Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 10:52 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Franklyfrank, and others. I do not wish to start snarkiness on this forum. But, "quietly run" generator? I've never been in a cg where generators weren't the most annoying noisemakers ever. It doesn't take much in decibels to ruin the peace and quiet of a campsite. Ok if you're boondocking and nearest camper is a mile away. But, damn, I hate those loud smelly things.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:56 PM   #22
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Adding a second battery is a cheap path toward a lot of added utility.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHTP View Post
One of the best things I have done to conserve batteries while boondocking is to install a switch on the Dometic refrigerators door heater. In my case saves at least 12 amp hours per day.
Joe, we have the same units. Mind going off topic and start a new thread with a few pics. of what you did there? TIA
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:46 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobehome View Post
I have no problem with power to my AGM Optima battery for extended (5 or more) days between moving on & towing to next site with a set up like yours. 100w on roof and 100w on ground. I do avoid parking under trees and I do move my portable around to get max sun all day. I only use a few LED lights at night, and even eliminate lights by using LUCI solar lamps. My frig does not need 12v. But my composting toilet fan does, as does my CO2 alarm. These 200w even powers up single battery enough for hubby's CPAP use for 8-9 hours over night. The only time we had problems was near east coast where we had the perfect storm of several days of heavy rain with heavy tree canopy. Never a problem here in the west. Maybe Seattle area.
Hi

I think you will find that the normal AS fridges all have a control board in them that runs on 12V. The board most of them use pulls more current than one would think it should ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Adding a second battery is a cheap path toward a lot of added utility.
So does one with a Sport 16 switch out the current battery and replace with the second when the first gets low or do you somehow run them concurrently?

I just spent 3 nights (2.5 days) boondocking in the woods with my Bambi 16, 80 w (I think) rooftop solar panel, 12 v AGM battery. No water heater, limited water pump, fridge on gas, very limited lights. My Sunexplorer II monitor said I was at 30% by the time I hooked up and headed home.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Snip.."But, damn, I hate those loud smelly things."

Loud smelly things...kids & dogs. TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
But, damn, I hate those loud smelly things.

Our Yamaha 1000 running on propane is very quiet, and can be tucked in a spot away from the CG road and neighbors etc.. It keeps the batteries charged and fridge cold, running about an hour per day. We skip a day or two if possible, and keep the battery voltage well about 12.3 usually.

Click on orange arrow in quote to see the full Post #3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
With fairly low solar and battery capacity, you might want to consider a small gen/inverter fired on propane . . .
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
I am testing my new 2 group, flooded batteries (have to use same type batteries and same condition so Walmart, $75 each) wired in parallel with roof 100 watt and portable 100 watt solar, also in parallel in my driveway. It is sunny here so wont be the same as the shady campsite. Running refer, hot water AM and PM, no fan, some lights. Moving portable several times. Solar has boost mode for flooded so doing that late afternoon.

This morning 90%. If sun an issue at Lake Mary I will turn off refer. Also still have my sealed 12 volt taking as spare in case i need to take two new ones into town for charge.

Will see but think 5 days will work
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #29

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
You got Honda generators from Costco, and for $500 each?? When, and was it an online purchase or an in-store purchase?
Saw the same deal at Costco. What it was is a Honda motor with electronics from another company. What it says is "Honda powered"; don't remember the actual brand.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
With 200W solar generation capability, you're likely set on that end.

I believe you have a reserve issue, in that you can't capture all the energy you produced form the solar. You're largely depleted by the next day. At which point you're able to charge again, but it'll top off prematurely.

Solar chargers will taper off production as it sees the battery getting full, which is what I mean by not capture all the energy possible.

Also, the fact that you're likely depleting each day, is more wear and tear on the batt. Wear causing it to lose usable capacity prematurely. The cycle repeats itself.

Changing for a single larger batt, or adding a second plain matching pair of batts, will do wonders for your setup. No need to go for any exotic battery solutions here.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #31
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Snip....Loud smelly things...kids & dogs. -- snip m--
Old men on a rant, outside TVs, loud speakers, boisterous party types ....... and similar!

2x on the generators being an annoyance. 2x on the run it only 1-2 hrs a day. 10x on conserving power and getting by with quiet efficient solar. 100x on the inexpensive solar solutions.

My personal apology to anyone that the generator disturbs. We keep trying to do better and with less. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Franklyfrank, and others. I do not wish to start snarkiness on this forum. But, "quietly run" generator? I've never been in a cg where generators weren't the most annoying noisemakers ever. It doesn't take much in decibels to ruin the peace and quiet of a campsite. Ok if you're boondocking and nearest camper is a mile away. But, damn, I hate those loud smelly things.
Well now, when it comes to smelly things its hard to beat a Pit Toilet or most common toilet facilities at campgrounds.
Personally I rather smell gasoline.
However not to be snarky in reverse there is no smell emitting from the generator that I can tell and having it purring away outside with the AC set at 72 I sleep like a baby.
As some one noted already " different strokes for different folks " :-)
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
tarzana , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Saw the same deal at Costco. What it was is a Honda motor with electronics from another company. What it says is "Honda powered"; don't remember the actual brand.

Matti
Got them at Costco $499. Free delivery. Yesterday , they were on sale for the price at the store. We use them when we go to the beach and camp on sand.

We just got a new Globetrotter with two 67 volts and solar panels, so haven't used them for a while. Taking them with us to June Lake later this month. I'll let you know the results.

By the way, at 76 years old, my only complaint is that they're heavy to put into the truck. Good exercise ford folks.
frank nordyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Old men on a rant, outside TVs, loud speakers, boisterous party types ....... and similar!

2x on the generators being an annoyance. 2x on the run it only 1-2 hrs a day. 10x on conserving power and getting by with quiet efficient solar. 100x on the inexpensive solar solutions.

My personal apology to anyone that the generator disturbs. We keep trying to do better and with less. Pat

My wife and I can't stand the smell of burning wood especially when its damp or like when some people throw insidious smelling trash on it . Most nights we are surrounded by people burning logs, drinking beer talking loud.
We put up with it. Its part of the landscape and the camp ground experience.
You never seen me post anything negative about it.
But it never fails, when the solar bunch turns lose it always ends in bashing generators.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
So does one with a Sport 16 switch out the current battery and replace with the second when the first gets low or do you somehow run them concurrently?

Hi

"Simple" answer is you go buy two new batteries on sale. You trade in the existing battery for the $35 (or whatever) bounty when you do. The two new batteries get stuffed in somewhere. You wire them in parallel. They charge and discharge just like a single battery from that point on.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
We will be at Lake Mary starting 9/16. Drop by, coldwater campground
Old 09-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Best deal is Walmart but the 24 DCs are out of stock
Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I have a 70 watt panel and I get as much as 38 amps from time to time. This thread seems to be mixing Amps with Amp-Hours. I average 10-15 amps over the sunny part of the day ...say 6 hours. That amounts to 60 amp Hours per day. I do just fine on a single size 27 100 amp hour battery. Did 7 days at Escanaba last year in Solar section.
Have to admit I don't watch much TV but I run the radio nearly 12 hours per day!
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
My objective is to keep batteries from dropping too low over multiple days using just solar. Daily amp hours in and out. Working now in driveway, 4 days so far. Morning usually 80% - 85% and up to 100% by noon, even on overcast mornings as we get here.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
I met an owner of a new AS on my last trip, he said the battery was draining virtually overnight ... & heard that modern fridges run fans that'll drain a battery ?
I could boondock for two weeks probably .. no fridge fans & all LED lighting . only drain would be water pump and 12v fan for the composting toilet ..

my next investment will be portable solar panels to recharge but until I take longer trips, i have no need. I've also seen battery charges you can run straight from your vehicle engine ..? worth checking out.
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote