Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2004, 06:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Talking Can't let this slip by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Al Gore's internet.

Best of luck. Don't worry, be happy. Dive right in, the water's fine!

Roger
"Al Gore's internet"? Yes, I know I am repeating myself. You don't really believe that do you?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:06 AM   #22
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
"Al Gore's internet"? Yes, I know I am repeating myself. You don't really believe that do you?
Why of COURSE I believe it! Doesn't EVERYONE? Al said it and I believe it. And that's THAT!

I wondered if anyone would catch that. It was said (written?) with tongue FIRMLY planted in cheek.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
You Guys Scare me!
Good...little fear is not always a bad thing. It makes you attentive. When you have no fear is when you end up not being prepared and having a BIG problem that is out of your control.

Bottom line is prepare for the worst and thats where most of these posts come from. The members on this site error heavily on the side of caution and do everything they can to prevent exactly the things you noted scare you.

Good hitch set up, education on how to use the equipment and a good head on your shoulders that pays attention to whats going on and you will be fine.

My club teaches a four wheel drive "Back Country awarness class" in conjunction with Land Rover. One of the things we teach is learning where your vehicle is in relation to your suroundings. Litterly stopping on a dime is one thing we have students do. We make them put each wheel on a dime. The object of the lesson is to learn where the vehicle is in relations to objects that once they get too close you can't see. Off roading is all about tire placement.

My recomendation is go find a big open parking lot and throw some cones out and practice manuvering the rig around and getting a feel for how it is going to react to different driver input. Basicly practice where your not in danger of damaging your truck and Airstream or others cars.

Big thing to do is if you have somebody that will be traveling with you and "spotting" when your parking...train them as well on how to signal you and where to be. They need to learn to make sure that they are where you can see them and you need to agree on how signal each other and practice it.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Why of COURSE I believe it! Doesn't EVERYONE? Al said it and I believe it. And that's THAT!

I wondered if anyone would catch that. It was said (written?) with tongue FIRMLY planted in cheek.

Roger
<------- wondering what Al has that I don't have. Can't seem to get people to believe everything I say.

I wonder what brand of shoes he wears and/or cereal he eats. Maybe that's it.

I have been a VP and I was "almost President". Just like Al, I lost in the courts and my wife was given the office of President. I still can't understand how hanging chads could have caused me to lose a two-person race with only two voters. Sheesh. The wonders of marriage.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:28 AM   #25
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Annette,

We certainly felt the same way as you do when we started. I didn't know the first thing about towing and maintaining our trailer. I found the forum a great source of information and with some good planning we have had a great experience so far. As we have found the most important thing is to get out there and use your trailer. Our first trip was a few days the next longer and shortly after we did a 3000 mile trip. Believe me after that many miles you learn pretty quickly how your trailer behaves. If I can pass on any advice as to what I have learned thus far is to drive slowly and enjoy the journey.

Have Fun !
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:21 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Wow! What great replies. Thanks to all of you. I'll respond to specific posts as the day progresses....as soon as I have my coffee and start my "work" day (hehe).
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:07 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

I'm encouraged, ready to go!

I never ever could've bought my A/S without reading through ALL the threads on this forum. So when I did buy it, I felt like I made a good choice, and that I was a pretty well-informed consumer. (BTW, how in the world can you tell that a trailer needs new axles from a tiny photo? Some kind of weird airstream voodoo thing, I think.) I'm lucky that I have the PO, and that the trailer has all new appliances, so I don't expect any major system failures.

Hey Tom (tcwilliams)...Update me on your maiden voyage in your Overlander. Can't wait to hear about it.

Roger (85MH325)...I know you have the PERFECT tow vehicle. Believe me, I've seen your posts.

Johnhd...I watch every episode of the Simple Life just to watch Paris tow the A/S. I feel encouraged each and every time. (But I bet they don't empty their black tanks...or even string their patio lights.)

Roger (59toaster)...A friend and I plan on taking the A/S to an empty lot - probably in the industrial area - and practice backing up with cones, etc. But in general, I will be traveling alone and will probably have to take advantage of other nice trailer people to use as "spotters".

OK, so I'm feeling less fearful. Maybe I'll go buy that tow vehicle during my lunch hour...As soon as I sell the house and head cross country (maybe October?), I'll let y'all know so you can watch out for me on the road.
1997 E350
Old 08-04-2004, 11:17 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
my two words

here's my two words - preventative maintenance. We've towed our 62 Overlander 12,000 miles in the last eighteen months (just got back from the Rocky Mtn VAC rally ) and the only problem we have encountered is a faulty water heater thermostat (should have caught that one). Inspite of the troubles now and then it is definately worth it.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:24 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
here's my two words - preventative maintenance. We've towed our 62 Overlander 12,000 miles in the last eighteen months (just got back from the Rocky Mtn VAC rally ) and the only problem we have encountered is a faulty water heater thermostat (should have caught that one). Inspite of the troubles now and then it is definately worth it.
Hey 62 Overlander...speaking of the Rocky Mtn VAC, were Ron and Tony (Tin Can Luv) there? I can't seem to find an update on their trailer delivery to Las Vegas.
1997 E350
Old 08-04-2004, 11:39 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
Paradise , Texas
Smile

I'm not sure - I didn't get meet everyone. What is their trailer. I'm better at recalling trailers than names. It was great - Airstreams everywhere.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Old 08-04-2004, 11:42 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
I'm not sure - I didn't get meet everyone. What is their trailer. I'm better at recalling trailers than names. It was great - Airstreams everywhere.
Actually, they were trailer-less. I guess I'll have to search around and see if I can find an update.

Can't wait to attend my first rally!
1997 E350
Old 08-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
Paradise , Texas
Thumbs up

This was our first rally and it was more fun than I would have ever thought. Met lots of great people afflicted with the same aluminum induced disease and came back with the attitude that there is nothing shameful about owning more than one Airstream. The Colorado rockies made the perfect backdrop and the weather was a perfect getaway from Texas. I'll definately be at next years rally.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Old 08-04-2004, 01:10 PM   #33
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Like a lot of people here, I purchased my trailer and worked on it off and on for a year before our maiden voyage.

We went for a full hookup place and did not know what to expect. We had never owned a trailer before. The campgrounds bathroom was broken the entire time and we ended having to shower and everything in our trailer.

Turned out to be a good thing because now we do the exclusivly because its a lot easier and cleaner.

Another problem we had was the water heater. It kept cycling on and off but never heated the water. We had to microwave bath water for the baby. That's right we did our fist trip with our 5 month old!

We must have liked it because we have been going ever since and learn more each time.

As far as problems, they are not limited to old airstreams. A friend of mine has a $70,000 desiel pusher and has to constantly fix things. He was using it the other week and had water dripping down on him from the AC.

As they say, just do it and ask questions here. You'll be a rivet master in no time.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:20 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Annette,
Since you already have lots of advice I won't offer any. Just a word of encouragment. Our trailer did not move for the first 10 months we had it! I had to consult the forum daily on any variety of things. I was so afraid to drive the thing - but by the time I did I could recite a list of every possible complication and 3 ways to avoid each. If you're worried you're smart enough to figure it out. Have a good time-we do now that we've finally left the driveway!!

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuber
...If you're worried you're smart enough to figure it out.

Heidi
Excellent, Most excellant dude ! Actually that is an insightful statement. We have a member of our unit that lives (& often fails) on the euphemism: "ignorance is bliss"!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:56 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
annette,
Go for it, you will love the life. I bought my 28' 1995 Excella in December and my tow vehicle in February. Never towed a thing until I hooked Mariposa to my Suburban and headed to the nearest RV park to play house. The good people around me helped me when they could see I was standing there in a quandry. I learned all about what to do when you first pull into a camp ground. I learned WHAT NOT TO DO first also. Lots of laughter and questions but I survived.

Just got back from a 3 week trip to Colorado, over Monarch Pass. Loved every minute of it. Had car problem, made it into an RV park, car towed to nearest town and the people in the RV spot next to me invited me over for a drink. Thought I needed one, they were so right.

I am 68 years old and have not looked back at all. This is a new road for me and I am so glad I took it. So much help on this forum. I am a loner and loving it. If I can do it anyone can. I will go fulltime at the end of the year and can't wait.

tnsue
tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:31 PM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
OK, so that's the second "dive in" advice. Did I mention that I can't swim?
Free swimming lessons available here on the Forums daily.
Terry
Old 08-05-2004, 09:45 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Smile Guess what....!

We've had our 2003 Bambi for 3 summers now, and we haven't killed anyone yet! And believe me, that's saying something, since our ignorant dealer didn't tell us we needed a brake controller, sway bar and weight distribution hitch! We were sailing along in Canada in a storm and were lucky not to hit the car in front of us when it came to an abrupt halt.

Reading all these "issues" is scary, but it puts enough caution in you to ensure you at least do the things you need to do to be safe. That's the most important thing. The real encouragement lies in the fact that, when you camp with other folks (AS or otherwise) you'll find out there's hardly a stupid mistake you can make that someone else hasn't already made! Just listen to their advice, take what you want from it, and enjoy your camper! Once you've camped a few times, you'll get the hang of it...i.e., once you've had to take a cold shower, you'll remember to turn the hot water heater on while you're setting up .

Cherie
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:46 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

You guys are awesome!

Hey tnsue, I'm going full-time too (solo), as soon as my house sells (although I will have to keep working - unless I win the lottery ). So keep in touch. Do you have a plan as to where you are heading? I take a lot of encouragement from your story, thanks.

And Kentucky Girl, what a stupid dealer indeed. I've been a member of this forum for about a year - the smartest thing I've ever done.

Argosy20 - where do I sign up for the swimming lessons?
1997 E350
Old 08-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No...not exactly.

Quote:
...speaking of the Rocky Mtn VAC, were Ron and Tony (Tin Can Luv) there? I can't seem to find an update on their trailer delivery to Las Vegas.
Quote:
Actually, they were trailer-less. I guess I'll have to search around and see if I can find an update.
Tony & Ron did show-up at the rally, I think on Sunday...with the trailer, but that's their story to tell.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote