Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Estes Park , Colorado
Exclamation 2017 25ft Rear Bed International

First trip.....on shore power... disconnected from truck. Inverter outlets functioning. No others working. GFI outlets ...will not set. Fuses in main panel look good. Help! Is there another breaker or switch I am missing?
CaptB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Is the breaker for the 30 amp (or 50 amp) switched on at the shore power pedestal?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Estes Park , Colorado
I am probably not looking at the right place for it. What / where do I need to look?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Estes Park , Colorado
All breakers in panel are set/reset. Is there another switch or breaker I am missing for shore power?
Old 07-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Estes Park , Colorado
Angry

When I pull fuses for effected circuits, no red light comes on....so no power to them either. breaker reset. Either breaker is bad or I am still missing something??????
Old 07-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I do not know what you are talking about. There are no fuses on the AC side, only breakers. I do not know what red lights you are talking about. Have you checked to see if all GCFI's are tripped and then reset, including the one outside?
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Estes Park , Colorado
None of GCFI's will reset No power to them. Only outlets working are via the inverter circuit.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ok. Newbie? We ALL were at some point.

BASICS when you are plugged into a campground's power you normally have to turn the power on at the 30 or 50 amp breaker on the stantion. Those campground breakers often go bad. EXPOSURE TO WEATHER, etc. If you suspect that the 30 amp is bad, look for a 20 to 30 amp adaptor that should have been supplied in your bumper compartment. plug in to the 15/20 amp outlet and see of that one works. If so call the office and ask them to replace the 30 or lend you a 50 amp dogbone and hook up to the 50 amp plug.

You should have a polarity tester too that plugs into any standard outlet in the trailer and with a correctly wired stantion shows 2 yellow lights. Failing to get that? Ask any camper there... 99% will help if you just admit to being a virgin.

Check the run/store switching
inside the door. It should be set to Run.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Is there electric at the shore power panel/pedestal provided by the campground?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oh poopie. INVERTER runs 2 or 3 inverter plugs only. It uses the trailer batteries to make a/c from the 12 volt batteries. Regular outlets run from the CONVERTER .. a big black box on the floor somewhere (under the bed or one of the dinette benches or under a closet). The converter distributes alternating current to your electrical appliances and outlets , and it charges the trailer batteries too.
Look for a black metal box about the size of a case of beer. There is a door that opens downward after twisting the lock with a coin or screwdriver.
There are circuit breakers on the left and blade fuses on the right. Ignore the blade fuses for a minute. If any of the breakers might be tripped you cannot reset them except by turning them off (down) then pulling them up. Cant hurt anything to reset them all.

I know it violates the "guy code" to personally ASK another guy for help but get over it and ASK. Campers are the different... they are warm hearted and most will tell you funny stories about their early experiences.

Paula (left the campground with my steps down ONCE.. have seen more than one antenna snagged by a branch, and....)
Old 07-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
There are so many things it could be ya should definitely ask the campground workers or host for some help.

Like others said... Is it turned on at the pedestal? Do you have a red light at your plug indicating power from the pedestal? Have you used a gfci tester to make sure the pedestal is wired and functionin right?
https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru...ds=Gfci+tester

Really ya should have a surge protector that gets plugged in first and tells ya if everything's right and then at least ya know if it's your trailer or the campground.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015G2YYN0

People around you can help with this...
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Estes Park , Colorado
Is there a master CGFI reset? No power to any CGFI circuits. Asking for help isn't a problem. All else is working fine. Getting a lot of head scratching. Of course long weekend and no place is open for tech support. Can survive as is for now. THink I'll go fishing
Old 07-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #13
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Fishin is a great idea.

Yes there is a master breaker in your black converter box. But I still don't understand how ya know the problem isn't the pedestal-- as in the box you plugged into at the campground. Have you ruled that out?
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Estes Park , Colorado
Trout fishing was a great break. Not sure how the camp ground plug in got involved in discussion. We are at our daughter's. Plugged into same garage outlet we have used with other campers when here previously. I'll check that circuit again in AM.

Appreciate all the inputs so far.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
CaptB, we would really like to help you so let's go back to the beginning. If you are on a house circuit, plug something else into that outlet and make sure you have power.
Inside your trailer at your converter/charger you will see the AC breaker panel. The main breaker is usually the one on the left, marked 30. Flip it all the way down then back up for a full reset. That should provide AC power to the other circuits, with breakers to the right.
One other possibility is that the auto transfer switch has failed, which senses power at either the front connection or the side connection. There have been numerous reports of this. If you are plugged in to the side, try plugging in to the front, or vice versa. When it fails, it usually stays connected to one of the outlets.
With your power cord disconnected, you can do a continuity check with an ohmmeter of the power cord, but these usually do not fail.
It sounds like you have never used shore power before, not knowing if it ever worked. It is possible that there is a failure in the connection behind your outside shore power outlet, but it is hard to believe that a dealer PDI would not have discovered that.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Most household outlets are not 30 amp so you may have tripped the breaker in the supply panel. Reset the breaker that supplies the outlet you are plugged into. I assume you are using an adapter to plug into the house?
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Okay, at your daughter's place plugged into a house receptacle. I'll keep guessing.

Is that house receptacle GFCI protected? If so it may be sensing a grand fault in your Airstream and shutting off power. I believe some RV's (ours for example) have a radio interference filter somewhere in the system that can be read as a ground fault to external GFCI power supply. Plug it into a non-GFCI protected circuit and it will provide power.

On the other hand your new Airstream may actually have a ground fault. That should be checked out by the dealer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Estes Park , Colorado
Was able to talk to two techs today. Both agree problem is one of three things I had concluded: bad CGFI switch, bad breaker or loose wire connection. Although can't get into local dealership before 1 Aug, tech said to bring in AM and he will try a quick diagnosis. Will be at purchase dealership in couple weeks and have several smaller items to check out, so may just survive as is until then. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Estes Park , Colorado
Time to end this tread. Checked out at a dealer. Conclusion: Bad GFI switch. Couldn't get scheduled until August so replaced the switch and used good outdoor electrical tape to seal around switch. All working now. Have appointment with selling dealer to check all out when we are there.

Conclusion: First idea is usually the most correct but often hardest to verify.