Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
a thin spacer between the batteries and the bottom of the battery box?

Hi, Pulled by old batteries yesterday. Have new ones ready to go in, but will clean, de-rust, and paint the inside of the battery box first.

The batteries (2 ea group 24's) sit in a very shallow plastic tray, which sits on the bottom of the battery box. Between the plastic and the metal box, water remains trapped, causing corrosion.

Is there something (needs to be very thin) to raise the plastic tray just a tad and allow some ventilation? Thinking some stainless steel or galvanized vent screen? Or some plastic product??

Thanks,

Don
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I never understood why Airstream and SOB's use the battery boxes they do. The best solution is to place 1" rubber washers at each corner with HVB tape so that the battery can breath between the bottom and metal and do away with plastic tray.
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Remove the plastic tray. Drill drain holes in the bottom of the box if it doesn't have drain holes already. Replace the tray, with rubber washers propping up each corner of the tray as vinstream suggests. Not only will you create an air space, but someplace for any liquids to get out.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Rather than rubber, how about cutting some sections out of one of the acid neutralizing mats?
Amazon.com: Acid Neutralizing Mat: Automotive
Lynn
Old 11-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Drilling holes is not always the solution because you are yes letting water out but also letting it in. The battery compartment has a seal on it to not allow water to get in, but moister also comes from the warmth of the battery and outside lower outside temps creating condensation. That is why rubber washers is a good choice to also act as a thermal barrier to prevent condensation. The neutralizing mats work good in engine compartments however the ones that I have sean hold water causing even more rust. I have also sean these battery compartments sprayed with bed liner with all four corners raised.
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
Follow up- Looked at the battery box last night- it already has 6 large (3/4") holes. We live in a pretty dry and unfortunately) rain free area, so the moisture that caused the rust is probably accumulated condensation.

I'll raise the batteries with the rubber washers. I assume the 1" folks suggest is the diameter? Not the height?

Thanks,

Don
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote