Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
72' 31 sovereign wiring diagram help!

Please to all!!!
I am a new owner of a run down AS, what I thought was a pretty good deal is starting to look ugly! (Didn't read about the rear bath model before I picked it up!) Finding out most if not all the appliances are bad, just got the A/C wiring sorted. Now attacking the D/C side found Univolt bad, Now I need a wiring schmatic or at least the points of junctions for the D/C wiring. I understand the large white wire is ground and the pink,purple,brown,yellow wires are circut wires but to what?
Any help????

Also I have a pump of some sort located on the tongue that has a hose and wires running into the curved undervalance what is this? Pump made by National Sanitation Foundation? My trailer has the under galley tank and I can see the pump under the sink and have followed the lines to tank so it is not that.

Thanks all

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelin View Post
Please to all!!!
I am a new owner of a run down AS, what I thought was a pretty good deal is starting to look ugly! (Didn't read about the rear bath model before I picked it up!) Finding out most if not all the appliances are bad, just got the A/C wiring sorted. Now attacking the D/C side found Univolt bad, Now I need a wiring schmatic or at least the points of junctions for the D/C wiring. I understand the large white wire is ground and the pink,purple,brown,yellow wires are circut wires but to what?
Any help????

Also I have a pump of some sort located on the tongue that has a hose and wires running into the curved undervalance what is this? Pump made by National Sanitation Foundation? My trailer has the under galley tank and I can see the pump under the sink and have followed the lines to tank so it is not that.

Thanks all

Curt
Curt.

You will have many many questions, about your Airstream.

I would suggest that you purchase a "Service Manual", that basically covers everything and anything about your coach.

The manual covers all the systems and appliances, brakes, axles, LPG systems, water systems, etc. That manual will also help you to decide if the "whatever" is original or something a previous owner did.

The pump on the front, should be removed and discarded. What that pump did, was to drain the black water tank, by pumping the liquid and solids into the exhaust system of the tow vehicle, which would burn the materials, as long as the tow vehicle was going over, as I recall, 25 miles per hour, or faster.

That system was designed by Thetford, and was called "Thermosan".

The system was quickly discarded, since it had many failures, up to and including pumping the materials into the exhaust system, even when you were at a stop light.

Needless to say, that made a big mess and a half.

You should also cap off the fitting on the holding tank, where the hose feeding the pump is attached.

Welcome to Airstreaming.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Curt,

Here's a couple diagrams to get you started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring_Diagram_smaller.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	93172   Click image for larger version

Name:	12voltdp.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	93173  

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Curt,

Here's a couple diagrams to get you started.
The Thermosan was installed on the A-frame by Airstream.

The pump then, was as close to the exhaust system of the tow vehicle as possible, so the "stuff" did not have to travel any further than necessary, while under pressure.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Thank you Andy and Frederic!!
I can at least start moving forward again! I will end up getting a manual, but in the mean time I need to keep moving forward fearing the DW will banish me to the "good deal" before it is habitable!!! So can I assume there is a junction panel behind the fridge?

Thanks again, I would not have a hope without this forum and the experts at hand!!!!

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The fuse panel is in the streetside closet (between the bathroom and the sleeping lounge) on the bottom right corner. Get down on your knees with a flashlight.

Congrats on your new acquisition! Be patient, get that Service Manual, you WILL make it!