Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
1962 electrical help

I just purchased a 1962 Globetrotter and I can't see how the 12 volt system recharges the battery. It looks like only way to charge the battery is to hook up to the tow vehicle. I can't find a Univolt or converter anywhere. How does it charge when it's plugged in? Or does it. There aren't any wires going to the battery other than the Blue wire coming from the trailer plug in cord. (Alternator) Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1962 electrical help

Greetings Brad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjun1
I just purchased a 1962 Globetrotter and I can't see how the 12 volt system recharges the battery. It looks like only way to charge the battery is to hook up to the tow vehicle. I can't find a Univolt or converter anywhere. How does it charge when it's plugged in? Or does it. There aren't any wires going to the battery other than the Blue wire coming from the trailer plug in cord. (Alternator) Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Brad
Unless the coach has been modified, the only source for battery charging on pre-1964 coaches was the tow vehicle. The Univolt did not become a standard feature until 1964. I know of at least one pre-64 owner who carries a "battery minder" battery charger (one designed to maintain charge on stored collector cars) and connects this to the front under-window mounted battery whenever shore power is available; I am also aware of another owner who has adapted one of the modern, electronic power converters.

Good luck with your '62!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Kevin,
Thank you very much for you quick response. I think I might try a electronic converter. I put an Intellipower in our 74 Tradewind and we really like it. I guess in 1962 things were much simpler. Thanks for the help. Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 AM   #4
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
Got the same thing happenin'

Brad & Kevin,

Just noticed your post about a similar issue I have with my Tradewind & posted a thread about it too. How can I be sure it charges when hooked to the tow vehicle? Is there some sort of multimeter connection / test I can do?
I'm thinking of going solar with this since the tube sits in a nice & sunny driveway.

Henry
henrydahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrydahm
Brad & Kevin,

Just noticed your post about a similar issue I have with my Tradewind & posted a thread about it too. How can I be sure it charges when hooked to the tow vehicle? Is there some sort of multimeter connection / test I can do?
I'm thinking of going solar with this since the tube sits in a nice & sunny driveway.

Henry
You should be able to put a volt meter across the battery and see the voltage increase when the TV is running. BTW, on certain TVs (like my Tundra) the power to the TT is not on unless the key is on in the TV.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello ,
On the older trailers ,make sure the tv 12 volt battery source is from a key on switched solenoid ,(cole hersey) the brand ,a continuouse duty solenoid ,
for this type of application .That way when the tv is running power is charging the coach battery ,but tv key off the batteries do not drain the tv battery .This will apply to newer coaches also and you get the maximum
voltage from the alternator to the coach battery.Do not use the blue isolators ,they take away 1 full volt to operate ,meaning you get 13.50
volts instead of 14.50 or so ,big difference.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:50 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
I am also aware of another owner who has adapted one of the modern, electronic power converters.

Good luck with your '62!

Kevin
I am another one, we now have a factory converter and fuse panel from an '06 coach. I mounted ours under the kitchen counter, near the battery box, to keep the charge wires as short as possible.

Tags