Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
67 Caravelle Exterior lighting and hitch plug

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 67 Caravelle and in order to get her home I'm having new tires put on today and having the bearings, brakes, etc. checked over, but I'm having problems with the hitch plug and lights.

I got a diagram of the 67 hitch wire colors and bought a new hitch plug and hooked it up--nada. Before I hooked the wires up to the new seven pin plug I attached the ground (white) to the negative on a battery and then attached each of the other colored wires to the positive terminal of the battery to see if my diagram was correct. The only lights that worked were a few of the running/clearance lights on the exterior. I couldn't get others to work.

I don't have an owners manual so I'm not sure how the electric all works, but there are a lot of (factory) spliced wires around the little box with the switches (battery power/city power) and I see two fuses there that look ok.

I put new bulbs in the real stop/turn lights but the sockets seem pretty loose. Any ideas for tightening them?

How do I trouble shoot this? Or do I just shoot it? Or, myself?

thanks,

Steve
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzellen View Post
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 67 Caravelle and in order to get her home I'm having new tires put on today and having the bearings, brakes, etc. checked over, but I'm having problems with the hitch plug and lights.

I got a diagram of the 67 hitch wire colors and bought a new hitch plug and hooked it up--nada. Before I hooked the wires up to the new seven pin plug I attached the ground (white) to the negative on a battery and then attached each of the other colored wires to the positive terminal of the battery to see if my diagram was correct. The only lights that worked were a few of the running/clearance lights on the exterior. I couldn't get others to work.

I don't have an owners manual so I'm not sure how the electric all works, but there are a lot of (factory) spliced wires around the little box with the switches (battery power/city power) and I see two fuses there that look ok.

I put new bulbs in the real stop/turn lights but the sockets seem pretty loose. Any ideas for tightening them?

How do I trouble shoot this? Or do I just shoot it? Or, myself?

thanks,

Steve
Hi Steve, Lets see if this helps. The first pic is out of the original manual and the second pic is a diagram of the current standard. You need to bring the 67 up to the current standard. Hopefully the wiring has not been messed with too much over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream manual 51.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	94883   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring_7pole.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	94884  

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Check all the grounds at each light. This is often a cause.
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Thanks much. Is there any way to get the entire 67 Airstream manual for a caravelle on a pdf file? IF so, I'd surely appreciate it. please send to vonzellen@gmail.com

Thanks
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
email

Steve-

I just sent you the '65 manual.

Does anyone expect much difference in the equipment?

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravelle