Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Master Chief BT

2018 27' International
Tyler , Texas
2018 International Signature new AGM battery charging

I know this is the gazallionth time this has probably been asked on this forum....being new to Airstream I have a 2018 International Signature 27FBQ that I just dropped some new group 27 AGM batteries in. I normally leave shore power hooked up When it’s in my driveway and I know that when I do that the batteries charge no matter what position the battery disconnect switch is in....I guess my question still is and in reading from this forum it appears that in the 2018 model year the converter was changed out from the Parallax single stage converter to a multi stage. Is that correct? Is this called a smart charger if so? Does my 2018 International have a multi stage charger converter and can I leave shore-power hooked up and not overcharge my new AGM batteries? Right now I have shore-power killed and battery disconnect off so only the small parasitic pulls are happening on the new batteries. Battery voltage read 13.4 before shutting down. Can I just fire up shore power a couple days before I leave and engage disconnect switch and top off batteries? I know....so many questions....I appreciate your veteran Airstreamers direction to this old Master Chief!
WBCCI#11290
US Navy (ret) Master Chief Boiler Technician
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
Master Chief BT

2018 27' International
Tyler , Texas
So what I have read is that I have a WFCO WF-9865 3 stage converter in my 2018 International Signature. Supposedly it’s better suited for AGM batteries over lead acid. It should charge the AGMs and the “float” mode of the 3 stage converter is more effective with the AGM batteries controlling voltage on shore power low loaded 12volt load. I don’t want to cook $450 worth of batteries so am I correct here with that logic?

Am I missing something?
WBCCI#11290
US Navy (ret) Master Chief Boiler Technician
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Lubbock , Texas
I just bought a 2020 globetrotter 23fb and was trying to figure the exact same thing out. Would prefer not to destroy the batteries.

I have a WF-8955 which looks like it has a similar charge profile to yours. The absorption charge on mine is 13.6V, but according to Lifeline tech manual, I need a charge voltage of 14.41V at 70F.

Maybe a different AGM battery would charge differently? Seems like trading out the converter would involve considerable work.
rubikcube is offline   Reply With Quote