Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #1

1973 31' Sovereign
Amarillo , Texas
Window problems

We just got our 73 31' Airstream last Sunday (Easter Sunday). At this point all we have had time to do is clean a little. My problem is that our windows have what I would describe as a white crusty type substance between the window units. Some are worse than others. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to separate this double window and clean the scale off without ruining it? I would love to clean all of the windows but I mainly am interested in cleaning the living area & kitchen area.

Any advise would be appreciated!! Thanks you.
Rosemary66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Rosemary-

Unsure from post whether white stuff is between panes or at bottom of window. Either way, getting into space between double pane windows is not easy... Without specifics or pictures, it's hard to diagnose here now, but several members have had to drill out rivets or remove inner glass panes to clean off tint film or corrosion.. Not a simple or easy task... Aluminum exposed to moisture and in contact with other metals or salt will corrode, and corrosion (aluminum equivalent of rust on steel) is white powdery substance, as aluminum quits being metal and returns to oxide state...

It may be worth it to try compound search using search bar above looking for double and window and repair or replace or clean...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:51 AM   #3

1973 31' Sovereign
Amarillo , Texas
Windows

Thanks John McG.
I will take some pictures to see if it will be easier to understand what our windows are like. My husband is skilled at do-it-yourself type projects at our home so I'm counting him being able to make repairs on our Airstream also. He isn't sure he want's to tackle the windows though.

I don't know if I should start a new post or just add to this one but we also need a manual for the 1973 31 ft. Airstream. He is going to have to work on the plumbing and electrical and doesn't want to start it until he has a manual. Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Rosemary
Rosemary66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Manuals

hi- you can find owners manuals, or the much more useful (for fixing stuff) service manuals on ebay, or from Secretarial Services in Sidney, Ohio, phone # 937-492-8885. Lots of info on fixing windows on this forum if you SEARCH. good luck!- tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Buy one, make a spare...

Rosemary-

The manuals are really valuable, and contain infomration unavailable elsewhere. Secretarial Services has best record of finding and delivering, if they don't have one I'd try searching profiles for other members who own same trailer here before hoping for luck on E-Bay..

Given tendency for people to leave manuals in trailer under couch or in places where it might get damp and moldy, it is real clever idea to take it to local copy shop and make a second "bonus" copy (double sided - heavy paper...) and keep that one in safe place in house just in case... Another lesson from the land of experience...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Rosemary, welcome to the forum. Helen at Secretarial Services does have the 1973 service manual. It's the same manual for all trailer types of that year. I bought one from her a year or so ago. SHe had the owner's manual for the '73 Overlander, but we didn't buy it. I'm not sure if the owners manual for that year covers all models, or if they are specific to your trailer.

Helen is a very nice lady and will help you in any way she can. That goes for the people on this forum as well. Folks here are very much willing to help.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
Thumbs up manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Rosemary-

The manuals are really valuable, and contain infomration unavailable elsewhere. Secretarial Services has best record of finding and delivering, if they don't have one I'd try searching profiles for other members who own same trailer here before hoping for luck on E-Bay..

Given tendency for people to leave manuals in trailer under couch or in places where it might get damp and moldy, it is real clever idea to take it to local copy shop and make a second "bonus" copy (double sided - heavy paper...) and keep that one in safe place in house just in case... Another lesson from the land of experience...

John McG

hey john, making that second copy is a great idea. my manual is half mildewed and rotted. i just ordered a manual for $60 right from airstream co. what is this secreterial svcs? are they cheaper? the one from airstream is a copy from the original. i will be making a copy now.

those manuals are worth their weight in gold for the do it yourselfer. from the full monte tom repackin' bearings.
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Crowbar, sounds like you got a deal. Secretarial services charged me $85. I would offer to make Rosemary a copy, but I'm afraid it wouldn't come out very well. In fact, Helen had to re-copy a couple of pages for me. It's almost like I got a copy of a copy, so to speak. Did you get a photocopy direct from Airstream Corp? How did you go about it? Who did you contact? I may want to go back and purchase the "owners" manual later. If I can save $25 on that, I'll go directly to Airstream.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Airstream Inc is doing high quality reprints of most manuals. Go to the Airstream store at www.airstream.com look under books. If you don't see the manual you need email them as they are apparently running them in small batches.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
second copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Rosemary-

John McG

i bought my manual from as store for 60 bucks and decided it was a good idea to get a second copy so if one gets ruined i would have a backup. the first one that came w/ trailor (original) is half mildewed. i went to kinkos and they quoted me $68 but because of the volume i would get a $10 discount. maybe buy 2! or copy at work.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
airstream manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Crowbar, sounds like you got a deal. Secretarial services charged me $85. I would offer to make Rosemary a copy, but I'm afraid it wouldn't come out very well. In fact, Helen had to re-copy a couple of pages for me. It's almost like I got a copy of a copy, so to speak. Did you get a photocopy direct from Airstream Corp? How did you go about it? Who did you contact? I may want to go back and purchase the "owners" manual later. If I can save $25 on that, I'll go directly to Airstream.

Thanks for the help.

Jim
didn't see your reply until now. i bought my manual right from as, online from there store. they don't have all of the years but alot of them. i'm sure they "have" all of them it's just a matter of demand. this is a very fair price. i have some oldsmobile service manuals that i have paid 2x the money for ,although original, grease stained, ripped and torn.

regards,
dan