Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2018 30' Flying Cloud
Norman , Oklahoma
2018 Flying Cloud Converter location

Has anyone had any experience getting back to the converter on the 2018 trailers yet?

Having a few issues with converter tripping the breaker. I think converter is fine but have read where some think WFCO converters have some issues.

My question:
The only way to get the converter in or out is through the panel board cut out on the wall right? Just seems a little tight to have to pull panel board out of the way to get to the converter if needed.

No one has replaced a converter on a 2018 WFCo 8930/50 panel board yet right?

I think its fine as it has not tripped from our last outing. Just pulled panel board off just to see if converter had something up.
OKStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Longview , Texas
Location of Power Converter on 2018 Flying Cloud

I am trying to find mine right now. Went thru an electrical storm camping in Broken Bow OK, surge protector fried but kept most of the unit safe. The only problem now is that the converter is not charging batteries. I suspect a fuse, but it's possible the entire unit is gone.

Just need to find it so I can test it and determine path forward.

Anyone know how to find where exactly it's hidden???

Thanks, J

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStream View Post
Has anyone had any experience getting back to the converter on the 2018 trailers yet?

Having a few issues with converter tripping the breaker. I think converter is fine but have read where some think WFCO converters have some issues.

My question:
The only way to get the converter in or out is through the panel board cut out on the wall right? Just seems a little tight to have to pull panel board out of the way to get to the converter if needed.

No one has replaced a converter on a 2018 WFCo 8930/50 panel board yet right?

I think its fine as it has not tripped from our last outing. Just pulled panel board off just to see if converter had something up.
Jimbo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Longview , Texas
Thumbs up Power Converter Update- the Fun Stuff

Welll. I took my good old sweet time, pulled the converter, put my multimeter on it, and determined that it was putting out close to the right voltage DC.

It would not, however, charge my batteries. And the Sun Explorer ll display was all messed up.

Put the batteries on a charger, and charged them up to 100%. As I was reinstalling the converter, I hooked up the DC wires first, then the ground. Before I plugged it back in to 120V AC, I heard a switch click inside the unit. Hmm.

So I came back the next morning to check the batteries, still topped off at 100%. All DC lights fans, etc. are working.

3 days later, and it is still charging just fine. My only guess is that when the batteries aren't fully charged, a switch in the unit isn't under enough current to turn on the charging circuit.

So I didn't spend anything but time to work thru the potential issues, only to find that when the batteries get low things don't work right, like the converter charging cycle. Hmmm. Duh. Glad I didn't actually buy that EXPENSIVE converter from Camping World.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo59 View Post
I am trying to find mine right now. Went thru an electrical storm camping in Broken Bow OK, surge protector fried but kept most of the unit safe. The only problem now is that the converter is not charging batteries. I suspect a fuse, but it's possible the entire unit is gone.

Just need to find it so I can test it and determine path forward.

Anyone know how to find where exactly it's hidden???

Thanks, J
Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If the batteries are low enough, there isn’t enough current left to close the “use/store” relay so the batteries remain isolated even if the converter is working.

Don’t ask me how I learned this...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Longview , Texas
Another Converter Question

OK, you seem to know the things that I'm working thru, one additional question.

Will the converter for a 50 amp unit charge properly if it's only on a 15 amp source? The reason I ask is that I'm still having issues, battery is still slightly bleeding down over time, but if I hook them up to a deep cycle battery charger the lights, and all else, come right back to life and everything works properly again.

I'm suspecting the power source is not sufficient, or else the converter is still damaged in some way.

Thanks, Jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
If the batteries are low enough, there isn’t enough current left to close the “use/store” relay so the batteries remain isolated even if the converter is working.

Don’t ask me how I learned this...
Old 02-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Dadeville , Alabama
Jimbo, did you ever sort your problem out? I am having a similar problem - I think. The little panel above the sink indicates nearly 18 volts but at the batteries I am only indicating 12.5 volts. Did your panel ever indicate high voltage?
Viperdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Longview , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperdogg View Post
Jimbo, did you ever sort your problem out? I am having a similar problem - I think. The little panel above the sink indicates nearly 18 volts but at the batteries I am only indicating 12.5 volts. Did your panel ever indicate high voltage?
Viperdogg, haven't been here in while. No, never reported high voltage. Mine was a combination of low voltage at the storage unit and my surge protector having gone bad. Storage unit fixed their issue and I replaced the surge with a Power Watchdog unit and all has been good.