Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Jeez, lightenup....one more reason so few of us belong to WBCCI.
No, they were NOT wearing their berets, I was simply pointing out that the
group can get a little tight a..e.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
First thought, davidz71, you attended the Texas State Vintage rally...
Sorry, that wasn't me even though I was born in raised in Texas.

I'm glad that your unit contacted you and helped you through a rough time when diagnosed with cancer. Has your doctor gotten over the marks you left around his neck from your hands?

I have found that a number of the same individuals have been at every one of the informal rallys I have been to. It sure is nice to see the same familiar faces along with new ones.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Here in the Metro Detroit area, the rallies I have attended have had many of the same participants whether a WBCCI rally open to buddies or a forums rally open to everyone with many of the same WBCCI members attending. Many still I have run into at the Tin Can Tourists event here. We are all Airstreamers in the same area wanting to rally. At that level in that circumstance there is little differential between the functions. It is the people that make the event, their personalities and their participation and involvement.

Much of what causes division is the way in which the beans get counted and the rating of the different beans. Most of this exists in office or on paper and might even be undectectable in the normal course of socializing.

What does stand out is that mileage, yours, may vary considerably. It's all about finding a group of people that share your passions and ideas and do not intrude with superfluous and embelishment that could detract from the experience.

We have different circles in different areas and each group has its own priorities, strengths and perhaps peculiarities. Each member contributes to the group dynamic and imputs upon the whole. If you are searching to spend your time with like minded people, it is only you that can do the research and the determination for yourself.

Much that is posted that seems to flag the casual observer as unrest is politics and club business. It is not a prerequisite to follow along to happily participate in unit functions. Go have fun. If it's your thing than dig in, if not or if you are new, are you going to take someone elses opinion as your own? Probably not the best choice.

I don't think this addresses any issues peculiar to other groups. You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you aren't ever going to please all of the people all of the time. That really is so very true.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
[quote=wheel interested]...It is the people that make the event, their personalities and their participation and involvement.... It's all about finding a group of people that share your passions and ideas and do not intrude with superfluous and embelishment that could detract from the experience./quote]

I think those two sentences from wheel interested just about sums up my feelings.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #25
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I agree with Wheel interested and davidz71, it is the people that make the difference and how you relate to each other.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
WCCI is a good organization, but not everyone wants to be organized. Its a way to go on inexpensive caravans with good leadership and see this country in a way that most never can or will. The routes are preplaned, sites are secured for you, places of interest are booked, meals are provided, not all meals but many of them. You get to travel with other Airstreamers and the commraderie and friendships you make will last a lifetime. You not only meet people from your area but from all over this country. At the region level you will meet and rally with people from a wide area including your home and at the local level you will meet and get to know people in a way your never dreamed of. This is my extended family and I care deeply about them and their needs. We help each other without being asked or told. You can't stand on the outside and see or realize these things, you must be involved. The club belongs to the membership and they are in control of the direction the club takes. They are the ones that vote to approve or disapprove actions. It is the most democratic organization I have been involved in and I am proud to me one of its members.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I don't perceive friction between the forum group and the WBCCI. Many forum members are WBCCI members and vice/versa.

The friction that I see is within the WBCCI itself.

With the attempted name change last year and the attempt to allow non-airstream manufactured motor homes this year, well, that would do it.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
I don't perceive friction between the forum group and the WBCCI. Many forum members are WBCCI members and vice/versa.

The friction that I see is within the WBCCI itself.

With the attempted name change last year and the attempt to allow non-airstream manufactured motor homes this year, well, that would do it.

Although I am not politically inclined, I tend to agree with cosmotini, in addition I believe that the majority of forum members are fanatics about their Airstream (I see that as a good thing), while the minority of the WBCCI are fanatics about their club. It appears to me that the friction is internal to the WBCCI, where as the silent majority is bucking the minority to bring the club back to its original purpose, have fun caravaning and rallying as a group of individualists with the vision of freedom to explore in an AIRSTREAM. This forum is an active field of debate because it has all of the described types as members.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote