Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

'69 Land Yacht in the dark! Please HELP!

Hello!

I hope that someone out there can atleast help me begin to troubleshoot my problem.

The lights (I am assuming 12 volt? - I should note I am not good with electical things) are no longer working. The lights suddenly stopped working but the fridge and all regular outlets seem to be working fine. (I am plugged into city electric (110 volt?) at a campground)

In looking in the control box in the front of the airstream. Is this where the Univolt is? Anyway, I saw a fuse in there that I thought perhaps I had blown. I removed it, and today, found that no one in Creston, British Columbia has a 40 amp fuse. To be honest, I don't even know if this is my problem.

To continue, I bought a 30 amp instead (recommended by an RV dealer) and put it in to replace the 40 amp fuse. Nothing happened. I reset the 3 breaker switches (none of them appeared to have blown anyway) and again, nothing happened.

I bought my 69 LY last year and have used it often and although I have had MANY problems and adventures that I have fixed - electrical is definately where I am useless. My air conditioner (the cooling unit - not the fan) also seems to be about read to explode given the noises it is making.

If anyone can begin to help me trouble shoot this, please do so! I might be able to borrow someone's digital camera here in the campground and upload a photo of the control box if it would help.

Thanks!

Jen
jardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Two probabilities: 1) Your fuses in the DC fuse panel are blown. Call Inland RV if you can't find suitable ones in your are, use the ones that Airstream says to use.

2)You AC to DC converter, most likely a "Univolt" is dead.

Check the fuses with real appropriate fuses first, then if still don't have 12 vDC you probably have a dead converter. A new one runs about ~150, or you can search on the board for how people got theirs repaired.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

In the dark

This happened to us when we were camping. It was the only 40 amp fuse in the fuse block in the back. As ours is also a 69, look and see if this might be your problem.

Don Pace
69 Overlander
WBCCI 7287
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
check the "other" fuse that is on the negative side. usually it is on a fiber fuse holder away from all the other ones.

yes, airstreams have both the plus and minus fused!

john
Old 07-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks all for you help. I have learned much much more about my airstream's electrical system in the last 2 days!

I found the fuse block and the Univolt. There is a blown fuse in the fuse block and it is a 50 amp. I am hoping that all I need to do is find a replacement for this. I will try Inland RV, but if not, I may get my better half to update the fuse block with the 'newer' style of fuses.

It turned out that the 40 amp fuse in the Central Control panel was not actually blown. - Shows how little I know! - BUT I AM LEARNING

Thanks again, I will post my results and hopefully pass on the knowledge to others in need!

Jen
jardiel is offline   Reply With Quote