RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Durango , Colorado
AC power working but no DC power

I have a 2007 Safari SE. Problem is no DC power. When connected to shore power, everything works; when connected to shore power, the converter DOES NOT recharge the batteries (the battery disconnect switch is in the Use mode) This is what I have done so far:

1. Replaced the converter. Reviewed the Parallax converter trouble shooting algorithm and new converter works. In fact, that might not have been the problem to begin with but I didn't have the algorithm initially.
2. Replaced 5 amp fuses on battery disconnect solenoid (located under the bed!)
3. Installed 2 new AGM batteries (currently charged to 12.4v)
4. Checked and cleaned the ground attached to the frame.
5. Checked the solenoid to the battery disconnect switch. When using a volt meter on terminals (one at a time with a ground) volt meter reads 0 volts on each side.

I forgot to add -- when connected to the TV, the batteries charge.

At this point, I'm at a loss. Someone mentioned there may be a circuit breaker between the batteries and the solenoid, but if there is, I can't find it.

Any ideas??
jamulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Perhaps a bad switch. Check for voltage at both sides of the battery disconnect switch itself when it's in use. Or perhaps there is a second switch in the circuit?

Luck-
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
From your description, I would concur with the suggestion from the person named someone. There are breakers on the battery bus bar which is between the Use relay and the battery. Sounds like one of those are tripped or bad.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Sure sounds like the Battery disconnect solenoid is bad. Do you hear the typical loud “click/clunk” when you activate / deactivate via the switch with the red light?
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
If there is no voltage on either side of the switch in USE mode with shore power connected the problem is between the switch and the trailer power distribution panel, or on the power distribution panel. With shore power on there should be 12 volts on the trailer side of the switch regardless of the quality of the switch or batteries.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Durango , Colorado
Thanks for the quick responses.

Wulfraat - I do hear the usual "click" when I put the disconnect switch in Use or Store. When plugged into shore power, the switch light is bright, when on DC power, I cannot see it.

Bayoubiker -where can I locate in the trailer the battery bus bar? What does it look like?

Al and Missy -- I can't remember if I tested the solenoid in plugged into shore power. I will try that later today and post the results.
jamulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Follow the Battery and trailer cables into the trailer. The Inverter cables may go a different direction, ignore those. The bus bar will generally be very close to the entry point. If they are not there, they will be somewhere between that point and the location of the power center. Sorry I am not familiar with your trailer's layout.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR

I'm guessing as others have stated focus on the solenoid. Check streetside wire connections on the solenoid. I had a loose wire connection there on my 07 with the same symptoms. If you hear the audible click, that was the issue.

Good luck!
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Reset all AC Circuit Panel switches and also check your 12V fuse panel for anything awry.
smmckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamulian View Post
Thanks for the quick responses.

Wulfraat - I do hear the usual "click" when I put the disconnect switch in Use or Store. When plugged into shore power, the switch light is bright, when on DC power, I cannot see it.

Bayoubiker -where can I locate in the trailer the battery bus bar? What does it look like?

Al and Missy -- I can't remember if I tested the solenoid in plugged into shore power. I will try that later today and post the results.

You should see something on the battery side as well. Measure the voltage at a battery. Then measure the voltage on the battery side of the solenoid to the trailer ground buss. They should be the same. If not, measure from the solenoid to the battery negative post. If you read voltage to the battery post and not the ground buss, the batteries have become disconnected from the ground buss. If you don't read voltage to the battery ground post, the positive cable is not connected to the solenoid. Could be a cabling issue or a fuse/circuit breaker issue.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When this happened to me in my 2007 Safari, it was due to a loose connection on the 12v bus. Feeling around, I felt a hot nut which then I tightened and solved my problem.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:27 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
When plugged into shore power, an inverter (read battery charger) runs off the 115V shore power and SHOULD provide a 12V output to charge the battery.
Since your 12V lights work, and the TV charges the 12V batteries, the problem is obviously with the battery charger. Check that it has 115V AC supply and check the output. Could be tripped AC breaker, or improper wiring or dead battery charger
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoasteng View Post
When plugged into shore power, an inverter (read battery charger) runs off the 115V shore power and SHOULD provide a 12V output to charge the battery.
Since your 12V lights work, and the TV charges the 12V batteries, the problem is obviously with the battery charger. Check that it has 115V AC supply and check the output. Could be tripped AC breaker, or improper wiring or dead battery charger
You mean "converter". The inverter converts 12 VDC to 115 AC.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote