Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #1

Madbury , New Hampshire
Yet another newb

Hello all! I'm very pleased that I found the forums - of course now I have hours of reading in front of me... I'm seriously considering going full-time in a year or two. My dream is to get hold of an Airstream in the 25' - 27' range, customize the living daylights out of the interior and head out. Why do work on the interior? First off, there will be 2-4 dogs coming along with me (German Shorthairs and Wirehaired Dachshunds) along with a hawk or 2 and/or a falcon or 2 (I'm a falconer) and I'll need storage space for tack, fishing equipment, etc. With just 1 human in the Airstream, I figure I can trade some sleeping and eating space for dog boxes, lounging around area, etc. I also need to learn more about power options - I'd like to do some non-campground camping (boondocking? is that the word?) - and may want to add a bank of batteries. I want to network the heck out of the trailer - I'm a networking professional and fantasize that I may be able to pick up some work on the road if I stay well-connected.
I'd love some feedback/guidance - is this blue-sky idiocy or something that I can really (with effort) pull off? Are there threads I should read immediately? Best to all - let the research begin!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Hi John, and welcome to the forums. Sounds like an interesting plan! Good luck on your search for the perfect airstream. There are tons of threads in the forums about buying trailers and picking models. There is also good information about what you should expect to pay or the various models and years. Once you have found yours, there are even more threads about how to do just about every modification or repair possible. And when the issue of what to tow with and weight distribution systems comes up, again lots of information is to be had. Looking for fun places to travel....well you get the idea. Keep us posted on your progress.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, John. We're glad to have you with us.

The Dogs are pretty routine Airstream fare, but the birds are a little different. I think that you can pull off your dream with an Airstream. You don't mention whether you have an interest in a vintage or late model Airstream. In either case examine the various floor plans to decide which plan would be the most suitable or redoable to meet the needs of your traveling group. Also plan your tow vehicle with these needs in mind.

As far as the extensive boondocking is concerned, take a look at the prior posts relative to solar panels and quiet generators. These will give you information on keeping your batteries charged. There are also posts on water supplies and holding tanks. This information is also important when boondocking. You can find these posts by using the search function on the top blue tool bar on the portal page.

Good luck in your quest. I am looking forward to meeting you and your friends on the road.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
_

. , .
hi john and welcome to the forums....

much to read and consider here.

find the a/s you like,

and then get a suitable horse to pull it.

with so many critters on board, pay close attention to air conditioning.

you might want to include backups and fail safes,

should the cooling/ventilation system or power supply quit while away...

i've met some bird carrying campers...

seems bird hauling is more restricted than produce,

no doubt you are up on this, or learning the guidelines...

which states to be avoided for your feathered friends?

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #5

Madbury , New Hampshire
To answer some of the questions:
- I'm not particular about age - given that I'dlike to modify the interior, I'd hate to mess up some nice old potential restoration job - on the other hand, a new one may be too nice inside! I'm planning on looking at a 1975 27' Airstream soon (this weekend?) - just getting my feet wet.
- As far as legalities with the birds - I'll need a health certificate, but since they are not exotic species, that and my falconry license should do it. Not sure about border crossings (Canada and Mexico) - more research needed there, and if there's a big bird flu panic/problem, I'd guess all bets will be off.
- I'll be researching tow vehicles too. My dream TV would be a Unimog - not too practical though. Probably a 4wd PU - I put approx 350K on an 85 Toyota Landcruiser (and then sold it for $4,500) and have 277K on my T100 - brand loyalty may be a problem (those new Tundras are expensive!!! and I'm debating diesel).
Thanks for the welcome - look forward to learning more - John

PS - Hawaii won't let me in w/ the hawks ;-)