Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Kettering , Ohio
Any Generators?

I am trying to decide which type of RV I want to buy and recently we had a prolonged electric outage. Neighbors drove in their Motorhome and ran the generator to power their home. Do Airstream, or other other travel trailers, for that matter, contain generators, or can one be added? Is there capability to camp and run electric without plugging in?

Thanks for your input.
Boytoysoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
generator school:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ors-20267.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...gain-3060.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f251...ors-16372.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f156...ators-153.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f196...tors-5879.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
not to many I now of come with them built in, unless your are talking motor homes...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Buy a good one, make sure you get a deal on it. 5000 watts or more. You can change the exhaust later to make it quiet. I am sure they are probably in limited supply if you have been out a while.

I have a big twin cylinder Onan. out of a motor home. I was kicking around selling. It needs to be in a coach or wired to connect to a house. it is 240 volts. can be split to 120 all single phase. I dont know where kettering is though.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Travel trailers and small fifth-wheels typically do not have generators and owners usually power them with portable generators that only supply 120VAC. We have been supplying our refrigerators and other small items with two Honda EU2000i generators we use with our Airstream trailer.

Motorhomes and larger fifth-wheels usually have built-in generators. Not all of the built-in generators have 240VAC power aka 50 amp power in the RV world, needed to power residential stove, water heater, clothes dryer, or heat-pump. The big ones that do usually have dual air-conditioners and provisions for washer/dryer.

If you want to power some of those things in your home, look for at least a 7 KW generator that can supply up to 30 amps continuously. You'll also need to have an electrician install a transfer switch to an external outlet to get power to your home's electrical panel.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
Buy a good one, make sure you get a deal on it. 5000 watts or more. You can change the exhaust later to make it quiet.
...but not if you want to get really quiet. If you listen to a Honda EU2000i or Yamaha EF2400is, you'll see just how quiet they are. Campgrounds have a 69db limit on generator sound output, so if you want to charge all day or night, or run AC for extended periods of time, the noise level is critical.

I've read a bunch of research and posts, and exhaust/enclosure mods won't get you down to the 52-53db levels that these quiet engineered models do. Plus, they're very compact... So I'd say you should decide if the generator is primarily for camping, or for the home, and choose accordingly. Also note that these quiet generators are inverter generators which output clean power that can safely be used to power sensitive electronic devices like laptops, etc.

Can you tell I'm also trying to decide on a genset?

I'm thinking to go with the Yamaha EF2400is (will work with my 13,500btu AC) and use it to supply power to a limited # of appliances in the home when the power goes out (heater blower, refer, TV, limited lights).

There's my $.02
ShinyTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
My generator story

BoyToySoh -

I also lurked for a LONG time on the generator threads before I dropped BIG coin on gennies for my needs. Often considered the CostCo offerings since they were seriously less $'s, but according to all my reading - the 180degree out of phase limited their use, also compromised my usage due to noise & the neighbors.

Finally decided on the 2x Eu2000 Honda's. What a fortuitus purchase they were, as the power here in suburban Wash. DC has gone out about 7 times in the last 3 1/2 months. A few were overnight outages - and this is the HUMIDITY capital as well as the Nations Capital. They were needed!!!!

I ran those suckers ALL NIGHT several times (with re-fueling stops) without ANY neighbor complaints. My neighbor 4 doors down has a chinese generator that I can hear VERY clearly over my 2 hondas WITH THE WINDOWS CLOSED. He had 3 visits from the local constabulary whilst I had none.

Oh, and I had fans, fridge/ freezer, lights, and TV. Even had the micro on-line for a few meals that the stove could have never gotten done. Also, got the phone modem up and ran the laptop for info on the outage.

In addition to all that, they are the bomb for camping. They can be piggybacked for usage that can satisfy the entire trailer. They are fuel efficient and easily the quietest gennies around.

That was the best 2K I have spent recently.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boytoysoh View Post
I am trying to decide which type of RV I want to buy and recently we had a prolonged electric outage. Neighbors drove in their Motorhome and ran the generator to power their home. Do Airstream, or other other travel trailers, for that matter, contain generators, or can one be added? Is there capability to camp and run electric without plugging in?

Thanks for your input.
Greetings,

We own a 19' Bambi travel trailer. Like most travel trailers, it does not have a built in generator. That said, we wanted to be able to power its AC and the other things when boondocking. Had cost not been a concern, we would have probably bought two Honda EU2000iA generators and combined them when running the AC or powering home devices. This choice would have been driven by the lighter weight of the 2000 watt units as compared to the 3000 watt generator. Instead, we found a 3000 watt unit in great condition in the local area at a good price on eBay and bought it.

The 3000 watt unit is great for boondocking and for running our home refrigerator and sump pump during power outages. I'm sure we could power more peripherals but have not yet had a need to try it.

The best parts about the 3000 is that it is powerful, easy to maintain and remarkably quiet. It's drawback is its weight, however. We have made a small cart for it but still need to lift it onto and off of the cart and load it into and out of the TV when boondocking. We understand that some folks run it from within the bed of their TVs (pickups, presumably) when boondocking. We will likely try this.

As said before, the 2000's lighter weight is attractive but if you need more than 2000 and less than 4000 watts to boondock, I suggest it comes down to a weight vs. cost decision. Of course, being able to find good used units locally can sway the decision, as it did to us.

We also own a contractor model 6000 watt generator we bought from Home Depot a few years ago. Last year, during a 3 day power outage and major rain event, it was able to power the refrigerators, sump pumps, TVs and a room light or two in our home and those in the homes of two of our neighbors. That was great but it was EXTREMELY noisy. In fact, on the second night, the city police showed up and shut it off. Obviously, one or more of our other neighbors called them and complained.

It's amazing how loud this type of generator is and how quiet the Honda style is.

I hope this information is helpful.

Cheers,

Jerry
Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
PITA's....

Jerry -

As you have additionally added your experience - we can CLEARLY see that neighbors can be, and often ARE a serious PITA about SO MANY things....

In your case, and likely my neighbors, they were simple jealous and envious of our lights/ fans/ and fridges.....

to which I say.....

HAAAA, HHHAAAAA, HAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I had all of the above - with NO visits from the authorities!

Lovin' the AS life! Even better when it impacts SO POSITIVELY on the bricks and mortar life.....

AAAAAHHHH!!!! Does it get better than this??? Only when I'm camping!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote