Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 on the road no power

We have been at Tiger Run in Breckenridge, CO for the last few days. A/C on wife was using the blow dryer, turned it off and was using the curling iron. After maybe 5 minutes everything shut off. Checked the shore power it was good. Checked the breaker panel everything good. Reset breakers anyway. Changed over to the 50 amp service. Still no AC. Looks like we can use the battery for lights. Are there anyother breakers/fuses I should look at for incoming A/C. I dont see anything in the manual. Just reference to the breaker panel. Thanks, Howard
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Checked the GFI - reset?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

GFI not tripped. Tried reset nothing. Tried test nothing. No AC
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Which method did you use to check shore power?

Do you have a no contact voltage tester? Multi-meter?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Sometimes, circuit breakers look OK even though tripped. You may wish to try pushing each breaker FIRMLY to the OFF position and then firmly back ON, if you have not already done so. Also, do the same to the breakers in the campground power box.

Not sure if your references to AC and A/C are "air conditioner" or "110-volt AC power". Could you please be more specific?

Along those lines, are the other 110 VAC outlets hot? Try plugging a night light or other 110 volt device into some of the other 110v outlets to see if you have power to them.

Also, which campground power receptacle were you plugged into when the original power failure occurred (20, 30 or 50 amps)?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

30 amp shore not tripped. Checked other A/C outlets nothing. We were running the air con with one curling iron on, nothing else. Last trip to AZ we had trouble running air con and tripping the 30 amp service at the shore box. Changed over to the 50 amp and did not trip it though the air con would not cool the trailer if out side was over 85.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I am unfamiliar with 25-foot Airstream models, but I think I recall other forum threads discussing some big fuses near where shore power enters the trailer or near the converter. If you have the big bundle of owner's manual literature that came with your Airstream, you may be able to find where those fuses are located, and check them. Otherwise, I am sure others will provide more information as the day progresses; and they check for new posts.

In the meantime, if you have a voltmeter, you may wish to check the voltage at the trailer-end of the shore power cord. It is highly unlikely that the shore power cord is open (unless it is damaged), but this is just one more easy item to check and to eliminate as a potential problem.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
30 amp shore not tripped.
The campground will have a breaker in addition to the one on the post. How did you objectively check to be sure there's power at the campground connection? Looking at the breaker is not a test.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
This 110-volt receptacle tester will show if voltage is present and properly wired:

Walmart.com: GE 3 Prong Receptacle Tester: Electrical

These are available about anywhere and only cost a few dollars. Great tool for checking campground wiring, BEFORE connecting shore power cord. We have found a couple of older campgrounds that had ground faults.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
have you tried plugging the shore line into the connector in the front?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Had camp ground check 30A AC and it was good. Plugged 20 amp into front of trailer using my cheater cord and had power. Went back and tried the 30 amp again nothing. Disconnected the 30 amp cord at the rear and tired the 20 amp cheater cable and it worked. Put the main power cord back in with 30 amp and nothing. Tried the 50 amp for the third time and it started working. Have the air con back on. Not sure what to think at this point. Thanks for the input!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it sounds a lot like this recent issue:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...wer-93065.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Sure does!! Thank you for the link. Didn't think I could be much more disappointed but the issues just keep coming.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Well it all just shut off again. Had to wait a bit and then got the 20 amp working at the generator plug in. We are just going to cut our trip short and head back home in the morning. I am ready to sell!! I can't believe all the issues we have had with a brand new 60k "premium" product. Airstream should be ashamed!!!! I know I am for having made the purchase.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Other's with 2012 models have had problems with the "transfer switch".

Here's a thread to ck out.

Bob
Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
... I am ready to sell!! I can't believe all the issues we have had with a brand new 60k "premium" product. Airstream should be ashamed!!!! I know I am for having made the purchase.
So sorry to hear this is happening, and I agree that it shouldn't happen with a new Airstream. Try not to get too discouraged. (Easy for me to say, right?) I had a defect in my new Airstream that prevented me from camping for nearly two months. I had to be persistent to get to the level it should have been when it left the factory. I'm hopeful you can get this straightened out.

Perhaps you can get some answers from your dealership tomorrow. If not, contact Airstream direct. Indications are they are beginning to realize the power of social media.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Well it all just shut off again. Had to wait a bit and then got the 20 amp working at the generator plug in. We are just going to cut our trip short and head back home in the morning. I am ready to sell!! I can't believe all the issues we have had with a brand new 60k "premium" product. Airstream should be ashamed!!!! I know I am for having made the purchase.
I'm predicting the end of Airstream in the next year or two... their dealer network is shrinking... their quality is not improving... and costs will continue to rise...

If they weren't marking them up 3x their cost, they'd be broke.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Buried in the other thread (no 110v when hooked to shore power) is my post about the automatic transfer switch. Don't give up yet. Airstream is aware of the many problems, and I'm hoping a fix is in the works. Anyway I will be getting my 3rd converter/ATS and hope I get a good one.

Don
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Whatever is going on it it not normal. Even if you get working for you, document what's happening and in what sequence and all the details you can remember so you'll have that information for the techs. Sorry this has been happening to you...it is certainly no fun and is no doubt disappointing. But don't let predictions of Airstream going under in the near future throw you....that is not helpful to you in your situation. Hang in there, be persistent and follow through with stuff, take advantage of the warranty period, and it will get resolved...and hopefully you can join the ranks of those of us who are happy with our rigs.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston
Buried in the other thread (no 110v when hooked to shore power) is my post about the automatic transfer switch. Don't give up yet. Airstream is aware of the many problems, and I'm hoping a fix is in the works. Anyway I will be getting my 3rd converter/ATS and hope I get a good one.

Don
Third ATS over what period of time? How often are the breaking?
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote