Old 05-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Automatic Transfer Switch Install

Got around to installing an automatic transfer switch so I can power all my 120V receptacles from an alternate power source.

There's several varieties of them on the market but I used a Progressive Dynamics PD5110610V 50amp

It basically detects power input from one of 2 sources. Automatically choosing an actively powered source to relay into the panel. If two sources are active, it will default to one leg (labeled generator). It also has a 30-45 second timer when it detect power on the generator leg to switch to but I disabled this time (bridging a solder joint per instructions).

I'm using this to switch between a 2000W inverter and shore power.

Though it really could be used for two power sources like generator, inverter, shore power, portable battery power station. Or joined in series to enable switching between more 120V sources. No worries about accidentally joining two hot sources.

I installed it behind the power center of my 27FB, which has just enough room. The 30amp/10gauge wire is pretty stiff to work with.

Works great and transparently!

Here's what it looks like:
Click image for larger version

Name:	AStransfer1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	341669
Click image for larger version

Name:	AStransfer2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	341670

Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift - 6" Fan Controller
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Got around to installing an automatic transfer switch so I can power all my 120V receptacles from an alternate power source.

There's several varieties of them on the market but I used a Progressive Dynamics PD5110610V 50amp

It basically detects power input from one of 2 sources. Automatically choosing an actively powered source to relay into the panel. If two sources are active, it will default to one leg (labeled generator). It also has a 30-45 second timer when it detect power on the generator leg to switch to but I disabled this time (bridging a solder joint per instructions).

I'm using this to switch between a 2000W inverter and shore power.

Though it really could be used for two power sources like generator, inverter, shore power, portable battery power station. Or joined in series to enable switching between more 120V sources. No worries about accidentally joining two hot sources.

I installed it behind the power center of my 27FB, which has just enough room. The 30amp/10gauge wire is pretty stiff to work with.

Works great and transparently!

Here's what it looks like:

Attachment 341669

Attachment 341670

I really can’t see how this has been installed from the photos. Can you explain/show your installation in more detail?

Shinytow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytow View Post
I really can’t see how this has been installed from the photos. Can you explain/show your installation in more detail?
Happy to. I don't have more pics as it's all closed up, but can explain. I'll assume a 30amp trailer install.

A 120V automatic transfer switch has 3 thing going to it:
1) Input source A (default)
2) Input source B
3) Output

It automatically switches to whatever input source is powered. If both A and B are powered, it defaults to A.

Input A is the 30amp trailer power input.
Input B is my GZ

The way to install this is to locate the trailer input wire (big orange 10 gauge romex). The power center will be fed by this big orange wire at its backside.

Idea is to cut said big orange wire. The feed side goes to input A of the transfer switch. The other end of the wire that goes to the power center will install to the output side of the transfer switch.

Note that this 10/3 gauge wire is super stiff and hard to work with. You may also not have enough slack in the line and have to add another segment. I removed the original line from the power center, fed to auto transfer switch. Then added a new ~3' segment of 10 gauge romex for the auto transfer switch output to power center.

Now get an extension cord or suitable wire, to install to input A of the transfer swtich. This will now plug into your new GZ (or any other 120V source like an inverter or genny).

One more detail. The specific transfer switch I used has a 30 second delay timer meant for generators such that it can stabilize its output before it switches. The manual tells you how to disable this by jumping points on a circuit board which I did.
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift - 6" Fan Controller
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote