Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2002, 06:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
San Francisco , California
AV Wiring

Hi Everyone,

I want to run speaker wire from the front end of my 1964 Safari Airstream, from the overhead cabinets, to the back, just beyond the kitchen. I don't want to have to expose any of the wires. Any ideas on where and how to run the wires?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nina
Neenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 07:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Expose as in hidden in cabinets or expose as hidden behind the metal?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
remote speakers

For ease of installation, you might consider "wireless speaker". simple to do and, they work~
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Thanks for the postings...we're trying to hide it wherever we can. I already bought the speakers so I didn't opt for the wireless thing (oh well...). They are flush wall mounts. But I think at this point we're going to try to get behind the metal in the exterior walls when we go up/down and then run along the floor going front/back since I haven't put my floor down yet. But any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm not keen on screwing around with the metal and having to replace a panel.

Thanks so much!

Nina
Old 09-19-2002, 05:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
There is only 1 5/8" between the walls on my motorhome, how deep are your speakers?
Old 09-19-2002, 07:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Interesting you should ask...actually, the speakers are deeper than that but they are going to be mounted in the closet walls between the kitchen and the bathroom. So most of the speaker box will be in the closet. I'm definitely giving up some space installing this system, but its going to be cool. I got this yamaha receiver/dvd/cd player all in one and, besides the 13" tv, that's the biggest piece. It was hard to resist those flat screen tvs but they're so expensive!

Nina
Old 09-20-2002, 06:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you wanted to run front to rear behind the metal you could loosen the center panel at the top. There is a depression in the ribs on each side that has plenty of space to do this.

If you are going to run it vertically behind the metal you are probably going to have a hard time fishing it through. There is fiberglass batt insulation in the cavity and the cavity is very shallow and curved. Even with a fish tape you are going to tear the insulation up. I don't think the damage you will do is worth it.

There are dozens of little clips you could use to clip the wires back in the corner of the closet. They would be out of the way and not that noticable.

John