Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

a magical tail light

Things are really starting to get interesting. Due to a broken foot, out 4 to 6 weeks, I've now got the time to get at my AS. I've got about ten days to get this puppy rolling back to Canada. I've replaced the brake assemblys, tires, repacked the bearings and am hopefully going to change out my shocks, two are leaking. Inland never did get back to me today on those, said their supply was low. The issue now: I tried to go the easy route and bought a simple adapter that would match my wiring (7 blade) harness to that of the AS (round style pins with 6 pins rather than 7). The PO must have changed it to fit his vehicle. All the lights appear to work except for the left signal. The puzzeling part is when I changed the bulb out for a new one it light up brightly but did not blink when asked. Then when I disconected the TV the light stayed on. Head scratcher. I didn't want it to drain the battery so I pulled it out. The bulb I replaced had a hole in it and sort a looked as though it had melted. The nice gentleman who is helping me with this project decided to sleep on it and get after it tomorrow. I've been reading through all the posts I can related to trailer wiring. Lots of good stuff. I purchased a multi meter gadget today and will take some readings tomorrow. I look forward to the day when I'm not so new at this and am able throw in a helping word here and there like so many on this forum. Any ideas?
Charming Wino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming Wino
...The puzzeling part is when I changed the bulb out for a new one it light up brightly but did not blink when asked. Then when I disconected the TV the light stayed on...
I suspect the problem is where the trailer wiring meets the plug that goes to the tow vehicle. I cannot remember the wiring color code, and I do not have a schematic in front of me but I believe the battery wire color is blue.

First, verify this problem exists without the round pin to flat pin adapter installed. If removing the adapter fixes the problem, please respond - there are options.

If it does not fix the problem, and your round pin plug has screw down connectors for the wiring, examine them very closely. I suspect the battery wire is touching the turn signal wire because the wiring connectors are pretty cozy in the round pin plugs. Also be alert for a single strand of wire being loose from a connector.

If all is in order, then start looking for frayed insulation. On most larger travel trailers, the trailer wiring is done at a certain point during construction, and then a six foot umbilical, with T.V. plug on one end, is connected to the wiring. On my Overlander, this interface is behind a screwed on access cover on the forward, starboard side of the belly skin. I have heard other people mention their wiring junction is accessed from the inside. Make sure all looks good here too.

If none of the above, please respond - I'm sure the forum can get you on the road.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

some progress

Thanks for the advice Tom, I took out the adapter and rewired a new 7 pin harness. I used the wiring diagram from airstream to match up the wiring with my TV. I thought I had it right but unfortunatly there are still problems. The lights come on as soon as the TV is attached. The left signal sends all the lights blinking. At least that one bulb isn't on all the time. So there are some crossed signals that need to be found. I'm also going to really give the terminals a good cleaning. I took a look at the wiring inside(behind the couch) and found it to be in pretty good shape. The PO was in there at some time doing something, two screws were missing off the covering. I wonder what he or she was doing in there. Mabey they were having the same problems. Thanks for the help, I'll post an update tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Charming,

It would help if we knew the year and model of your trailer. This can be added to your profile. Others with the same model may have had the same experience and can help.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

my bad

I've got a 27ft 74 overlander international with the double. I didn't get the cleaning done tonight. Got into a little vino..... kicking back and enjoying a beautiful day in boise. Figured things would go better with a hang over tomorrow. All work and no play...well you know what they say. Cheers to the never ending weekend.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:19 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

all is well

I had wired the 7 way connecter backwards. It usually takes me two or three trys to get things right. I also had a disconnected tail light wire on the TV side. Its all about learning. On to brake adjustments! Thanks again for the responses.