Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
$2000 upgrade

The batteries in my 2016 International 27FB have reached the end of their useful life. I need to buy new ones and would like to take this opportunity to lessen my dependance on camping site with electrical hook up. Presently we mainly use the batteries when we have to stop for the night in Walmart parking lot on long travel days but we would like to be able to camp 3-4 nights without hookup.

Since the water heater, the stove and the fridge all run on propane I mainly need electricity to run my Cpap.

I know a generator would solve my problem but running it all night and annoy everyone with the noise is not an option.

I have a budget of around $2000 and would like to know how this money could be best spent to achieve my goal. AGM or lithium batteries, portable solar power or even lithium battery pack specially made to be used for cpap could all be options I would consider. I can certainly live a few days without microwave and television but I would like to be able to power my Cpap for 3-4 nights
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
IMHO, you have already clarified and minimized your real need. A portable Li pack for your CPAP is the most cost effective solution. Lot's of those available, just look at your CPAP ratings, calculate how many days at how many amps and you'll have the amp hours you will need. When you browse Amazon or other sites, give yourself at least a 20% margin in the amp-hour rating of the pack.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post
I mainly need electricity to run my Cpap.

I have a budget of around $2000 and would like to know how this money could be best spent to achieve my goal. AGM or lithium batteries, portable solar power or even lithium battery pack specially made to be used for cpap could all be options I would consider. I can certainly live a few days without microwave and television but I would like to be able to power my Cpap for 3-4 nights
I have 300Ah LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery bank under the bed in my little vintage airframe trailer. But I also carry a couple fully charged 55Ah "baby" Lithiums, each of which will easily power my CPAP (without humidifier!) all night and then some. I gotta have backup. Maybe I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy or maybe it's because of the painful memory boon docking in the Pacific Northwest forest with heavy overcast skies and inadequate solar exposure to charge my battery bank that motivates "back-up."

If all you really want is a battery bank for your CPAP, spending $2K seems excessive, but if you can handle the cost, such a Lithium battery bank will more than handle your CPAP for 3-4 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airlight 12VDC underbed.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	379751  
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Thanks. So I will probably replace my flooded batteries with AGM and buy a lithium battery back up for my Cpap and still be under budget. Do you bring sufficient battery pack for the length of your stay or is there a way to charge them with a portable solar panel while you are camping.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
There may be an option to get more than your looking for for less cost. It's been touched on, but I highly recommend adding a portable lithium pack as a secondary power bank for your CPAP and perhaps other luxury uses. Replace your current house batteries with whatever you like, either AGMs, or just stand flooded batts.

In this way, your not necessarily just replacing capacity you have, but expanding the capacity for your mixed uses.

I have a 27FB, and with my 6V flooded leaded batts ("house batts" - 200Ah), and additional portable lithium battery ("accessories batt" - 100Ah), I've been able to achieve more functionality than the typical for blown retrofit for far less.

There's ways to integrate the system too, such that both my house and accessory battery banks can both charge from my rooftop solar, car, and/or converter.

The link is in my sig, but I'll put here too:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...um-196422.html
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Thank you. I will read that thread. It looks like a great solution for my specific problem
Old 09-30-2020, 08:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Lion is the way to go
We used battleborn batteries now for 3 years and are very happy
Plus we replaced the converter with a victron converter/inverter
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post
Thanks. So I will probably replace my flooded batteries with AGM and buy a lithium battery back up for my Cpap and still be under budget. Do you bring sufficient battery pack for the length of your stay or is there a way to charge them with a portable solar panel while you are camping.
I have 200w of photovoltaic on the roof of my 15' trailer; the real estate is limited up there or I'd have more solar panels. I also pack a small "suitcase" panel for charging a small (55Ah) lithium housed with a little inverter (120VAC output) USB, 12VDC in and output, etc. Even though I generally don't need/use it, when I am in the woods, finding a patch of sunlight with the portable panel is an option I like.

I also have a 1K inverter/generator converted to run on propane. Gasoline inverters need to be run regularly to keep the carburetor from getting gummed up. The propane-run inverter will start and operate easily even after 8 months on the shelf. Running it for a a few hours in a campsite during the day will return a decent charge to my battery bank. (Small trailer, small generator...)
The advantage of rooftop solar is one can be charging the battery bank while underway, which is usually during prime solar hours. Also, those panels stay put, don't "grow feet" and wander off while you're down by the water or out on a hike.
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote