rear View camera

One inexpensive way to have a rear view camera is to purchase a one camera security camera system (Wallmart about $85) with a wireless link. The wireless link solves the problem with connecting to the tow vehicle (but the picture does "roll" from time to time.) I use 12 volt cigarette lighter plug to power the camera instead of the 110volt to 12 volt converter. You can buy these plugs at Radio Shack and wire it yourself using the wire off the converter.

The camera will give a a "false" rear view mirror image and must be reversed ...right to left....(because your rear view mirror is really a reversed image.) This can be done by aiming the camera into a mirror that looks out the back of your unit through the back window. On my unit the camera points down to a horizontal truck mirror that looks out the back and successfully reverses the image.

I mount the video montor on the floor hump of the tow vehicle aimed at the driver. Simple approach but it works!

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
OK - I can't resist! I have my notebook computer mounted on the console in order to use the DeLorme navigation system --- lots of fun, and truly valuable from time to time. Could you somehow mount a computer monitor camera using "Bluetooth" or one of the other fancy computer gadgets - like the built-in wireless capability - that I know absolutely nothing about??? That way, I could simply switch screens when I wanted to take a look out back. Aside from "wireless," could you use the camera hard-wired to the USB port?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
OK - I can't resist! I have my notebook computer mounted on the console in order to use the DeLorme navigation system --- lots of fun, and truly valuable from time to time.
Try this: http://www.grandtec.com/webcam.htm
Old 10-09-2004, 07:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Maximum USB cable length is 5m, with most of the USB 1 devices limited to 3m. That will work in your truck.

You can get a wireless camera (802.11) and establish an ad hoc network. It can easily go the distance, and there are plenty of wireless network cameras that do not require a computer.

Bluetooth is normally a short distance (50 ft. or less), but could be extended with extraordinary means.

802.11 wireless is the way to go if you want to use a network camera.

Be sure that the camera has an outdoor capable iris for sunlight. Also, most of the computer cameras do not use IRad, so night vision may be limited.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Tinsel,

If you mount the camera upside down, doesn't the image come out upside down on the monitor?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:09 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I leave my front window awning/rock guard open and keep the rear window curtains open so I can see directly through the Safari with my rear view mirror.

I've only had to replace the front awning/rockguard a few times now. 57MPH seems to be the sweet spot...any faster and it starts to pull away.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
OK - I can't resist! I have my notebook computer mounted on the console in order to use the DeLorme navigation system --- lots of fun, and truly valuable from time to time. Could you somehow mount a computer monitor camera using "Bluetooth" or one of the other fancy computer gadgets - like the built-in wireless capability - that I know absolutely nothing about??? That way, I could simply switch screens when I wanted to take a look out back. Aside from "wireless," could you use the camera hard-wired to the USB port?
If you have a wireless card for your notebook you could get a wireless network camera which you power off the trailer system using a small inverter. This is what I'll be doing as I also carry the notebook with GPS.
You should be able to use the usb port but the price of a usb cable that long could be more than the wireless and more trouble.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
My HP notebook supposingly has WiFi built in - with an antenna in the lid. Do I still need a card??? I'm far more knowlegable about Model "A" Fords!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote