Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
50amp Conversion / Addition

I have become convinced (from way too much reading here!)...that a 34' should probably come with the 50amp service and the second airconditioner in the bedroom.

What about adding a 50amp service and a second AC after you have purchased?

Is this REAL expensive or difficult? I don't mean DIY...but have a dealer or the factory do it?

My wife (and I) like to be able to make our "living" space very cool if we so desire...and since we would likely be vacationing where it is very hot...the 2nd AC (and 50amps) seems like an important question???

Thanks All...back to my coffee Tom R in Two Harbors, Minnesota...must keep our heas "low"...deer season starts today!
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We have a member in our unit that had the second AC unit added, and simply added a seperate 15 amp shore line for the new AC unit. The unit was installed in the roof vent opening. Seems to work well for him. Not that it matters, but this addition was completed by an AS dealer, on a late model TT.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Extra AC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
I have become convinced (from way too much reading here!)...that a 34' should probably come with the 50amp service and the second airconditioner in the bedroom.

What about adding a 50amp service and a second AC after you have purchased?

Is this REAL expensive or difficult? I don't mean DIY...but have a dealer or the factory do it?

My wife (and I) like to be able to make our "living" space very cool if we so desire...and since we would likely be vacationing where it is very hot...the 2nd AC (and 50amps) seems like an important question???

Thanks All...back to my coffee Tom R in Two Harbors, Minnesota...must keep our heas "low"...deer season starts today!
Hi Tom,

I am in the evaluation phase of the problem. Back in June I started a thread, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...fit-33581.html, on just this topic. The general consensus was to add a separate 30-amp circuit rather than convert to 50. One owner had a unit that had been setup this way at the factory when the secont AC was added there.

My decision was to purchase a 15,000 btu Carrier heat pump to replace the 13,500 Coleman. When I say I am still in the evaluation phase, I cannot tell any difference with the new Carrier in the bed of my F150. I guess I’m going to have to put it on the roof.

Don’t got outside wearing your tan shirt and antler hat today!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Tom,

I am in the evaluation phase of the problem. Back in June I started a thread, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...fit-33581.html, on just this topic. The general consensus was to add a separate 30-amp circuit rather than convert to 50. One owner had a unit that had been setup this way at the factory when the secont AC was added there.

My decision was to purchase a 15,000 btu Carrier heat pump to replace the 13,500 Coleman. When I say I am still in the evaluation phase, I cannot tell any difference with the new Carrier in the bed of my F150. I guess I’m going to have to put it on the roof.

Don’t got outside wearing your tan shirt and antler hat today!
Hi Vaughn...I did a search (after my post) and found your thread. I look forward to your results...but will guess that the two AC solution is much better in 90-100 degree temps .

Seems like AS should consider a 50 amp "standard" for maybe 30'+ new units...with pre-wire in place for optional second roof unit?

Nice looking 1990 34' in the classifieds that is located here in Minnesota...a bit expensive ($19K) but appears to have been maintained well with all systems working. One issue is that it has "sat" for the last couple of years at AS park...may be axel issues?

No loud shots yet...we live in the country...WAY too many deer now so I hope the hunters do well!...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Second AC

Hi again Tom,

I anticipate that I will probably end up adding a second AC in the future. The Coleman is making a lot of noise and short cycling in over 100 degree weather, not uncommon is Arkansas summers. Replacing it first is a logical, relatively easy, start.

I agree about the upgrade for the 30+ units. I saw one 34’ trailer at the Branson rally that had 50-amp service and 2 ACs. It was a new unit that was ordered that way. Very nice!

$19k doesn’t sound too bad for a 1990 if it is in good shape. At least there are 3 axles to carry the load instead of 2. I was looking at a 1983 in excellent condition in Mississippi for $14,900 when one showed up in Arkansas with hail damage for $8,900, so that’s what I bought. Photos at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...age-35809.html and http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...0&userid=17830.

I really like my 34’ 1983 compared to my 24’ 1967.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
_

. , .
hi tomR

good threads on this topic here already, look around.

while i agree the 34s SHOULD come with 50 amp wiring, they are almost all customer ordered now...

so anyone can opt for 50amp 4 a few 100$. i wish i had when my order was placed.

i've camped many days in high humidity and high temps; LOTS of 90-105 days....

one 15k ac unit will keep up IF started early in the day and by shutting the bedroom door and bath door or hall door.

imo the main advantage of the 2nd (rear) ac unit is noise.

with a 2 ac arrangement, the rear ac can be used for most cooling WITHOUT the noise in the living area.

that is a really nice thing.

for total retro fits adding a 2nd 20 or 30 amp circuit is the easier approach.

i recently learned that the pia and costly issue with adding a 2nd ac is the condensation/drip tube.

some interior and inner skin is removed to gain access to the best routing...

so the drip hose can be place inside the wall...

even with amp capacity and 'prewiring' the drip hose is an issue.

cheers
2air'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
...I saw one 34’ trailer at the Branson rally that had 50-amp service and 2 ACs. It was a new unit that was ordered that way. ...
not exactly, v.

'shakers unit was ordered with the 50 amp service,

but the 2nd ac (wiring, drainage, drip pan, ac and switches) was added by david tidmore in weatherford texas.

so interior, skin and so on was removed to fit the drip tube.

it IS a very fine job; probably better that factor supplied.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
not exactly, v.

'shakers unit was ordered with the 50 amp service,

but the 2nd ac (wiring, drainage, drip pan, ac and switches) was added by david tidmore in weatherford texas.

so interior, skin and so on was removed to fit the drip tube.

it IS a very fine job; probably better that factor supplied.
Hi 2air,

Thanks for the correction.

Good point about the drip tube. When the PO retrofitted the Coleman to my ’67 Trade Wind, the drip tube was ignored. There are rust streaks down the street side from the runoff.

The new Carrier has a “slinger” to send the condensation to the condenser and eliminate runoff. I am considering ways to add a connection to the drip tube to augment this. I am having difficulty believing that it can keep up in high humidity.

Happy trails,