Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
AC Power Light on Control Panel?

The AC power light on the control panel of our '85 Sovereign quit working during our last outing. This is the light that tells you you are plugged in to "shore power". I'll also note that we did notice a burning smell that I'll characterize as "electrical in nature" outside the trailer shortly before (minutes to hours) we noticed the light was out. There was no such smell inside the trailer. Because we were at a rally with many nearby units, we were never sure where the smell came from, so it may be an unrelated coincidence. Anyway, all 120VAC outlets and the Univolt seem to be working fine, as do all other functions of the control panel. I am just wondering where to start.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so, what was the problem? A burned out bulb ot LED? A circuit board problem? A wiring problem?

I am capable of trouble shooting this myself, but thought I'd see if I can narrow down the likely causes before tearing things apart. Does anyone know how to remove the control panel (above the storage bins over the front window) from a 1985 Airstream?

Thanks in advance,
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
AC Indicator Light

Joe:

Do you have the Factory Service Manual for your unit?

If so, the wiring diagram should indicate where the problem may be.

As a point of reference, the '78 Sovereign of the Road has a "gray" wire from the Univolt to the "Control Panel". I "think" the output to the indicator light is somewhere around 3 volts. My "light" is also not functioning.

There has been a previous thread discussing the indicator light problems.

You may want to do a search for "Panel, Indicator, Light" or something similar.

Luck.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Not having a schematic I was under the impression that wire led to a center tap or seperate winding altogether on the univolt just to indicate power was available. I should take my old one apart to see where it really goes. There is really too little info on this anywhere in the world. A schematic would be so nice...

Because of the way the univolt is venter I can understand why you smelled the burning outside but not inside the trailer.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Joe, you will find the discussion of how the power on light works at http://www.airforums.com/forum...andy+indicator

To remove the control panel, simply prise it awayfrom the surrounding plastic. I use the slim handle of a stainless steel knife. It is a rather brutal procedure, but I have done it perhaps 20 times without damage to the controls. A screwdriver blade would do it, but a broader blade helps prevent damage to the bodywork.The panel is held in with a few spring clips. To replace the panel, hold it in position and bang the perimeter with the heel of your hand. Good luck. Nick.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Do you have the Factory Service Manual for your unit?
No, to my knowledge there is no 1985 Airstream Service Manual available. There is a 1984 Service Manual available from Airstream.com for $60, but I haven't decided if it is worth getting or not. I suspect it would be pretty close for most systems for an '85 trailer, except that I believe there was no 25' rear bed model offered in 1984 (it was a new model for 1985).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Joe, you will find the discussion of how the power on light works at http://www.airforums.com/forum...andy+indicator

To remove the control panel, simply prise it awayfrom the surrounding plastic. I use the slim handle of a stainless steel knife. It is a rather brutal procedure, but I have done it perhaps 20 times without damage to the controls. A screwdriver blade would do it, but a broader blade helps prevent damage to the bodywork.The panel is held in with a few spring clips. To replace the panel, hold it in position and bang the perimeter with the heel of your hand. Good luck. Nick.
Nick,
Thanks for the link and instructions on how to remove the panel. Maybe I'll be lucky and it'll be nothing more than a burned out bulb. In any case, this info gives me a place to start.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
No, to my knowledge there is no 1985 Airstream Service Manual available. There is a 1984 Service Manual available from Airstream.com for $60, but I haven't decided if it is worth getting or not. I suspect it would be pretty close for most systems for an '85 trailer, except that I believe there was no 25' rear bed model offered in 1984 (it was a new model for 1985).
66Overlander,
Shoot an email to Airstream Store Customer service, store@airstream.com they are apparently reprinting them as they are asked for.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
When you remove the panel its a good idea to clean all the other contacts for preventive maintenance. I did that when one of my bulbs went out and it has held up well for years since then.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Well worth it..~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Joe,
I have the service manual for the 1984 model Sovereign and, trust me it's WELL WORTH THE 60$
ciao
Vern
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Thanks all!

You all have given me a good place to start - I hope it's just a burned out bulb. When I get the trailer home from storage to dig into this issue (maybe yet this fall, maybe next spring) I'll also make sure I clean the contacts. I'll definitely pursue getting the Service Manual, too.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768