Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
3 prong rocker switch/hot water heater?

I am putting in a illuminated 3 prong rocker switch for my electric/gas pilot water heater. I can heat it with electric or I can heat it by lighing the pilot by hand (no electic starter for pilot).

I have three wires coming out of the back (black, green, white ). I know which is hot, common and ground. I am running the hot to the rocker switch and I have a white common that goes to the rocker switch. I will run a hot to the water tank and I will ground the green to the trailer. The 1960 AC only has a hot and common. Can I run the white common from the hot water heater to the white common that is running to the switch and tie them together? The switch is only there to cut the electric hot off and on. I don't see a problem with it but I am not an electrician and please let me know about any other things I might be missing. I want to get this correct.

Brian
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The switch in your picture is a low (12) voltage switch. Don't attach 120 volt electricity to it. The water heater manufacturer will supply installation instructions. Obtain and follow those. You don't list a make or model.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
First I would check the rating on the switch to make sure it is for 120volts or more and the amperage rating is higher than your water heater.
All neutrals (commons) can be tied together.
The side of the switch might have a diagram on it that looks similar to this drawing depending upon if the light is on at all times or on only when the heater is on.
One side of the light and one side of the switch share one of the three terminals. That is the power (hot) in.
I hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hp_scanDS_1231320582723.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	153313  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I am putting in a illuminated 3 prong rocker switch for my electric/gas pilot water heater. I can heat it with electric or I can heat it by lighing the pilot by hand (no electic starter for pilot).

I have three wires coming out of the back (black, green, white ). I know which is hot, common and ground. I am running the hot to the rocker switch and I have a white common that goes to the rocker switch. I will run a hot to the water tank and I will ground the green to the trailer. The 1960 AC only has a hot and common. Can I run the white common from the hot water heater to the white common that is running to the switch and tie them together? The switch is only there to cut the electric hot off and on. I don't see a problem with it but I am not an electrician and please let me know about any other things I might be missing. I want to get this correct.

Brian
If the heater is an Atwood, this link might help.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...S%204.9.09.pdf

Go slow!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
The picture of the switch that is in the photo is not the one I have. Mine is rated for 120. It says it on the switch and this is what the RV dealer told me what it was for. Thanks for the advice about the neutral. I will install this weekend. Thanks for the advice for making sure I have the correct switch. Electricity is not my strength.

Brian
Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The sketch that Tiger provided is in error. The light will stay on all of the time in both cases. If you want the light on only when the heater is in the electric mode it should be wired to the hot out and the neutral.
As others have mentioned you need to make sure the switch you use is rated for the function.
I would not recommend tying the 120 volt neutral to the 12 volt DC common/ground. The 120 volt neutral is "floating" in your trailer therefore it should not be tied to the skin or frame of the trailer. Only the the earth ground (green or bare) wire on the 120 volt system should be tied to the skin or frame. The 12 volt common/ground should also be tied to the skin or frame of the trailer.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote