Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #1

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
2014 FC 12 volt problem

I just went to my storage facility and disconnected the shore power from my trailer. I opened the trailer, pressed the battery use switch and flipped the switch for the kitchen and dinette lights. Nothing??? I went to the bedroom and turn that switch on and the bedroom lights came on then quickly went out. Same with exterior lights. I have a cigarette lighter battery indicator and it says the battery is fully charged(13.68)
I then plugged the 110 back and lights worked . Disconnected and tried again , still nothing in battery???
Any suggestions or ideas??
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Did you check your 12 volt circuit breakers?
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Like AC says, check the breakers first.

When you use the tester, what is the reading in USE position without shore power?

When you plug up to shore power and you haven't flipped on the USE switch, will the 12v lights work? On mine, if I'm on shore power and turn off the USE switch, the lights get dim, but stay on because they are running on 12v through the converter but the converter isn't charging. (I think, still learning). If I turn to USE, lights get brighter, converter now charging.

I'm thinking you have a converter problem. When you plug into shore, but don't turn on USE, the lights should still come on even without USE being on. Unplug from shore and the lights will go out and you have to switch to USE. Anyhow, that's how mine works, your mileage may vary.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
Thanks, where are the 12 volt breakers on a 2014 FC rear queen????

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
Did you check your 12 volt circuit breakers?
Fred, did you mean breakers or fuses? My AS doesn't have any DC breakers, only AC. If there are DC breakers, where are they? At the front wall?

egraham, have you checked the fuses at the converter? Does anything on 12 vdc work, like the radio or is everything out?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Your AS should be under warranty. If the fuses are good and you've checked all the connections at the converter, I'd call your dealer and ask them or take it back and let them deal with it. If it's not something simple like connections or fuses then you need to get them involved.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
Thanks, where are the 12 volt breakers on a 2014 FC rear queen????
I can only speak for mine which is a 2009 Classic. I have a 12 volt breaker panel near my converter. Your's may have fuses. In either case the 12 volt panel should be near your converter/inverter which should be located near your batteries.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #8

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
I just went to my storage facility and disconnected the shore power from my trailer. I opened the trailer, pressed the battery use switch and flipped the switch for the kitchen and dinette lights. Nothing??? I went to the bedroom and turn that switch on and the bedroom lights came on then quickly went out. Same with exterior lights. I have a cigarette lighter battery indicator and it says the battery is fully charged(13.68)
I then plugged the 110 back and lights worked . Disconnected and tried again , still nothing in battery???
Any suggestions or ideas??
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Update: today I checked the battery with out shore power and switch in use position.
Battery dead, I have been trying to charge the battery with switch in the store position!!
Hooked up the shore power with switch on use, 10 hours later battery charged and 12 volt lights work.
OPERATOR ERROR!!!!!!!
Thanks for the input, still learning!

Old 07-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
OPERATOR ERROR!!!!!!!
Thanks for the input, still learning!
Yeah, me too I have a solar panel on the roof and I'm still trying to figure out just what the charge state of the batteries is. The solar helps extend the amp hours but I can't figure out the panel readings. But I sure like being in the AS and having a good time and that's what counts.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8

Tags
12 volt