Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Oskaloosa , Iowa
Was anybody else scared?

Hello,
I'm Carole and I am turning the dream into reality. I'm from the Midwest, intend to be a full timer with no particular agenda but staying warm and fed. I also have a place to be in San Felipe, Baja.
I will be traveling with dogs who will most likely set the agenda and itinerary.

I've read a number of books and feel like the more I know, the less I know, so I'll just learn as I go!

I would appreciate input on the following:

Am I crazy to head out on my own as a single woman at a "mature age" with pets?
I'm planning to purchase Data Storm, an online all the time Internet system. I wonder if anyone has used it or of there's a better way?

I listed my house for sale today. Was anyone else scared at the reality of actually getting started? Thanks and hope to join you all soon. Carole
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole
Hello,
I'm Carole and I am turning the dream into reality. I'm from the Midwest, intend to be a full timer with no particular agenda but staying warm and fed. I also have a place to be in San Felipe, Baja.
I will be traveling with dogs who will most likely set the agenda and itinerary.

I've read a number of books and feel like the more I know, the less I know, so I'll just learn as I go!

I'm planning to purchase Data Storm, an online all the time Internet system. I wonder if anyone has used it or of there's a better way?

I listed my house for sale today. Was anyone else scared at the reality of actually getting started? Thanks and hope to join you all soon. Carole
Carole,

I'd be scared, too, but if it's really what you want to do, then go for it.
Can't tell you much about Data storm. I don't think you're crazy, just brave, and able to follow your dreams and desires.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We have several memebers who haev done just this with great success and many others who would LOVE to do this...

Crazy? Can't say, the adventure you've proposed seems reasonable. Welcome to the forums.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Finding your spot

Carole:

You may find your "spot" at Texas Airstream Harbor, an all Airstream enclave deep in the East Texas Piney Woods.

welcome

Several females such as yourself are in residence there.

There are no less than a half dozen other such Airstream retreats across the US.

You may also consider one of the Airstream Only parks in the Northern US during the summer, and return to your Baja retreat in the winter.

Fred's Airstream Archives - Airstream Parks

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Welcome to the club.
I purchased a trailer April 06, put my house on the market and headed west. I was a bit scared but was more excited about the adventure ahead.

Go for it. If you are planning on leaving the country with pets. you will need current shots and documentation for each one.
Weapons leave them behind. Staying online. get a D-link mobile router and a Airdata card from the Wireless provider of your choice. I have Verizon.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Sounds Terrific!!!

WELCOME ABOARD!!

YOU GO GIRL!!

AND GIVE THEM FOUR LEGGERS A HUG FOR US
Old 09-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Scared

I sold my house and pulled out on 25 May 2005 and haven't looked back.
Fulltimeing is what you make of it.
I use Internetinmotion, but have never heard of data storm. Mine is high speed and I wouldn't be without it. Free wifi is not as availible or reliable as you might think.
I say go for it.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If I were going to do that, I would look into joining some camping club, like the WBCCI (Airstream specific). That would be a great way to meet up with others along your travels, join in on some caravans, and meet lots of other folks who do the same thing, have done it, or want to do it. You can learn so much from folks who have been around already. I hear Good Sam has great discounts on campsites as well.

Good luck on your adventures. I'm one of those who WISHES they could drop everything and do that!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Of course you can do it. Best of luck in your great adventure.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome, Carole... Any new direction in life can be scary, but if htat's what you want to do, yoiu can do it! Just take a deep breath, do your homework, perhaps connect to communities of like-minded folks (like some here), and enjoy the dream!

Glad you are with us...we are with you!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Go for it!

Quote:
Hello,

Hi, Carole! I plan on doing the same thing some time in the next year.

What scares me is not knowing anything about Airstreams, except that I love the way they look inside and out, and love all their features. The whole buying process is scaring me. Also maintenance. I'm not very good at keeping up with maintenance in general, so there will be a steep learning curve and I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I feel like I need an introductory course on Airstream mechanics and maintenance from an Airstream expert--wish there were workshops for newbies.

I think it's a great idea and I bet you'll love it. Having dogs for company should make the experience a lot more fun and less threatening. I have two very fuzzy dogs and would not do this without them. I'm probably in the same age range as you, and for once in my life I'm not tied down by responsibilities to offspring or parents, so it's the right time to get on the road.

I can't wait to get out there and see old friends and relatives, and spend some time in mountains across the continent, especially the northwest. Just not sure how to do the shopping/buying/learning thing.

Please let us know about your progress! You are definitely inspiring me.

Judith
Just lookin for something small.
GoinWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
What will be interesting is if you are willing and able to provide feedback as you go. What's working, what's not. I'm sure you will get a lot of assistance from those on the forum who are doing this now, or have in the past. You certainly are not alone as well over one million Americans are living on the road. It is amazing what people do when they undertake a new to them experience and how much they grow and develop new knowledge and appreciate life.

Our friend who was extremely shy to the point of it being a problem had always had dreams of singing in a choir. Her hubby convinced her to take a few voice lessons and from there the instructor suggested a choral group who had an opening for someone with her vocal range. She's a different lady now, it is unbelievable how big a change it made in her life, and thus her families. It took courage on her part but also the desire to do it and be successful at it.

IMHO, I'd stay in formal campgrounds until you get enough experience with your set up and with the people around you before boon docking or going to the less structured camping areas. It would give you a nice transition period. What ever you do though, if you have a question I'm sure you will find what you need here to answer it.

Good luck, take care, and keep us posted.

Barry
Old 09-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
New to Airstreaming!

Currently Looking...
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Hi Carol. We're heading down the same path, almost... house is on the market; we're busy downsizing as much as possible. I think we're going to travel for 4-6 months and then contract for 6-8 months. We both have IT jobs and are wide open to moving anywhere.

We're brainstorming on a list of things we want to make sure we have solid answers to: Airstream Dream » Prerequisite Checklist

A few books and websites and everyone here has been very, very helpful so far.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I too want to say that you should follow your dreams. One thing to keep in mind is, that in Mexico, dogs are not treated on the same level as in the USA. Keep a close eye on them while you are down there so someone does not treat them badly. You had also better have a good AC, for you will need it almost all the time south of the border. A good electrical connection will be vital, and that can be hard to find in Mexico.
There is no time like now, so go for it....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Good luck Carole. It sounds great. We have spent a great deal of time in our AS in Baja, and it's been great. We always travel with our two dogs and our cat. We are very close to finishing a house near San Felipe. We may turn out to be neighbors some day, and fellow airstreamers too. Post your questions and feel free to PM us too. R and D
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Got the T-shirt!

Quote:
Hello,

I'm not your typical fulltimer - I still work and spend most of my time at local campgrounds - but I say screw the red hat and buy the Airstream!

Buy bigger than you think you want 25' minimum and be prepared to really trim back your wardrobe and kitchen stuff - and keep editing them. I've got an Airstream and a "Sparestream" because I was a bit about towing a big one... UH save yourself $30K and start with something with a separate bedroom. The 22' is now a great guest house and I've got friends staying there now, but I should sell it really. Biggest adjustment? No more packratting. I used to say "the woman who dies with the most fabric wins" - now it's "Sew it - or throw it!" One thing I did right? Got a BIGASS tow vehicle that can tow almost anything Airstream makes - 3/4 ton Suburban... but now I'm realizing how much better mileage is in a diesel. If the right Diesel Silverado comes along (Or if I could get a Ford F-250 WITH the cute "dirty jobs" guy included.... )

I elected not to restore an old one because I wanted to GO, not restore. A quick look at the classifieds right here will show you that quite a few people sell Airstreams that are only a few years old. This is often a substantial savings over brand new. Most upsize or downsize - some develop health problems or have a change of heart. Spend a substantial time looking before you buy. TEST the bed and the bath. If you aren't comfortable with both of those you'll never be fully happy with the trailer.

Housework that takes 1/2 hour a week will be an adjustment you'll love - but I do have to "spring clean" 5 or six times a year. When I travel my Airstream either picks up dirt or shakes it loose from nooks and crannies. With no "foyer" it's almost impossible to avoid tracking stuff in. The ordinary campground dust will permeate your whole trailer too - there just aren't that many square feet inside. I also have to do the periodic edit of stuff before it accumulates.

WELCOME! Paula Ford
Old 09-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
South Weymouth , Massachusetts
Carol's Adventure

Hi Carol
You go girl! Get yourself an old pair of boots at a thrift store, two pairs actually and leave them outside of your "home" at night.Also, make sure you have cell service wherever you go.Be friendly, but not to friendly,never tell people you are actually alone.(My friend is coming by to see me tonight etc.)
I hate to be a downer but not everyone is nice out there.Always be cautious, also get AAA, it will come in handy for most auto problems and gives great advice on campgrounds.Keep us posted. I wish I had your guts! be safe and be well.
anniescc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Sometimes fear is a sign of intelligence.IMHO

It seems like you are using fear to your advantage, by reading and educating yourself , while not letting fear run your life.

I don't think I could be a fulltime fulltimer. I like my " farm" too much. I " live" in my camper 50 to 80 nights a year. That number will go up when retire. Something like, 50 nights at music festivals, 50 nights camping at friends and relatives houses, 50 nights road tripping.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
If the right Diesel Silverado comes along (Or if I could get a Ford F-250 WITH the cute "dirty jobs" guy included.... )

WELCOME! Paula Ford
Hand off Mike Rowe! I saw him first!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
You go girl

Carole, I only hope you love the life style as much as we do. We've been doing it for nine years and are sooooo comfortable in our 34'. It's not somthing you can't reverse after you've done your thing for a year or two and decide it's not for you. Right now we're in the mountains of NC for our eighth season up here. Nice cool temps and getting cooler everyday. We'll be heading down the mountain on the 28th. When you buy something like clothes, be ready to throw somethig out. If not, your hanging locker will be jam packed. If you have any specific questions for us, feel free. Have fun and enjoy your new life style. Keep the shinny side up. No need to hurry.
FlaAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote