Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
2007 w/ no 110 in some....

Electricity has always been a huge mystery to me. We have a brand new International which we've taken out seven times this summer - no problems at all. Last week when we arrived at the state park, plugged in and there was no power at two of the outlets over the stove, nor did our television work. I plugged the television into an extension cord from another outlet and it worked fine. The exterior outlet also had no power. The one just inside the door worked when we first arrived but later had no power. So strange! The one under the dinette was working so I had a couple of extension cords running around the TT so we didn't have to cancel our weekend. But, what is going on???

Breakers were flipped off then on with no change. After checking the breakers, my experience with and knowledge of electricity was completed.

We took delivery Feb. 29th and have stayed on it less than 20 nights thus far. To date, no problems. THe dealership where we purchased it is going out of the AS business and could only recommend we take it to Jackson Center. I hate doing that at this point as we are preparing for a ten night trip to historic Virginia very soon.

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be??
Prodigy brake control
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Does your trailer have GFCI outlets anywhere? One of them may have tripped, and it usually shuts everything on that line off.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
Electricity has always been a huge mystery to me. We have a brand new International which we've taken out seven times this summer - no problems at all. Last week when we arrived at the state park, plugged in and there was no power at two of the outlets over the stove, nor did our television work. I plugged the television into an extension cord from another outlet and it worked fine. The exterior outlet also had no power. The one just inside the door worked when we first arrived but later had no power. So strange! The one under the dinette was working so I had a couple of extension cords running around the TT so we didn't have to cancel our weekend. But, what is going on???

Breakers were flipped off then on with no change. After checking the breakers, my experience with and knowledge of electricity was completed.

We took delivery Feb. 29th and have stayed on it less than 20 nights thus far. To date, no problems. THe dealership where we purchased it is going out of the AS business and could only recommend we take it to Jackson Center. I hate doing that at this point as we are preparing for a ten night trip to historic Virginia very soon.

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be??
Prodigy brake control
You may have a bad breaker. Several outlets are on the same circuit.
If it was the kitchen and outside they are on a GFCI.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Look at the outlets in question. Does one of them have 2 buttons between the 2 outlets. If so that is the GFI and it has most likely tripped. One of the buttons will likely have Test written on it and the other Reset. Press the reset button you should feel the button lock in. If so things should be OK. If the button pops out as fast as you push it in there is a problem on that circuit. Unplug everything plugged into the effected receptacles and try again. If the GFI still trips replace the receptacle. If it holds with everything unplugged one of the appliances is drawing ground current and needs attention.

This problem will most likely be an appliance that has a capacitor on the AC line before the transformer. If this is the case plug that appliance into a none GFI plug as this is an inherent problem with GFI circuits. GFIs were never intended to be the cure all that the Do Gooders would like them to be.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
...Breakers were flipped off then on with no change.
After checking the breakers, my experience with and knowledge of electricity was completed...
hi pilgrim...

i c we r graduates of the same electrical program...

based on the outlets u report not working, howieE has the issue tabbed.

look closely at the one breaker on the far right (i think)...

it will have a reset button. it looks ON even when OFF till u push the reset.

the one with the reset embedded in the on/off toggle IS the gfci breaker.

sometimes wearing reading glasses when looking at these breakers helps....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Yup, it sure sounds like a 110 volt breaker.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
Thanks to all!!! To HowieE, you had it nailed BUT they no longer have the buttons on the outlets. I recall when we had those outlets in our bathrooms - but now the GFCI breaker is in the breaker box with the others. (2air had it absolutely right). I had tried to do something with that breaker but nothing happened. It has to be turned off, reset, then turned on. I hit the reset button, then turned it off then on - didn't work. This morning, after the suggestions yesterday, I tried and discovered how to get it back into operation all by myself. The best part was telling the mechanics to destroy the work order - I had fixed it! Again, THANKS to all for the assistance. I don't care what my SOB owning neighbor says about AS owners, you folks are knowledgeable and terrific.
Prodigy brake control
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Congrats...glad you got it fixed...but now that you have our interest peaked...

What did the SOB owner say about us kooky people???

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
sounds like a bad breaker to me. or maybe the plugs are hooked so one plug pulls threw the previouse plug in that line??
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
Angry

[Never mind............