Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Carver , Massachusetts
120 volt outlets from battery power?

I have a 2010 22' sport trailer that I have been enjoying for the past year. Now that my 2 year old is convinced that there are monsters in the trailer, she needs a nightlight on to sleep. I discovered this past weekend that the outlet in the kitchen gets no power from batteries. I expected that there would be an inverter to allow me to run the outlets from the batteries, assuming I have enough power left to run whatever I'm trying to. Was this assumption incorrect, or do I need to flip a switch somewhere or something like that?

Thanks.

Eric
etobolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Inverters are an option. If all you need is a nightlight, use an LED light it will be much more efficient.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums. Did your trailer come with an inverter? If not, no 120 volt outlets are powered when not plugged in to shore power. Probably your best bet would be to find a single bulb light and replace it with a small LED. Use that as a night light, as they don't burn a lot of power. One would burn much less than a tenth the power of a single bulb, cost less than an inverter, and draw MUCH less power than an inverter.
Probably the single fixture with two bulbs in the bathroom would be a good candidate. You'd need two LEDs, but you could swing the bathroom door mostly closed so you can sleep, and the youngster can see there are no monsters.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Another vote for an LED solution. I have a couple of over head cabinet lights that have low intensity LED's in them. The indirect glow is perfect for my two sleeping children and has a negligible draw on the battery.

Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Welcome to the Forums, Eric. I hope you will find much information here that will enhance your Airstreaming experience.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt