Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
2017 FC26 - add 4x100ah LiFe batteries and 3k inverter

Has anyone with FC26 added 4 BB or equivalent LiFe batteries and a Multiplus or equivalent 3k inverter in a 50amp system? Curious if there was room under the front lounge for batteries and inverter and other components. I currently have a PWM solar controller and 400w on the roof but thinking of upgrading to LiFe.

Thanks in advance for anyone with experience or suggestions on this.
Dave
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i did that in our as 22fb
there is room for the 3000k and the solar and 4 bb lion battery. the later consumes the space for 1 of 4 As supplied storage containers
the 3000k is easily placed next to the water heater in our 22fb
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Thanks. Sounds like you placed your batteries under bed? I have Rear Twin model and want to place batteries under front 'U' shaped lounge.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I'm scheduled to have this done in July to my 2019 FC26 RBQ. The parts list outlined by Airstream Nuts N Bolts is calling for the smaller GC2 Battleborn model. Not sure where they will be placed, but I am willing to give up the front outside compartment. As it sits, there is enough room for four full size Li batteries on the curb side corner.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Thanks! I haven't met Ronnie but sounds like he does great work! I plan to have my system in for an early June leave date so won't be able to wait to hear how your install went.

I figure once I pull the lounge bases out I'll be able to assess where things will fit. There is probably quite a bit of wasted space on curb side, think only the shoe tray/compartment has anything there...if I need space on street side I could always take out the base speaker....

Dave
Old 03-01-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Healdsburg , California
What 3000K brand did you install? Victron? Magnum? I have the same 22FB (2018). Unfortunately, the two Li batteries were installed by the Airstream dealer adjacent the HW heater. So I'm thinking of moving them to the front of the AS beneath the bed where the storage tubs are sitting (and very hard to reach anyway). That will give me room to install the 3000K inverter. The existing 1000K WFCO is nearly worthless to me. Thanks for your post, Roy
Old 03-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-n-Janet View Post
Thanks! I haven't met Ronnie but sounds like he does great work! ..if I need space on street side I could always take out the base speaker....
Dave
Isn't the furnace under there, was well as the inverter? The forward bench has access to the outside storage taking up part of it, maybe all. You do have the shoe cubby. But it's better to have the battery weight on the centerline, yes?
You could lock up the front storage, since you'll gain the battery box for storage now.
I'd leave this to the professionals, but if you're removing panels, Please post the pictures, since I'm curious where all the pieces go in the 26U.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
@lilboomer

IMHO, place the LIOn batter under the bed close to the front. You can fit 4x battle born lion where one of the AS stock containers go

we placed the Victron converter/inverter next to the water heater as it fit like a glove
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Will try and post pics as project commences...
Old 03-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #10
IM Streamin

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
26U Electrical Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-n-Janet View Post
Has anyone with FC26 added 4 BB or equivalent LiFe batteries and a Multiplus or equivalent 3k inverter in a 50amp system? Curious if there was room under the front lounge for batteries and inverter and other components. I currently have a PWM solar controller and 400w on the roof but thinking of upgrading to LiFe.

Thanks in advance for anyone with experience or suggestions on this.
Dave
Hi Dave,

I performed this upgrade on my 26U last summer and it has been working well so far. I initially just wanted to update the batteries but as usual, it snowballed. :-)

It included (at a high level) - 4 Battleborn GC2 Lithiums(Have room for 2 more), Victron 3K Inverter/converter, AM Solar Phase Selector, 6 100w Renogy solar panels wired in series/parallel, Victron 100/50 Solar controller, BMV-712 battery monitor, an extra thermal monitor with fans (just-in-case) and a bunch of supporting 'stuff'.

I removed the old converter but used the existing DC Fuse and Breaker panel, I located the AM Solar under the closet by the existing Power Industries power protection.

I can access/monitor system parameters via Victron bluetooth app on my phone which reduced my need for the fancy display panel.

I've included a few pics (sorry for misorientation but I don't use this tool much). I also attached a tracking spreadsheet of all of these items with desc, price, links that may be useful.

Were heading for Big Bend Thu or Fri, so if you have questions, let me know ASAP else I'm not very useful while traveling. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1372.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	389708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	389709  

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	389710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	389711  

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	389712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	389713  

Name:	IMG_1375.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	389714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	389715  

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Battery-Upgrade-Airstream-26U.xlsx (27.7 KB, 27 views)
IB Streamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:45 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Awesome! Thanks. I just ordered the 4 regular BB's , they may not fit quite so snug. Your use of the hidden compartment as a chase is what I was thinking as well, using that as space for fuse and disconnect as well as matching fans looks like a good idea.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Streamin View Post
I performed this upgrade on my 26U last summer and it has been working well so far. I initially just wanted to update the batteries but as usual, it snowballed. :-)
Mark, I have the same trailer as you, I see you have your batteries on the curb side and the inverter and MPPT on the road side. Is the distance between batteries and inverter not a problem with voltage drop, or is that why you're using 4/0 cables?
Thanks
Rich
rich.dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:49 AM   #13
IM Streamin

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
4/0 cables...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.dev View Post
Mark, I have the same trailer as you, I see you have your batteries on the curb side and the inverter and MPPT on the road side. Is the distance between batteries and inverter not a problem with voltage drop, or is that why you're using 4/0 cables?
Thanks
Rich
Hi Rich,
Yes, 4/0 cables have little voltage drop over that length between battery bank and inverter/converter. I used the original (surplus) battery cables to run between MPPT and batteries. After initial install, I stressed the system with significant current loads and could feel some warmth in the cables which I perceived as normal. The system has been performing well.
Regards,
Mark
Old 03-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Thanks Mark!!

Big thanks to you Mark for the spreadsheet and pics you provided. I finished up the install and everything working well except one small problem with running 15k AC off the Inverter, but I swapped around the 13.5 and 15k which runs the 13.5k on Inverter and that is sufficient for now. The links for parts were VERY helpful, although some things were not available but I was able to make do.

Did your system perform as expected on your Big Bend trip? We'll be heading down that way next Feb. Been there once already and loved it. If you go farther west, I really enjoyed our stop at Heuco Tanks (30 miles east of El Paso).

Dave
Old 04-06-2021, 06:25 AM   #15
IM Streamin

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
You’re Welcome...

Hi Dave,

I’m glad you were successful in your electrical upgrade and that my info was of some use to you.

Regarding AC, I only have soft start installed on my smaller 13.5 unit so I can’t provide parallel reference for you. Did you install softstart on both units? I only plan to use inverter power for AC to supplement 30A hookups or supplement generator when boondocking. This inverter feature was one I found most useful. We spend a lot of time hooked up to 20A or 30A and the inverter helps balance those over current situations.

Our trip to Big Bend went very well. Last minute reservations allowed us 3 nights at Rio Grande and 1 night at Cottonwood. These were no hookup sites so the electrical upgrade served us well. Weather was cool enough so AC was not used. Some nighttime furnace was needed and we freely used microwave and all other electrical goodies. The largest battery capacity drawdown was about 20% and the solar had it recharged fully by midday under partly cloudy conditions. In summary, the electrical upgrade gives us more confidence and enjoyment of these conveniences.

Now the resource management focus is more around water/wastewater. Rio Grande has a convenient dump and fresh water source. Cottonwood has some fresh water but the spigots are unthreaded. Since we only stayed one night, we barely used what we brought in.

I think Hueco Tanks was closed but we certainly have it on our todo list. I think you’ll enjoy Big Bend even more with your new upgrade.

Safe and happy travels.

Mark
Old 04-07-2021, 04:26 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Thanks for update! Looking forward to using our electrical upgrade.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Tongue jack wire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Streamin View Post
Hi Rich,
Yes, 4/0 cables have little voltage drop over that length between battery bank and inverter/converter. I used the original (surplus) battery cables to run between MPPT and batteries. After initial install, I stressed the system with significant current loads and could feel some warmth in the cables which I perceived as normal. The system has been performing well.
Regards,
Mark
Thanks Mark. What size wire did you use to extend the tongue jack wire to the relay, is it the same as the stock 10Ga?
rich.dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:04 PM   #18
IM Streamin

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Tongue jack wire size

Quote:

Hi Mark, what size wire did you use to extend the tongue jack wire to the relay, is it the same as the stock 10Ga?

Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard,
I used the same size (10Ga) as the stock/original.
Regards,
Mark