Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
12 volt power

My battery went dead on my 64 Trade Wind while camping this week end. I have a new converter and new battery. The engineer camping next to our site checked the converter and battery and said both appeared to be ok and there appeared to be through put between the two. I put a charger on the battery and the battery took the charge and I finished out the weekend. This spring I had a new air conditioner and Magic Fan installed so that is the only thing that had changed in the electrical system since the converter and battery were installed in February. Both of which worked fine in Mar and Apr. The MFan is installed improperly so the light switch must be on for it to work (to be fixed). I did play a lot with both MFan and air prior to the battery going down. The engineer thought the problem might be in the distribution box (it is the original) but isn't that on the down side of the converter and battery? There must be breakers inside the distribution box but you have to take the box off to get at them so I have not checked that yet. Any ideas why the battery ran down?
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If the battery charged with an external charger, and yet ran down when it was connected to grid power, something is wrong with the new converter/charger, or the way it is hooked up.

Measure the voltage across the battery when the rig is not plugged into grid power. It should be in the range of 12.6 volts for a fully charged battery. Plug the rig into 120 volt power. The voltage across the battery should go up to about 13.6 volts. If not, further checking is in order.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
Thanks I will check today. Although this what the engineer checked over the weekend when he said the battery and converter were good. I did not see the meter reading myself and will double check.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt