Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
3 Time Owner

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
2018 Multistage Converter

Just bought a new 2018 and I'm trying to figure out if the converter is a true multistage converter (as the msrp says) or if I should have it replaced with a higher quality one. Does anyone know if this converter is good enough and will truly monitor batteries and switch to a trickle charge when fully charged to insure batteries don't get fried? I've searched this forum and the web and haven't really found much for opinions. Mine is a 2018 International Signature 25'. Thanks!
MJpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I believe you're getting a WFCO basic three-stage battery charger - bulk, absorption, and float, just no equalize. I've read that it includes temperature compensation, but the sensor is not remote, so I'm not sure how valuable that feature is when the outside temperature is very hot and the inside of the trailer is cool.

Is it better than a single-stage converter - sure. Does it guarantee that your batteries will be cared for as well as they possibly could - no. Is it good enough - probably?

The concern diminishes if you're planning to add solar, since many of the solar chargers provide four-stage chargers and remote temperature compensation.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

I would.... get the make & model of the installed unit.
Do the google on it, check reviews and specs.
Take into consideration all the up-grades that you don't now plan to do but that you'll probably end up doing down the road. 😂
Remember.....“Its better to have what you don't need when you need it, than not to have it when you don’t”. or “you may think you don’t need it, but when you do….you’ll have it.” 😳👍
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If at some point down the road you decide to upgrade to Lithium's, you likely will get a charger that is Lithium specific. Right now, you have at least a year of warranty on your batteries and your charger. I'd suggest that getting one season out of that warranty might be a good idea.... Using the trailer for a while should give you a pretty good idea of what you want to upgrade and how you want to do it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote