Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston View Post
Buried in the other thread (no 110v when hooked to shore power) is my post about the automatic transfer switch. Don't give up yet. Airstream is aware of the many problems, and I'm hoping a fix is in the works. Anyway I will be getting my 3rd converter/ATS and hope I get a good one.

Don
Hi Don,

Thank you very much for the follow-up, comments and your reporting. You are a true saint if you are on your third converter/ATS unless you are working on a lemon law application and if so more power to you. This is really what needs to start happening for the factory to take note. If they are only sending out the same replacement parts with the hope of getting you a good one it is one very sad statement to Airstream engineering and quality. WOW!!

There is no way I will take the trailer back out not knowing for sure that it will not fail again, not even if I had new free replacement parts on hand. NO WAY! I did not buy it to fear failures/reliability quite the opposite I thought it was the best in both categories.

I am leaning toward redoing the whole thing myself. New IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 (intelligent 3 stage battery charger/controller) to replace the cheap Parallax (dumb single stage) converter and a Lyght Power LPT-50 ATS rated at 50A as recommended by Jim in engineering at IOTA to replace the failing Parallax ATS. This is what Airstream should be doing at least on the ATS as a minimum.

Too bad the mystique and dreams got in the way of reality and due diligence before I made the purchase.
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
I purchased my trailer on April 23. The first ATS failed on May 5. A 2.5 hour drive to the dealer plus coming back to get it after 2 weeks got me a new converter/ATS. On June 30 the new ATS failed. I will be getting a new converter/ATS later this month when the part and I meet somewhere in the lower 48.

I am at my technical expertise limit with the re-wiring, so I don't know about alternate units. I am going to play the warranty game for now. If I feel uncomfortable with my 3rd unit I can install the manual switch.

I encourage anyone with similiar problems to send an email to Airstream Customer Service. It will be easier for them pick up the trend with our stories on paper (computer?).

Don
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

I just called the Airstream Free Technical Support Line and left a message regarding the repair of my non-cooling air conditioning, tank monitors DOA, and no power when the breakers are not tripped. The web site states “This is a voice mail system only. Your call will be returned within 24 hrs”
The recording stated that a "response will be within 24 to 48 hours". Here is another I had no idea but I am not going to comment on what I think about this level of customer service as I don’t want to continue to be seen as one of the "handful here who pile onto every problem with incredible enthusiasm". I'll wait to see when factory service gets back to me and hopefully it will be sooner than 48 hours.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Newport , Rhode Island
Although I've been reading the many threads that list nothing but problems, I've been silent on this site with my troubles. But like Collimare, I'm equally frustrated with the numerous quality issues and am deciding whether to continue to deal with them, or to just cut my losses and sell. Good Luck.
queenbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Collimare, I had called two different times on two different issues, and both times they had called me back within 12 hours. I had missed one of the calls and played phone tag, but they did call back.

Good Luck!
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Queenbee, What kind of issues have you had? Having the same model I am interested in knowing either what I have missed or can expect to encounter. You can PM me if you would rather.

Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

I did hear back from Airstream customer service at 11:30AM and without comment she told me to call Windish RV the local authorized dealer. I just spoke with the service department at Windish and Dave told me the first available appointment was July 30th. When I hesitated he said I better snap it up as it is the only one available that week.

No 30A power, no A/C and I can’t get it in for three weeks and then how long is it in for. We did have plans that also include meeting friends.

What now, do I call Airstream back, to what avail?

Take a few days off and take it somewhere else? Where, when and how long there?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Jim at IOTA suggested working with Master Tech to get the correct components to fix it right. I spoke to them and they were very knowledgeable and said if I have install questions, issues or problems they are an “immediate” phone call away. I have ordered the IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 as I was planning and a 30A ATS PD5110610V from Progressive Dynamics to replace the apparent failing ATS301 from Parallax. The comment from Master Tech was the ATS301 used "box relays" not an actual contactor and he felt it was of much lesser quality/robustness than the Progressive Dynamics. More interesting was that the shore power goes directly through the normally closed contacts on the ATS301. In order for it to fail the contacts would need to "burn up". That is why mine would work on the generator input as it was going on the normally open set of contacts.

So this will maintain the correct system ratings with significantly higher quality components. Like it should have in the first place. I am still researching which upgrade Air Conditioner unit to put in it.

I will do the work myself next weekend.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 is the converter we will also get if/when we start to have trouble with the original Paralax...it's kind of like waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's a far better converter and it is a great 3-stage charger that deep cycle Lifeline batteries like... From what I understand it's a fairly straightforward replacement. Good luck. Please post your experience doing the work yourself...and good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Not envious anymore!

Hi, having an Airstream travel trailer and a Yamaha 2400 portable generator, I was envious of the newer trailers with the generator plug on the front of the trailer, but not now. I will just run my existing shore power cord from the rear to where ever I decide to put my generator.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, having an Airstream travel trailer and a Yamaha 2400 portable generator, I was envious of the newer trailers with the generator plug on the front of the trailer, but not now. I will just run my existing shore power cord from the rear to where ever I decide to put my generator.
I was envious too, and did enjoy it for a while as I have a couple of Hondas that I like to keep in the bed of the truck while we're traveling. I now have the ATS by-passed and hooked to the "generator plug" on the front because the white wire on the main plug has no conductivity (must be a loose connection). This is in addition to the failed ATS along with a host of other problems we have had including complete failure of the Dometic heat pump. It had to be replaced after our first outing.

I'm really not ready to swear off on Airstream or anything. In fact, we love this trailer. It's our fourth one and our favorite by far. I'm planning a trip later this summer to Jackson Center to have them correct the ATS and other warranty issues. I certainly hope that they find a fix before I go. I'm seriously considering the Iota/Progressive Dynamics upgrade.
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Worth a try...

Stan,

Consider approaching JC with a component up-grade. If you supply the parts they may be willing to put the labor under your warranty.

It's worth a try....especially with all the chatter here on the ATS/Converter problems.

Keep us posted...we may be making some progress, lets hope so.

"Airstream....kicking & screaming into the new millennium."

Bob
Old 07-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

[QUOTE=StanandLynn;1170429]This is in addition to the failed ATS along with a host of other problems we have had including complete failure of the Dometic heat pump. It had to be replaced after our first outing./QUOTE]

I have a dead ATS and a defective non-cooling when it is hot Dometic H/P same as you, Don and others here. Given how small the sampling group is on this forum this is a very high statistical failure rate. What a shame!!!!

I do not have the forum expertise but it might be time to start a 2012 issues poll where everyone can list their problems. Perhaps if we approach the factory as a whole we can effect some engineering changes. This is to the point that I am really getting despondent about the whole thing. Why fight when I can just spend the money and take the time to correct all the issues myself, because perhaps A/S is counting on just that. This could only be perpetrated on consumers with a product as iconic as the Airstream. Once you dream it and put big money down for it you just live with it. I am also considering finding some of the other general R/V, Travel Trailer and consumer forums to warn others about the issues. I too love the trailer as it has been a dream long coming to own a new one and this is what I get a nightmare of poor quality that is apparently designed into the product from poor decisions/cost cutting at the factory. DID I SAY WHAT A SHAME!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Is there a connection between overloading the switch and the hp failures?Overlading a possibly inadequate switch and a possible resulting low voltage to the hp. Yea I know it is all AS fault. Go for it with your arguments. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Is there a connection between overloading the switch and the hp failures?Overlading a possibly inadequate switch and a possible resulting low voltage to the hp. Yea I know it is all AS fault. Go for it with your arguments. Jim
My A/C failed (wont cool when say above 80 outside) prior to my issue with the ATS. When the ATS fails it opens the circuit just like tripping a breaker. So I think it would be the same. Is it good to have power fail when the AC is running no, but it happens from time to time with bad shore power.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
My A/C failed (wont cool when say above 80 outside) prior to my issue with the ATS. When the ATS fails it opens the circuit just like tripping a breaker. So I think it would be the same. Is it good to have power fail when the AC is running no, but it happens from time to time with bad shore power.
My AC also went out months prior to the ATS failure.

Quote:
I do not have the forum expertise but it might be time to start a 2012 issues poll where everyone can list their problems. Perhaps if we approach the factory as a whole we can effect some engineering changes. This is to the point that I am really getting despondent about the whole thing. Why fight when I can just spend the money and take the time to correct all the issues myself, because perhaps A/S is counting on just that. This could only be perpetrated on consumers with a product as iconic as the Airstream. Once you dream it and put big money down for it you just live with it. I am also considering finding some of the other general R/V, Travel Trailer and consumer forums to warn others about the issues. I too love the trailer as it has been a dream long coming to own a new one and this is what I get a nightmare of poor quality that is apparently designed into the product from poor decisions/cost cutting at the factory. DID I SAY WHAT A SHAME!!!
I'm with you.
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
Hi Don,

There is no way I will take the trailer back out not knowing for sure that it will not fail again, not even if I had new free replacement parts on hand. NO WAY! I did not buy it to fear failures/reliability quite the opposite I thought it was the best in both categories.

..... Too bad the mystique and dreams got in the way of reality and due diligence before I made the purchase.
Don't give up too soon over discouragement ... when we did, it cost us over $12K loss on an SOB just 5 month old. Sometimes patience is your friend. That's why you bought a new AS with a WARRANTY - make them produce for you.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Not sure if this will help but recently when I let my son used the AS at Assateague he had problems with the AC. Living close by I was able to go out and check the system to include insuring there was fuel in both Hondas. But I also checked the CCC to include the program settings. I reset them back to zero and the AC along with all of the other appliances ran fine the next five days.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

I have replaced the Parallax ATS switch with the new PD5110610V and also replaced the cheap single stage Parallax controller with a new DLS55MW/IQ4 and all is now good. $67 for the ATS and $157 for the new controller.

I took the relay apart on the Parallax ATS switch and you can clearly see where the normally closed contact was burned in 2 spots. Mine failed twice before I headed home. The new ATS uses a heavy duty contactor with a potted control circuit not a cheap relay/circuit board.

SHAME ON AIRSTREAM!!!

Two more items now completed on my re-engineer/rebuild list for my new 2012 Airstream.

Soon I’ll have a real Airstream made with quality parts.

I know, I am sorry for my demeanor but after working for 4 hours to replace absolutely bottom of the line cheap-ass components used in a 60K premium product my ire is back up. It just makes me want to scream!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	163318   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	163319  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	163320  
Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Nice job Collimare. After the last two weeks home I'm heading northwest on a long trip. Will be stopping in the Dallas area to hook up with a new converter (3rd). We'll see. Whatever happens I'm going to follow your lead and harden my system, either with a manual switch, or a replacement like yours. So far, Airstream has been great in their help. Rumor is that it is cooler in Montana than Baton Rouge. Giddyup!
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote