RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I am looking at the same issue, and I'm thinking pretty seriously about just putting 2-3 more batteries in the front of the bed of my pickup tow vehicle. From there, I'd run cables (#4 from welding supply) back to the Airstream's own battery. Welding supply also has high-current plug-in connectors to connect it all together or separate it when I want ...

Just a thought.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
4Slice...nice looking installation...lots of labor invested to get things right!

I'm assuming that the space between batteries will allow some ventilation to flow through the floor vent - looks like the batteries will cover most of it...if your charger is 'pouring the coals' to your batteries when they've been discharged, you'll need all the ventilation you can get...

Also, I know you're not yet finished, but be sure to use some kind of containment to keep those heavy 6 volts from moving around when you're on the road...I would use a heavy rubber type mat under the batteries, with holes cut for the floor vent, to protect them from any rough spots, etc in the bottom of the box, vent mounting screw heads, etc...

I've used a 'blob' of canned spray foam around batteries to keep them in place, inside a containment box with great success...spraying a quick 'blob' on the sides and between ends that expands when cured to hold the batteries in place - and you can easily cut the foam with a long knife when it's time to replace them...

just a couple of more ideas to toss into the ring...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Here's my el cheapo solution for mounting two 6v golf cart batteries in my Airstream. I used a 6 dollar tote from HD. Glued and silconed a hose mounting to ventilate the batteries to the outside. Two small holes were drilled in the sides for the battery cables and charger. All holes were siliconed to provide an airtight seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8080415.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	85737  

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #24
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
There's a ton of good ideas for battery systems in this thread! I definitely need to secure my batteries in the large box. They moved around a few inches after hitting frost heaves and construction zones in the Rockies. There is plenty of room to mechanically secure them. I am a little concerned about the bottom ventilation holes when I get the second pair of batteries next spring--there is no room to raise them, as there is only a hair's breadth between the top of the terminals and the inside of the lid.
4slice is offline   Reply With Quote