Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post

This is a CanAm setup. I think I will stick with my Ram 1500.
The Argy looks Huge!

Looks like the Mini's running for its life, "Something's gonna eat me!"
Old 04-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I believe Can-Am set this up to demonstrate the capabilities of modern suspension, light weight, excellent braking, and low center of gravity when towing; deficits of truck-based tow vehicles.

Most will miss the point.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

doug k
Not me! :~)

Andy actually did this for a customer, a local business. I asked if he could take the set up to Alumapalooza but he said as he didn't own it, he couldn't. Still, it was an interesting exercise for him.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I believe Can-Am set this up to demonstrate the capabilities of modern suspension, light weight, excellent braking, and low center of gravity when towing; deficits of truck-based tow vehicles.

doug k
I was just amused. That is a little Argy. Few things would make it look so big.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
For a family on infrequent vacations there is a wide variety of vehicles. For a couple full-timing and not dependent on a fixed base property/building then a 1T pickup or van is the easy choice. "Easy" in that one is not ever constrained by carrying four seasons of supplies: hot, cold, seashore, snow skiing, whatever. It's more than just clothing. Might be hunting, fishing, biking equipment. Hobbies. Volunteer activities. A business. Etc.

Here's a couple who full-timed for 23-years with a Silver Streak:

Paws Travels Silver Streak Trailer

When we decided . . to go full timing [1979], we wanted a well-built trailer that [was] easy to tow with lots of storage for all of our gear. Since we sold our house, we knew that everything we wanted to take with us had to fit into the trailer and it did.

" . . Before [we bought] our Silver Streak, we measured and calculated the storage of other 32 foot trailers, this included Airstream, Avion, Holiday Rambler and several others. Silver Streak by far had the most storage of all, with over 250 cubic feet.

We enjoy a lot of hobbies, and so in the trailer we took with us two bags of golf clubs, two tennis rackets, skin diving equipment, hunting gear and all of our fishing tackle for fresh water as well as saltwater. We had winter clothes for snow skiing as well as for the summer."

One may not think that one would ever carry so much stuff. But for fulltiming better too much room or weight capacity than not enough until a pattern of use is established. And that will be a few years down the road.

One can fulltime in a 16'. But one may start with a new 27' and shortly thereafter trade for a recent 34'. Towing either isn't that different for operating expenses (fuel), but payload capacity can be another story.

It's easier to "oversize" the TV and to later dial in a better choice once the TT size is set in concrete.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Didn't mean to upset anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Why stir the pot? Did you drive that set up, or any CanAm setup? No one is saying to tow a 28' trailer with a Mini.

Tom
I think of stirring the pot as important, just as if you were making a good soup, or mixing concrete it is important to stir so all the ingredients are mixed together. Someone had mentioned a Mini and I remembered that someone had actually towed with one. I did not make any comments that it was a wise choice nor an unwise choice. I simply stated that I was going to stick with my Ram 1500, as I do have a 29' trailer. As luck would have it also do not have a Mini.

I have never had any contact with the CanAm folks so would not begin to state an opinion on what they do. I am simply presenting that there are options out there and any individual who is looking for the perfect setup should read and search as many opinions as they can, balance that with as much factual knowledge they can acquire, then make the best decision for them and their circumstances.

I am grateful that there are differing opinions here on the forum. Now should we change the subject to tires or hitches?

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Apologies for the overreaction - I admit to being short on patience with CanAm critics, priming me to misinterpret the intent of your post.

Doug did mention a Mini - ironically as a toad rather than as a tow-er.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
We pull our 27' FB International with a 2010 5.7L Toyota Tundra CrewMax. We have traveled from Southern California to Washington State and through the High Sierra and Cascade Mountains. We average between 11-12.5 MPG. I love the way the truck tows our AS. I also use it as my daily driver, it gets okay MPG for a truck and it has plenty of room in the front and back seats. It has a smooth and comfortable ride both with and without the trailer (the 3/4 ton trucks I test drove were very stiff and had a very harsh ride). However, I do need to be careful not overload the truck bed since it is a 1/2 ton and not a 3/4 ton truck (although a salesman at Toyota claimed the Tundra was designed as a 3/4 ton but sold as a 1/2 ton truck for lower insurance rates..... what???). If we had purchased a longer/heavier Airstream, we would have gone with a 3/4 ton truck. A word of warning.... there are a LOT of strong opinions on this particular topic. The Tundra works great for us, but you will need to figure out what will work best for you.
Just out of curiosity, which break controller are you using?

Cheers!
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote