Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Why the friction?

I'm a new member and don't wish to start an arguement for sure. From reading posts it seems some folks really like the WBCC and others prefer a group from this forum? Would some of you please help me understand what's going on. I've always said I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member! Thanks for your help,
Mike
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Why not both?

Mike,

We enjoy the advantages of both. In Calif. there is a very strong Forum camping group. We have big Rallies and Notreallyarallyrallies where groups of us will go camp and have a great time together.

We also camp with the WBCCI of various Units and will be joining the Four Corners Unit in going to a balloon rally.

There are folks who camp with the WBCCI or the Forums but really why limit yourself?

Some folks are less than happy with the WBCCI International but most folks seem very happy with their local Units. So many pretty much ignore the International and have a lot of fun with the friends they have found in the Units.

You can have fun with both so don't limit yourself.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
hear hear

There are a ton of different reasons why people may love or hate the WBCC, and you'll find those reasons if you do a little searching on the forums and in other places on the web. However, you won't know whether you're happy in the club until you check out the experience for yourself. You may find you're happy with it, or not. The possibilities are so varied and so many that there's no doubt a place for you out there to rally, camp and have fun the way you like to.

California forum ralliers are the best, however.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Why the friction?

There are a lot of Airstreamers and we each have our opinions.
I think almost all of us really admire Wally and the intrepid caravans that he lead.

The current WBCCI seems to have departed from this adventurous spirit. They like meetings, dress codes, flag etiquette, etc. This is OK for some.

Others, like me have chosen to start a new unit, the Four Corners Unit with the notion of just having fun camping. I think there is no need for friction. Each of us should be free to do our own things.

Pick a unit that suits you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
I'm a new member and don't wish to start an arguement for sure. From reading posts it seems some folks really like the WBCC and others prefer a group from this forum? Would some of you please help me understand what's going on. I've always said I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member! Thanks for your help,
Mike
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Thank you for the info. I have been reading posts here for a month, but I feel like I've only scratched the surface.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Go Camping

Mike----The discussions you see here on this forum are mostly about dissatisification with the top leaders of the club. These leaders focus most of their time on the big annual rally which they plan and control. It moves around the US and is usually a long drive for most who attend. A small percentage of the membership attends this annual summer event. Approx 1 in 7 or so.

The typical camping trips in our local areas are planned and organized by local folks. Look up the local group (unit) nearest you. Check them out. Go camping with them. If you like one of these groups, then you can make an informed choice to join the WBCCI and the local unit or not.

Enjoy the camping experiences and the new friends you will make and don't worry about the rest of it.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Murphy's law

Just when I wasn't sure whether or not to renew my never-used WBCCI membership,I met the most delightful bunch of folks at a stopover at 29Palms, CA. The San Diego unit (www.airstreamsandiego.com) had one of their monthly rallies there, invited me to happy hour, fed me, treated me like one of theirs, and then actually stayed in touch after their rally was over.
Now what?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
There are a lot of Airstreamers and we each have our opinions.
I think almost all of us really admire Wally and the intrepid caravans that he lead.

The current WBCCI seems to have departed from this adventurous spirit. They like meetings, dress codes, flag etiquette, etc. This is OK for some.

Others, like me have chosen to start a new unit, the Four Corners Unit with the notion of just having fun camping. I think there is no need for friction. Each of us should be free to do our own things.

Pick a unit that suits you.
What is there dress code, flag etiquette, and etc, can you list there bylaws.....
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Certifiable

. , .
Godfather III

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Just when I wasn't sure whether or not to renew my never-used WBCCI membership,I met the most delightful bunch of folks at a stopover at 29Palms, CA. The San Diego unit (www.airstreamsandiego.com) had one of their monthly rallies there, invited me to happy hour, fed me, treated me like one of theirs, and then actually stayed in touch after their rally was over.
Now what?
Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in!
You know what to do! Have fun! Follow your heart.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Now what?
"Now what?" Go man go! Invite the rest of us too.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
newbie too

I'll plead ignorance too regarding the apparent contriversies over membership and rules. Seems to me that WBCCI and the Forums are like eating family style at a Chinese restaurant... take what you like and leave the rest for others. Usually, everyone leaves with a full stomach.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We like both the WBCCI and the Forums and belong to both. We are not real big "joiners". We kinda prefer that Forums Rallies. We plan to remain members of both.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Definate preferences....

Hello all -

Been to both WBCCI and Forums rallies. Have a DEFINATE preference... but then that is MY preference.... you need to find yours.

Try everything, then choose what you like.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
From what I've read it seems fair to say the WBCCI is the more formal group group compared to the Forum group. Since I'm a refugee from a bar-b-que pit, I think I'll try the forum group first. I really appreciate the replies to help a new person!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #15
Certifiable

. , .
Groucho wore a tux

Quote:
From what I've read it seems fair to say the WBCCI is the more formal group group compared to the Forum group. Since I'm a refugee from a bar-b-que pit, I think I'll try the forum group first. I really appreciate the replies to help a new person!
Well, I've been a starin' at yer post for sometime now. I can see where your comin' from. I hear ya. But I keep gettin' stuck on that word "formal."

In my experience, some of the folks in some of the local units around where I live are seriously deranged. They need help. Their idea of "formal" is wearing blue berets to a jammie party. They have rallys dedicated to pumpkin carving and ghost stories. Their campfires are all inclusive, big and full of song. Brush up on your Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Beatles, Dylan, James Taylor and get your guitar, harmonica and mandolin tuned. Don't worry about your singin' voice: volume and enthusiasm is all that counts.

Do yourself a favor though. Stop reading all this drivel and get out there camping! Check 'em all out and make up your mind that way. I happen to enjoy boondocking alone, camping with a friend, camping with two, camping with 25, camping with 125. They are all different and I find that variety is the spice of life.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Quote:
Mike
Hammer - I'm kinda in the same situation as you. The WBCC has always had a noise in the air reputation with SOB's and many of the threads on the subject are negative to the WBCC. I find I like the forum group and have attended forum rallies that were, in my opinion, top notch. My first rally with mostly WBCC folks will be the Balloon fest in Albuquerque.

Huge rallies are not my thing but even these have good stuff like vendor displays and tech demos so I just don't know
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Mike
I'm not a WBCCI member and have read many comments over the last 5-6 years about the organization. Since I wanted to be free to choose any activities I wanted to partake in and not be saddled with formalities, I jumped on the chance to meet a group in GA. for a mini rally of sorts. I believe this would have been the second with some of the members here. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone and had a great time. I've been to three more of these since then, only missing one because of prior committments.

Each informal rally gets larger with more trailers, mohos and participants. There is fun for everyone, young and older, and the best part is that no one is forced to do anything! You choose to be involved in whatever tickles your fancy. This even makes you want to volunteer to help set up for some of the activities the people come up with. It's amazing. For instance, for the Hiawassee, GA. trip in April, one activity centers on tips for barbequing a 100 lb. pig. I love to barbeque at the house so I'm signed up for that. I'm hoping to learn something. One rally had a demonstration on brake replacement but I missed it.

I would hazzard to guess that if there was a local WBCCI unit which had activities and was informal then I would join. If the opportunity presents itself then I will keep an open mind and consider it. Until then, I'm having the time of my life with the forum rallys.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #18
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
First thought, davidz71, you attended the Texas State Vintage rally which was a WBCCI event with perhaps 10% forums members in attendance. It was planned, scheduled and executed entirely by WBCCI unit members with the forums members attending as our guests. Would you please care to comment as to what you thought about that rally, whether or not you enjoyed yourself, would you encourage other forums members to attend such a rally and what you would change for next year, if anything?

Second thought, I'd also encourage Hammer to attend both types of activities. The only edge I see the WBCCI as having is only valuable if you value that quality. The asset that attracts me to WBCCI is the fact that I get to more intimately know the people I am attending a rally with at a Unit function because for the most part the same people show up time and again. Why is that important, well I was recently diagnosed for about two months with cancer. The doctors later determined I didn't have it, but during those two months it wouldn't be possible to replicate all the calls, letters, emails, visits and prayers that were sent my way. I received far, far more support from my unit's members than from my church of 38 years. You can't understand it until it happens to you what that meant, but at a time like that when your whole world is turned upside down, such support means everything to some of us. At forum rallies, those attending may or may not ever be seen again. You just don't get the chance to estalish quite the sense of family though for some that might be a good thing. Its whatever is your cup of tea. The main thing is to get out in your Airstream and have fun.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We stumbled into a Airstream rally w/our 310 years ago, all were sitting in
their Zip Dee chairs wearing their berets. They all waved until someone
noticed we had no numbers! All waves were withdrawn & eyes directed to
the ant activity.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #20
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Response to Mike Leary. Well, I've never been to a International Rally, maybe they do such things, but I've never ever seen anyone sitting around at happy hour wearing their berets at any WBCCI function I've ever attended. NO ONE in our unit EVER wears a beret at anything except the new officers when they are installed each year out of respect for Wally Byam. That one day or night for an hur or two is all that even they wear them. That's it. At a regional rally, you'll see the officers wear berets at certain events such as opening and closing ceremonies, but again, no one else wears them at all. I am so sorry such a thing happened to you. I'm sure that there are differences between people from unit to unit and from one geographic area to another, but don't think for a moment that just because something is done a certain way one place that it is possible to infer that is the way it is everywhere.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote