Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Where are my Washington DC area Airstreamers!?

Hello All!

I'm fairly new to the AirForums, and I'm looking to connect with everyone, but in particular, Washington DC areas Airstream enthusiasts, owners, veterans, etc. who can help me on my quest to become a part of the airstream community in 2015! I'm looking to learn as much as I can before I take the leap in early 2015.

I was originally convinced that I wanted a vintage airstream, that was gutted and that I could refurbish with my DIY skills and the help of family and contractors. I actually own a 23 Foot box truck that I gutted as a DIY project and business venture and turned it into one of Washington DC's first fashion trucks (boutique-on-wheels). So as a result, I have a little skill but not a enough to roll with the "big boys" yet. That's where you all come in, hopefully! This Airstream will not be for business, but for leisure road trips up and down the east coast (mostly south). It will be parked the majority of the time down south on family property, and will be used when I go to the property to visit my parents. But it needs to be pretty much fully functional for when my parent's house gets too crowded with other overnight guests.

So far I've figured out (I think) that I'd like the following: a 28-30 something footer, rear bedroom, with no major flooring issues or leak issues, no major axel/brake issues. Would like electrical and plumbing to be there (but doesn't have to be functional) so contractor can easily follow the original pattern and make replacements and upgrades. No furniture, mattresses or cushions, as I want to do a completely different look from the traditional. Plus I feel creepy about used mattresses and easily soiled fabrics. I don't mind the original cabinetry, doors, framing etc. I'll refurbish it as needed.

Sooooo, I guess I first need help with deciding on newer vs. vintage, I'm trying to stay under $20,000. And The best places and best practices for finding something similar to what I want. I have many saved searches on different airstream and vintage seller sites, but any suggestions are welcome!! I know I've rambled on quite a bit, so forgive me, but any help you can offer me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
AirstrmLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Here's a suggestion for you: WDCU
Old 12-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Here's a suggestion for you: WDCU
Thanks for that link SteveH. Do you have to already own an Airstream to join??
Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstrmLuv View Post
Thanks for that link SteveH. Do you have to already own an Airstream to join??
To join, yes, but I'm certain you would be welcomed as a visitor/prospective owner to any event they have. It would be a really good opportunity for you to ask questions of Airstream owners without having to sift thru these forums, and maybe take a look at some trailers also.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
"Where are the Washington DC Airstreamers?

Probably stuck in traffic..

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
"Where are the Washington DC Airstreamers?

Probably stuck in traffic..

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow
Actually, I think they are one of the largest WBCCI units around.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We're here! You're welcome to join WDCU at any of our rallies. If the webmaster (me) would get off his duff and update the website, I'd point you to the list of rallies next year. But I can tell you the first one is in April in Prince George's County, at the historic Marietta property.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I second the vote for WDCU - a great group of people and lots of rallies to attend with good ideas passed along freely.

For your price range you can consider something in late 1980's to early 1990's. There are several models with rear bedrooms - and don't overlook twin beds - twin beds sometimes gets a bad rap because people say they want to snuggle and such. You can certainly snuggle in a twin bed and the layout provides much more room for dressing, storage, etc.

Be sure to register to receive the daily Airstream Classified postings. Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale I've seen several 1988 - 1992, 28-30 footers listed in the classified for $12k - $18k. Right in your price range.

Good Luck.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info! And hope everyone's enjoying the holidays! Okay, so I'm definitely gonna look into joining the WDCU chapter, and I'm not far from Prince George's county, so I will plan to attend the rally.*

I'm also checking out a few Airstream over the holidays that fit nicely into my range (granted they are all that the seller is saying they are).* I've been doing my research so I should be able to "eyeball" the basic checkpoints, but if someone could point me to the DC area inspectors that would be great too! Thanks again! Wish me luck!
Old 09-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #10
RoamingPo8t

1962 19' Globetrotter
VIENNA , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
We're here! You're welcome to join WDCU at any of our rallies. If the webmaster (me) would get off his duff and update the website, I'd point you to the list of rallies next year. But I can tell you the first one is in April in Prince George's County, at the historic Marietta property.
Hi Skater, I hope you can see this! I have been looking for an airsteam to buy for years. This year my partner finally was convinced it was necessary! I prefer an early 60s with 17-19 feet length for now, for short 2-5 day trips around the greater DC area. I am looking for either a mostly original vintage model with a solid frame and a functional bathroom, or a totally frame off restoration project. I don't have a limit on budget, as I will eventually gut the entire trailer and replace everything. For now I just wanted a trailer that we can get off sleeping on the ground when camping. I am looking for a professional inspector to help me to determine the degree of restoration necessary. Could you please recommend someone in the area, or recommend a place to look for one? I will pay for the service of course, and many thanks for your help!
roamingpo8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingpo8t View Post
Hi Skater, I hope you can see this! I have been looking for an airsteam to buy for years. This year my partner finally was convinced it was necessary! I prefer an early 60s with 17-19 feet length for now, for short 2-5 day trips around the greater DC area. I am looking for either a mostly original vintage model with a solid frame and a functional bathroom, or a totally frame off restoration project. I don't have a limit on budget, as I will eventually gut the entire trailer and replace everything. For now I just wanted a trailer that we can get off sleeping on the ground when camping. I am looking for a professional inspector to help me to determine the degree of restoration necessary. Could you please recommend someone in the area, or recommend a place to look for one? I will pay for the service of course, and many thanks for your help!
roamingpo8t:

I know Skater is on Air Forums from time to time but not sure how often. Here's a link to WDCU rallies for 2020 (not much time left in the rally schedule at this point of the year):

https://wdcu.airstreamclub.net/2020-...ally-schedule/

Your quest for finding an Airstream is not unachievable but is not necessarily easy either. Keep an eye on all the usual places - craigslist, AirstreamClassifieds, RV Trader, Tin Can Tourists, etc. Do a search for shops that perform vintage Airstream restoration as you may find a trailer sitting at a shop somewhere that is available for sale.

It's good that you have no budget constraints... many of these restoration projects can get to $50k and even $100k in a hurry and they take inordinate amounts of time. You may want to consider something much newer that is fully operational and travel with that while you look for that perfect vintage trailer. Many people we know have a new(er) trailer to use now while they restore, or have somebody else restore, their vintage unit. When the vintage restoration is complete, the new(er) unit can then be sold and not lose much money.

On Edit: just looked at AirstreamClassifieds and see a small vintage unit for sale in California. I realize that's on the other side of the United States but you may need to consider going a long distance to buy a trailer that suits you. Best wishes in your search.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote