Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
An Electrical Mystery

Looked at a 1981 International for sale and found A/C inoperative as well as all three Fantastic fans. Lights work so I checked breakers. Unit was plugged in and my no contact tester assured me there is power from each breaker.

Checked battery behind propane tanks and found it almost completely dead. Unplugged the Airstream from shore power and went back inside to check 12 volt power at a ceiling light. It was over 12 V!

Went outside and disconnected the battery so there was no power to the trailer at all and the lights inside were still on.

I am not familiar with this model so my question is, where is the 12 V. power coming from? Is there a second battery? Where? Also where might I find the 12 V. fuse panel? Finally, why would I not have power at the A/C so that even the fan would work?
Texas Hill Country
Santart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Older trailers had converters that needed a battery to smooth and filter the converter output. I'm not sure when that changed. It sounds like someone added another battery somewhere. Look under sofas and beds and any other storage area big enough. With the battery and shore power disconnected the trailer should be dead. You may have fun trying to get to the bottom of this apparently modified trailer.

If the AC thermostat is on the AC unit, it should run with shore power only. The fantastic fans, furnace and lights run from 12V. Some propane water heaters had a pilot light and did not need 12V to operate. Others have electronic ignition and do need 12V. IDK about furnaces. Mine has electronic ignition; they all need 12V for the blower.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Solved (partly)

Battery behind propane for electric hitch only. Locked door behind and to the left (curbside) had the actual house battery but I just finally got the key to open it. Still looking for answers for the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santart View Post
Looked at a 1981 International for sale and found A/C inoperative as well as all three Fantastic fans. Lights work so I checked breakers. Unit was plugged in and my no contact tester assured me there is power from each breaker.

Checked battery behind propane tanks and found it almost completely dead. Unplugged the Airstream from shore power and went back inside to check 12 volt power at a ceiling light. It was over 12 V!

Went outside and disconnected the battery so there was no power to the trailer at all and the lights inside were still on.

I am not familiar with this model so my question is, where is the 12 V. power coming from? Is there a second battery? Where? Also where might I find the 12 V. fuse panel? Finally, why would I not have power at the A/C so that even the fan would work?
Texas Hill Country
Santart is offline   Reply With Quote