Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Caliente , NV
7 pin wiring

So my wife and I recently bought a total project airstream, and are about to put the inside paneling on. I figured I would double check my 7 way wiring before doing so, as it is the only wiring I didnt redo. My right blinker has an issue, and I think it has something to do with the running light/blinker connector. This is a strange piece to me, and so I am not really sure how to test it. I did splice the wire just before this connector and tested that the blinker wire works properly, but when it gets to the actual light, the blinker light does not work with the blinker, but rather comes on with the running lights. Because of that, I suspect it has something to do with the funny junction of the two. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16245773324615961567830276543020.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	398127  
Bingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
harrisburg , Missouri
I have found that its almost always a bad ground. That being said, I don't think I would leave the old wiring. If it were me I would run new wiring, but I bet the light is not grounded good.
Aaron
a duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Caliente , NV
Thanks, I would think that a bad ground would affect the whole system or at least that lights as a whole, no? Though grounding issues do cause really bizarre issues, so maybe
Old 06-24-2021, 08:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Two comments:

1) The 7 pin wiring in the 70's does not match the modern standard, so unless you or some previous owner reconfigured the wiring at the plug, this may be part of your problem (or the whole problem).

2) The comment about poor grounds may be accurate even if the real issue is #1 above. Each light has a wire running to it, and the light uses the shell as a return. Maybe the "universal" ground wire is fine, but you have a poor connection from the light to the shell on that particular light. That being said, if the light works when you turn the running light on the TV, then the ground is demonstrably fine. See #1 above...

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Caliente , NV
Thanks, i spent most of the day reading up on airstream 7 way wiring, and after a few hours found out that it was different back in the 70's, so configured my plug to be accurate, and think I got it right (tested the plug on a single light for each connection, and then wired it to the plug).
Also, as mentioned, I spliced the brown line (which should be right turn, and attached a single light before that junction of the running light/turn signal in the picture. At the splice, grounded to the shell, it worked fine.

I am thinking I might need to just remove the light casing (seems to be best accessed from the inside) the plastic casing, which holds the turn signal, backup light and a reflector, is held on by what looks like bondo. Any tips for removing that and accessing the lights?
Old 06-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Caliente , NV
So, the funny connector is just a strange way of joining the two green wires with the brown wire to the light, and the brown wire with the red wire to the light. I removed the plastic shell with an oscillating tool and a scraper attachment, and after all that, and learning about about how these wires are run (this is my first go with vehicle electrical, and I think it is more complex than home electrical) I found that the problem was simply corrosion on the hot contact point in the can. The other contact point, for running lights, was clean enough to work. After cleaning off the contact points, everything was good. A lot of work that didnt need to be done, but I figured a lot out from it.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Caliente , NV
Charging from the 7 way

With that taken care of, on to the next part of the 7 way. I removed the blue power wire from the 7 way, but am debating adding it back and running it to my fuse block to charge my lifepo battery while traveling. I have read that it might not really be efficient for charging, and some trucks will not even charge off of the 7 way. Any input here? Is it worth running the 25+ feet of line for charging purposes?
Old 06-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
harrisburg , Missouri
I ran an additional wire from front to back just for the heck of it. Never know what you might want power for. I have not heard that the vehicle did much in the way of charging the batteries. You may need other equipment for charging the lifepo batteries anyway, I don't know if the vehicle alternator will charge those. Your going to need that blue power wire for your electric brakes though if you have electric brakes.
Aaron
a duncan is offline   Reply With Quote