Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Taylors , South Carolina
30 amp house receptacle.

Currently in the process of building a house. I’ve ask our builder to add the ability to plug our 30 amp generator to power those circuits with the same chord as we used on our recent model AS.

It’s been amazingly difficult to find an example of that online. I’m looking for the twist style receiver like you would find on the AS.

Make sense, can anyone help? Thanks!
Ingrampc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We used our regular RV power cord with the twist at the trailer and a 30a adapter with the twist that fits the generator on the 30a three prom that fit our cord. On the barn 30a RV box, we have a Progressive Dynamics we plug into the box, then our three prong into that. It displays any issues our shore power may have before it energizes the cord. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I assume they are installing an interlock kit too? You can find them as Power Inlets https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electric...s/N-5yc1vZc9e7
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Is it a Marinco 301EL-B.GRAY 30A inlet easy lock gray?

That’s what I have as a spare trailer side connection hinged lid and all.

If I’m wrong not the first time.

Ps greetings from Darlington county.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrampc View Post
I’ve ask our builder to add the ability to plug our 30 amp generator to power those circuits with the same chord as we used on our recent model AS.
Time out.
Before we go any farther, It sounds like you're planning to use your generator as backup power for the house. Am I correct? Be aware that you must disconnect the main or else you'll be sending voltage into the power lines, perhaps injuring a worker fixing the power lines. There are switches designed for that, either/or. Never both.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
We used our regular RV power cord with the twist at the trailer and a 30a adapter with the twist that fits the generator on the 30a three prom that fit our cord. On the barn 30a RV box, we have a Progressive Dynamics we plug into the box, then our three prong into that. It displays any issues our shore power may have before it energizes the cord. Good luck
Bubba nailed it!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Currently in the process of building a house. I’ve ask our builder to add the ability to plug our 30 amp generator to power those circuits with the same chord as we used on our recent model AS.

It’s been amazingly difficult to find an example of that online. I’m looking for the twist style receiver like you would find on the AS.

I assume that you will make use of your standard 30A cord and/or an extension. In either case, the receptacle installed by the electrician will be the same. The outdoor mounting box which the electrician will install is readily available at big-box stores and electrical supply companies.

The most simple outside mounting box will hold the 30A receptacle, but you may want to consider additional options. The electrician will invariably run power from a breaker mounted in your home's main panel. That said, it is convenient to have an additional breaker mounted in the box near your trailer, allowing you to shut off power when not in use. You could also consider having a 15A 110VAC receptacle installed in the same box. Both the 30A and 15A receptacle can have individual breakers. One last consideration; should you ever have need for a 50A service, it would be worth considering having the underground cable sized appropriately. Either install a 50A receptacle now and make use of a 50/30A dog bone, or install a 30A receptacle and change it out if/when the need arrises.
ProPride hitch, 1400#
2018 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Ingrampc......Attached is information on the Nema 3R power inlet box that I installed to power some of my house loads from my Honda 2000i generator. Make sure you have a generator panel box installed so there is no possibility of of back feeding power to your utility supply during an outage. I purchased the generator panel from Home Depot, see link below.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...0096290?NCNI-5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4531.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	389369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4532.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	389370  

Name:	IMG_4533.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	389371  
Old 02-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
Scott Keller

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Medford , New Jersey
Quote:

I purchased a 2020 Airstream (25 ft., FC) and had an electrician install a 50 A service from my house (I have 2 AC units on my AS). You may want to consider bumping your service to a 50 A, as I have noticed during my 1 year experience RV'ing, people trade their units with some frequency.
sk3225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I saw a disconnect that was so simple. It had a sliding cover that covered the generator plug if the Main breakers were "ON". In order for the generator plug to be exposed, the mains had to be off.
Of course, I couldn't find it today. (yet)
This is similar.
Note that in order for the red plate to slide right, the main breaker has to be off. Then you can slide the red plate to the right and flip the sub breaker on (the generator). I'm assuming the sub breaker ties to the outputs of the main breaker, so it's one or the other. Here's the catch, you will only have single phase 120 v. Forget about your electric stove, water heater, dryer, and certainly air conditioner. If you feed one buss, then choose wisely to pick the side with the fridge and some lights.
It's almost easier to live in the Airstream and run it on generator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	breaker2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	389377  
Old 02-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Bambi
FREDERICKSBURG , VA
Super easy to do and if the builder does not install it you can easily do it yourself. They keep them in stock at lowe's this is the one we used
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-30-Am...-Panel/3027569
ShawnSk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rather than a twist-style receptacle on the house, I would think you would want a 30-amp style that you find at a campground pedestal.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Bambi
FREDERICKSBURG , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Rather than a twist-style receptacle on the house, I would think you would want a 30-amp style that you find at a campground pedestal.

Pat
NEMA TT-30R is what you want, that is a 30 amp trailer plug
ShawnSk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Perhaps I read the OP wrong. My understanding is that he wanted his builder to install a box so he could power his home from his generator using the Airstream power cord.
That means the male end goes into the generator, and female end goes to a box installed on the house. (same connector as the Airstream has a power input.)
Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	conntek-covers-80571-gybx-64_1000.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	389382  
Old 02-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
30 amp house receptacle.

MD

Agreed the OP should clear up his request a bit and I read it the same ? as you replied in post 4 but I quoted for the same plug as an AS can use. Your pic is a more box ready.

And back feeding using a gen a whole different thread.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
There are several options for vendors for inter locks that prevent the main from being live at the same time as the generator feed, here is one.

https://www.interlockkit.com/

Anyone suggesting back-feeding through the standard RV outlet like on a pedestal is encouraging very dangerous behavior that could kill a neighbor of a lineman for the utility.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:33 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
MD

And back feeding using a gen a whole different thread.

Gary
I think anytime people start talking about hooking generators up to their houses, back feeding should be part of the discussion.

At least one post recommended doing it himself if not the electrician. It's easy. Sounds like he's recommending a standard back feed plug. While these will work in a pinch, they are NOT to code. AND you as the homeowner are responsible for turning off your mains and isolating your self from the grid manually before turning on your generator.

The OP is having his electrician install this for him on a new build, so presumably, it will be wired to power a small "critical load" sub-panel and be up to code and inspected. And the electrician should have no problem sourcing whatever plug he needs. If the electrician is confused about the plug, then I would start to worry.

And yes, while doing this, he should make it 50amp or at least easily upgradeable. Go big or go home!
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:

Please clarify what your goal is?
a. Are you trying to use a generator power inlet for connecting power to your trailer? (This will not pass inspection because of the required interlock disconnect)
b. Or, are you simply wanting to use your existing generator to power your house?

To meet code> If you are wanting to use a 120v generator to provide power/connect to your 240v house system, it will be easiest to have a secondary distribution center that is only used for 120v. That distribution center will have to be fed by a single pole breaker from the 240v distribution center, to an interlock switch, then to the secondary panel's breakers. The generator could only provide power to the 120v circuits in that secondary panel, not the whole house

If you are wanting to use a 240v generator to feed 240v into your house, all you need is an interlock that separates the main breaker from the generator source. Since 2021 code requires an exterior emergency main disconnect, it is easiest to add a generator inlet at that location.

I installed one similar to this on my nephews house, though this is just one example>
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-D-20...e-Pack/3366856
Old 02-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Been there, had to adjust that

With a fine 3400w generator handy for AS support, I used it as an excuse to finally hire an electrician to install the "either/or" switch outside by the main electrical panel. My desire was to proceed as economically as practical, knowing I am not a qualified electrician, having been bit by electrons before and not wanting a repeat injury.

Also wanted simple - one manual switch.

Imagine my chagrin when the electrician buttoned up, wanted to test and I wheel out the Champion 3400. "Huh; that's 110/120. You need a 240 source to operate the house without parsing the load."

Found a great Cat electric start 9600w 240 capable unit at Home Depot for about a grand. Loud but effective. - as the other automated options were much more expensive and complicated. Works great, DW can operate it and provided no small comfort after the 7+ earthquake in November 2019.