Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Ars has done a better job of covering this:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...4-hours-a-day/
Old 02-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Yes....much better...thanks for the linkage
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Norman , Arizona
April Fools!

Anti-solar panels are a bogus concept. As with any thermoelectric process, you must have a source of heat energy to make it work. The temperature differential between ambient and radiating to the night sky would require ACRES of “panels” to produce any meaningful thermoelectric current. Show me the numbers ‘cause I ain’t buying it!
farrel509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
baltimore , Maryland
The sun, which is the source of solar power, is immense and produces 1000 watts of light energy per square meter (the big electric burner on your range is like 600 watts on full). Solar panels are 15-20% efficient, so a 1 sq meter panel will produce 150-200 watts output.

How many watts is radiating off the earth after the sun goes down? In watts/sq meter?
Sounds like this energy is still solar energy, as it ts just the left over energy of the sun’s heat from the daytime. So i think you are starting off trying to harvest a small fraction of the suns daytime energy.

How long does the earth radiate this IR energy after the sun goes down?

How large are these anti-panels?

How efficient are they?
groundhogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Card Size

Deal me in !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Anti solar is real. They are making great strides in the advancement of solar energy. I have heard talk inside the industry that they have developed a panel not much bigger that a deck of cards that is rated at 100watts.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
Currently Looking...
Aberdeen , North Carolina
Lightbulb Ice in Ancient Egypt...

Back in the day....say 400 BC...the Egyptians would make ice at night by setting pans with a thin layer water in them on top of their houses. The pans were insulated underneath to help the process, during the night the water would radiate its heat to space (temperature of about 4K, if I remember my college physics courses correctly). In the morning there'd be a thin film of ice in the pan.

So, using more advanced materials I can see how this would work. And yes, I agree with the previous posts about the Peltier Effect. I'm curious to see how the engineering and such will harness this energy/effect.

I hope it works!

Retired C-130 navigator....gosh I miss flying!!!!!!!
Lara_From_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
baltimore , Maryland
I think we should fit little piezo jackets to flies. As they fly, they would produce AC current with each wing beat.

The AC current could be sent to a small antenna to be transmitted. This energy could then be received and used as power!
groundhogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think it's a fascinating idea, but I hope it won't be undone by all the electromagnetic radiation we are beaming from all the cell towers and WiFi antenna I see sprouting from every pole, water tower, and office building.

I have started development of an absorber panel that will collect all that RF energy and convert it to useful work spinning an alternator to power my house.

There are a few Heisenberg issues to work out with my attorney, then it's off to the VC world.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #29
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Ok? If the panels can generate power by radiating heat into a clear night sky out into space. From where does the heat get into the panels? There is some reality in this, but not as a solar panel on a vehicle. In some Arabian deserts they cool water ponds by radiating the heat into space. Cristal clear dry sky is required. Can't find that in any of the rest of the world. Let me know if any find a peer reviewed article.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote