Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2009, 04:22 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
Dave,

You say these old converters are "a power supply". But are they not also a battery recharger? And if it's a battery recharger, when I pull it out, can I recycle this noisy unit as a bench batter recharger? But if I can, is it only a deep-cycle battery recharger? Or is it a deep-cycle at all? But doesn't the trailer want a deep-cycle battery instead of a car battery? (I bought a new deep-cycle battery. Certainly, this was the correct buy, yes?) So many questions.

I know banjos...

crow
page.crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Deep Cycle yes. Auto battery charger will work but is a chewing gum fix kind of like using rubber bands for banjo strings.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by page.crow View Post
Dave,

You say these old converters are "a power supply". But are they not also a battery recharger? And if it's a battery recharger, when I pull it out, can I recycle this noisy unit as a bench batter recharger? But if I can, is it only a deep-cycle battery recharger? Or is it a deep-cycle at all? But doesn't the trailer want a deep-cycle battery instead of a car battery? (I bought a new deep-cycle battery. Certainly, this was the correct buy, yes?) So many questions.

I know banjos...

crow
The type of battery you use depends on the type of camping you are going to do. If you just go to campgrounds with electric hookups a car battery will do just fine. If you dry camp you will want a deep cycle since the battery will be your only source. When plugged into 120 volts the battery is just a smoothing device to provide a constant 12 volt supply as the load varies in the trailer depending on the number of lights you are using.

The newer converters generally have 3 levels of charging capacity built in. A faster charge for initial charging, a medium charging for normal operation while using some lighting in the trailer and a very low current charging to carry the battery once fully charge and at rest. The older types just had one level of charge and often boiled the water out of the battery if left on for prolong periods without a draw on the battery.

Yes you could use the old charger as a bench charger in the garage but a cheap one from Sears would work just as well and has some overcharging features built in.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Quote:
Dave,

I know banjos...

crow
Yeh, they are sort of 2/3 of a DC power supply, with the filtering inside the battery. I agree with Howie, I would not use it as a bench charger. The cheapest battery charger at Wally world is a lot better than one of these at protecting your battery from overcharging. It is much better to use it to prevent your boat from floating away......

Your new converter should have similar "smarts" to keep your battery happy.

For boondocking, where you do not have an electrical hookup, a deep cycle will work best in your trailer. They are meant to be slowly drained most of the way and then recharged. The battery in your car puts out lots of amps when starting, but expects to be recharged immediately by the alternator. It all has to do with the geometry of the parts inside.

It sounds like you have become intimate with the wiring of this trailer. At least you know that you can fix anything when you are done. Good Luck!
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Thanks for asking about pictures. I'll do that when I get it finished, which is soon.
If you wait, you will miss out on half the fun (and, more importantly, so will we!). How will you, us, or anyone know how much work you have done if you can't do a before/after show?

Just a suggestion.. ::nudge nudge, wink wink::
Old 04-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
OK. <grinning> You all got me laughing now. Before and after pics, huh? <grinning>

Alrighty now...I just recieved that converter from www.bestconverter.com. That was quick. The total price was $257.00 at my door for their high-power unit. (Was that 80 amps?)

The install is about as simple as installing a battery. A couple lines attached to the + and - screw-downs and here we go. How simple. How quiet. Oh wait... I didn't plug it in yet. <grinning> That was dang quiet. Works good. Very easy. Anyone could do this install.

Next I gotta cut the hole for the fantastic vent. I am choosing to install the vent in the light fixture overhead in the bedroom area of my 31 footer. Every other overhead light is quite necessary. (the living room area, the kitchen area, the bathroom area) I had to choose. That light spot is the only one that didn't have a hole cut in the roof.

I just got the tint on the windows. Wow.

It's coming together. And I have my camp banjo tucked away in the trailer to terrorize anyone coming near.

Best to all.

page crow
Old 05-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Howdy Folks:

OK...I've got that Best converter installed. Piece of cake to install. Really. ANYBODY could put this thing in their trailer. Very cool. It's whisper quiet.

Much thanks to everyone for their help.

page crow ... on the banjo...

Tags
12v, battery charger, transformer