Old 05-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
A Better Fantastic Fan/Vent Speed Control

The fantastic fan that came installed in our trailer (a 2013) has three speeds. Fast, faster, and super never used fast. While it does a great job of moving air it's also noisy. I've often wondered if there's a way cut the lowest speed in half. I finally found how and I'm sharing here.

The secret is to replace the OEM resistor speed switch with a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) switch. These can be found on many websites, I got mine on ebay for about $13. Credit for this modification is found here.

The process is pretty simple, though "some" re-wiring is required. Disconnect the wires from the OEM resistor switch. Attach the +/- from the power source and +/- from the motor. Maybe I'll post a circuit diagram later if wanted. Feed the replacement variable twisting knob through the hole and bolt on. I ended up glueing the old large knob onto the shaft of the new speed control so little difference is seen once re-installed.

Operation is awesome. The fan starts out barely rotating then slowly speeds up to max rpm. It is infinitely controllable. The other noteworthy advantage is energy efficiency. I noted the existing fan drew about 1 amp in operation at speed 1 (lowest). At the same speed, with the PWM controller, it drew about 0.7 amp. The resistance loss is the difference.

Here's a photo of the OEM resistor switch. It controls the fan speed by lowering the voltage to the motor. The difference is given off in heat by the wire coils. This sort of switch is energy wasteful.

Here's photo of the PWM controller occupying the same space as the old OEM switch.

A zoom in. Not much extra room, but it fits!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180429_140205701.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	310550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180503_104122121.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	310551  

Name:	IMG_20180503_104126808.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	310552  

kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
How cool is that!

Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
That looks fantastic, I have the same complaints on my 2011, I hadn't even thought of the efficiency difference PWM might offer. Thanks for sharing such a great find!
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I've often wondered if there's a way cut the lowest speed in half. I finally found how and I'm sharing here.
THANKS for sharing...excellent upgrade and on my list. Has me wondering if a sliding switch option of some sort is available and possible for the range vent? That one could really use it as well.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
KSCHERZI,

This is awesome, thanks for sharing this mod. I had a couple of questions regarding the wiring.

1. It looks like you tied the yellow line into the power feed off the fuse. Correct?

2. It looks like you ran a new white wire from the output of the PWM around the fan shroud over to where the connect is to the fan white wire. Correct?

I attempted to draw this up in a diagram below. The blue lines represent the white lines in real life. Please let me know if this is correct. Thanks again for your help and the idea!

Name:	Fan Diagram.001.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	311538
Old 05-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
I like it.
Then I remembered on one of my fans I had replaced the on off switch with a switch which allows you to reverse the fan.
For others that have this same switch installed you would not be able to wire the PWM controller as shown, because if you reverse the polarity going into the controller I am not sure these units are reverse polarity protected, and I am quite sure the controller would fail.

In my case I would need to put my original On Off switch back in and install my reversing switch between the controller output and the fan. Does that seem right to you all?
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
A Better Fantastic Fan/Vent Speed Control

The PWM module I purchased has a reverse switch on it as well. I am hopeful it will work as its built into the PWM board.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Troutboy

I think you got it right regarding wiring. I did end up re-wiring, and rerouting, much of it just to avoid having too many crimp connections. I left the wiring to the lid motor and lid up/down switch alone as they have no bearing on anything to do with motor speed or on/off operation.

Attached is a wiring diagram for my fan. A before and after.

A word of caution about PWM controllers. Some are noisy, and some are not. By noisy they emit a really annoying high pitched squeak/buzz, the tone changes with speed of fan. The first one I bought and installed had this problem, so I had to get another one. Has something to do with their operation frequency from what I can tell. The higher the frequency, the quieter they are. The one I ended up with claims a 21kHz frequency. Additionally, the fan fuse is rated for 4 amps, most PWM's have a higher rating than that, usually 6 amps or higher, so this means most PWM's are capable for this purpose.

Here's a link to one that is quiet (I installed this one).

- Kurt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	311594  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Thanks Kurt.

Did you fix the PWM board in place or is it just sitting there? If you did attach it, how did you do that?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I used double sided sticky tape. Not perfect but good enough to hold it in place during re-installation. Also glued the old larger diameter twist knob onto the new speed control shaft so that the external look of the fantastic fan is perfectly identical to factory look.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bridger-Teton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dog View Post
I like it.
Then I remembered on one of my fans I had replaced the on off switch with a switch which allows you to reverse the fan.
For others that have this same switch installed you would not be able to wire the PWM controller as shown, because if you reverse the polarity going into the controller I am not sure these units are reverse polarity protected, and I am quite sure the controller would fail.

In my case I would need to put my original On Off switch back in and install my reversing switch between the controller output and the fan. Does that seem right to you all?
I would love a switch that would allow the fan to reverse. The fantastic fans I installed in my Bambi reversed. The 2010 Flying Cloud I recently purchased has fantastic fans that only blow out. Is there an easy mod. to make my fans reverse?
veg hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Thanks Kurt,

I did the install test tonight and at low RPM, the PWM board I have made the engine scream an incredible loud high pitch noise, just like you said. I'm sending these back and ordering the ones you have. Glad you mentioned that.

veg head. Yes there is a simple switch replacement of the stock on/off switch. Another member on our 23D thread named RFP recently posted a link to where he bought this switch for $13. link below, and he said it was a perfect drop-in.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bridger-Teton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Thanks Kurt,

I did the install test tonight and at low RPM, the PWM board I have made the engine scream an incredible loud high pitch noise, just like you said. I'm sending these back and ordering the ones you have. Glad you mentioned that.

veg head. Yes there is a simple switch replacement of the stock on/off switch. Another member on our 23D thread named RFP recently posted a link to where he bought this switch for $13. link below, and he said it was a perfect drop-in.

That would be awesome. Thanks for posting that. I'll look for the thread. Thanks.

veg hed is offline   Reply With Quote