Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
120v Receptacle Pull Out of Kitchen Cabinet

I was vacuuming my AS out the other day, connected to the 120v receptacle next to my entrance door. When I pulled the cord out the receptacle pulled out. This is an all in one design, no box mounted in the inside of the kitchen cabinet, manufactured by Wirecon. The plastic lugs that swing out to grab on inside of the cabinet when tightening the screws had broken.

Three Romex wires go into the Wirecon receptacle. I knew getting a new Wirecon would probably be a hard swap out trying to connect the three wires as they are pressed onto the contacts. Then you snap on the back casing.

Instead I went to the hardware store and bought a plastic drywall box with the swing out lugs. My plan was to remove the screws and lugs and use the lugs on the Wirecon. Unfortunately the white screws on the Wirecon are thicker and would damage the plastic lugs from the dry wall box. I decided to use the silver screws from the dry wall box. I had some white spray paint so painted the screws and after they dried used the plastic lugs on the Wirecon receptacle. The lugs had to be trimmed a little shorter but they worked. The painted screw heads are a slightly different design but not noticeably different.

Kelvin
Old 07-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Excellent example of adapt and overcome. Good job.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Right, Michael... great adapt and overcome...
I have similar on my WH switch... the plastic lug broke.. on one side... need to try your fix!! Thanks for sharing!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Sometimes those Wirecon things can be a real pain.....but they are cheap and quick for the production line.
Thanks for the tip on the way you solved your problem...

Good job!

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote