Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2004, 03:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Blairstown , New Jersey
9 to 7 Pin Connector

My '87 25 foot Sovereign has a 9 pin trailer wire connector. Problem: My 2004 Chevy Silverado has the common 7 pin system that I use for the other trailers and equipment we use around the farm, etc. Does anyone know of a 9 to 7 pin connector or adapter available - or will I have to make one up myself? This 9 pin system was only used for a few years (now we know why...) Any help as to how I might go about it would be greatly appreciated. (new forum member)

thanx
Lufletch
Lufletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Last year I looked all over the Phoenix area for a 9 to 7 pin adapter -- no one had one nor had even heard of one. I tried all the RV and Hitch places. They all said I would have to rewire the trailer.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Somebody went through this before. This was a Airstream only plug. The extra pins were for something like a tire monitor or a Reefer monitor or something.

Ok found a posts.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...&highlight=pin

Its set up as a safety device to turn off the Pilot on the Reefer. If you just by pass that feature change the plug to a 7 pin you will be just like the rest of us. If you want to keep it then check with Airstream or Andy at www.inlandRV.com and see if they have what you need.
That link to the post has a link to a PDF file of how that plug is wired.

Welcome to the Forums
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:50 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Blairstown , New Jersey
Red face 9 to 7 pin connector

Thanks a lot. I suspected that it was a proprietary rig. I've never seen one like it before. I've got the wiring diagram and will rewire the connection when I assemble the rest of the hardware. I've got a water tank to repair now too... This is just too much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Somebody went through this before. This was a Airstream only plug. The extra pins were for something like a tire monitor or a Reefer monitor or something.

Ok found a posts.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...&highlight=pin

Its set up as a safety device to turn off the Pilot on the Reefer. If you just by pass that feature change the plug to a 7 pin you will be just like the rest of us. If you want to keep it then check with Airstream or Andy at www.inlandRV.com and see if they have what you need.
That link to the post has a link to a PDF file of how that plug is wired.

Welcome to the Forums
Old 09-28-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Blairstown , New Jersey
Thanx for the posted replies from everyone. It's nice to have this kind of support when starting a new project. I've got a pretty good idea what I'll need to get to do the job. This Sovereign is still completely original and in excellent condition.
Should I retain the 9-pin and bypass the reefer pilot light system through a homemade addon box or should I just change the whole connector mount and trash the 9 pin?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufletch
Thanx for the posted replies from everyone. It's nice to have this kind of support when starting a new project. I've got a pretty good idea what I'll need to get to do the job. This Sovereign is still completely original and in excellent condition.
Should I retain the 9-pin and bypass the reefer pilot light system through a homemade addon box or should I just change the whole connector mount and trash the 9 pin?
My feeling it to use the most common plug or the "Standard". My reasoning is if your tow rig goes down then anybody else with the "Standard" set up will be able to move your coach. If you decided to retain it I would make an adaptor so that if the need arised you could hook to the 7 pin. Make it Plug and play so to speak.
An example is I have offered to help a forum member move a coach that he does not have a tow vehcile set up to handle. I actaully have a loos connector that is correct for his coach. I'm going to make an adaptor if he needs me to move it.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:45 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Blairstown , New Jersey
9 to 7 pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
My feeling it to use the most common plug or the "Standard". My reasoning is if your tow rig goes down then anybody else with the "Standard" set up will be able to move your coach. If you decided to retain it I would make an adaptor so that if the need arised you could hook to the 7 pin. Make it Plug and play so to speak.
An example is I have offered to help a forum member move a coach that he does not have a tow vehcile set up to handle. I actaully have a loos connector that is correct for his coach. I'm going to make an adaptor if he needs me to move it.
Thanks again, Toaster, your advice only makes sense. I was thinkig that there might be some kind of collector value in retaining the 9 pin rig but as you point out in so many words... a bad idea is still a bad idea - even after 15 years...
All the best,
Lufletch
Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Looking for a Bargman #69 9-Pin Socket/Receptacle

Hi All,
I am dealing with a family member's 1986 Airstream that still retains it's factory original Bargman #69 9-pin trailer connector, that was apparently used only from 1985 to 1988. (Note this is not the same as the current Pollak 9-pin trailer connector/receptacle.) For various reasons, converting that Airstream to the current 7-way connector is not an option, but I'd like to make a 9-to-7 converter for myself so that I can borrow the trailer.

To the best of my knowledge, the Bargman #69 9-pin truck end socket/receptacle originally came with leads maybe 1 to 2 feet long.

Thus I am looking for one of these that I can use to make an adapter. Used would be OK. Does anyone have an old Bargman #69 Socket/Receptacle that they wouldn't mind selling?

Thanks in advance.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote